What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got 2, 10# turkey's roasted & d-boned to bring to mom's this weekend for Easter.

I will be baking a Pizzagaina (Easter Meat Pie) from my Mom's recipe and a cheesecake later for tomorrow.

I will be baking a Pizzagaina (Easter Meat Pie) from my Mom's recipe and a cheesecake later for tomorrow.

I love Pizzagaina as long as the crust is not too thick. I have had it made with a bread dough and also a pastry crust. I prefer the pastry crust. :angel:

I love Pizzagaina as long as the crust is not too thick. I have had it made with a bread dough and also a pastry crust. I prefer the pastry crust. :angel:

I've never heard of Pizzagaina, you will post a pic, MsM?

And the recipe for those of us who grew up in little Scandinavia?

Mom would never share her recipe for meat pie with anyone, not even hers sisters. Since she has passed I have respected her wishes and have not given the recipe out.

Here are pics from last year. I will post new pics if I can get a new snap.

img_1253569_0_8fc874b484a802bc56b80c0ee7af7948.jpg

img_1253569_1_7e24083e385aeee5612c196fa49d783e.jpg

I'm guessing you use a pastry dough instead of a pizza dough and eggs, ham, etc. as the filling. It sounds very rich. Do you eat it hot/warm/cold? Is it sorta like a two-crusted quiche?

I am so happy that you use a pastry crust. For those not in the know. It is basically ricotta cheese with pieces of meat, eggs, cheeses and seasonings. Italians use salami, mortadella and other meats. The following is a simplified recipe.

Pizzagaina Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The prep work can be quite lengthy depending on what you put in it. And the ingredients can be very expensive. Around here at Easter time, the cost of cold cuts jump in price. Italians use a large deep pan for it. Not two single pie pans. They have a special pan just for that. The pieces of meat are cut into dice size. It can be served hot or cold. I like it at room temperature. It is often left on the sideboard to be eaten a couple of hours after the big meal. It is not a dessert or a main dish. But everyone wants to take a slice home. :angel:

Nice pics, MsM, and great explanation, Addie! Thanks!

Now MsM can PM us all the secret recipe!

Last edited:
Some additional remarks. You can use a large spring form pan in place of the two pie pans that the recipe calls for. Traditionally, you use seven meats and seven cheeses. Just like the Seven Fishes at Christmas time. I don't know what it is that the Italians have for the number seven. Don't use the pizza dough recipe for the dough. It is too thick and detracts from the pie as a whole. Use a pie crust or phyllo dough crust.

I am sure there are other recipes out there. Just google it and you will find all sort of variations. Please no salsas, or other additions that are not Italian in nature. This is considered a Holy Pie. It is the creme da la creme of the Easter feast. If you need any other information, I will only be too glad to answer any questions. :angel:

Seven cheeses and seven meats?!!! No wonder it is expensive to make. I am full just looking at various recipes and pictures! (PF, don't look or lick your monitor--you'll gain at least a pound). One recipe I checked out called for 15 eggs (that I could do, the girls would be more than happy to supply the eggs), but SEVEN cheeses and SEVEN meats? And pastry? Wow, sounds extremely filling.

Seven cheeses and seven meats?!!! No wonder it is expensive to make. I am full just looking at various recipes and pictures! (PF, don't look or lick your monitor--you'll gain at least a pound). One recipe I checked out called for 15 eggs (that I could do, the girls would be more than happy to supply the eggs), but SEVEN cheeses and SEVEN meats? And pastry? Wow, sounds extremely filling.

Very filling. And DON'T use any salt. There is enough in the cold cuts. I am mentally going through making it trying to remember everything you should know. Since this is a Holy Pie for the Italians, I would suggest that you can cut back on the ingredients for the cold cuts and cheeses. Believe me when I say serve a very thin slice to everyone. After eating a big main meal, nobody will be able to finish a large piece even a couple of hours later. I know a lot of Italians that add the traditional Italian seasonings. Oregano, thyme, etc. You can do the prep work for the meat and cheeses the day before. There may be more to come. :angel:

Thank you.

Just to clarify "pizza" means pie. Pizzagaina has nothing to do with pizza you get at a pizzeria. That is an American invention.

I don't use 7 meats or 7 cheeses or 15 eggs. I use a deep pie plate. But I am thinking of making individual mini meat pies. But I will decide later after dinner dishes are cleaned up. I may also watch some of the ten commandments first. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom