What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tanks. I will try to remember to take a picture when it is finished in the morning. I will be hurrying to get it done to take for brunch at friends house. I will also be making my mini cheddar quiche bites. Sounds like a busy morning, and we need to leave the house at 10:00. :ohmy:

I can see that you are busy Chops, no worries if you dont have the time :)

Taa daa! Here it is! I toasted the coconut for the body to have a little contrast from the tail. It was fun to put together.

image-3603062610.jpg

image-2463074896.jpg

I finally got the Swedish Almond Cake in the oven. My recipe is a standard one.

Sliced almonds, cooking spray or oil
1-1/4 c sugar
1 stick butter, melted (to which I add 3 tsp fresh lemon juice--my grandma's addition)
2/3 c milk
1-1/2 tsp almond extract
grated zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp cardamon (I use the seeds that come in the white pods)
1/4 c ground whole almonds (the brown ones--my grandma's addition)
1-1/4 c flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Spray the pan and sprinkle with almonds.
2. Combine sugar, milk, egg, almond extract, and zest in a bowl.
3. Add the ground almonds, baking powder, and cardamon to the flour.
4. Blend that in, add the melted butter to which the lemon juice is added (I let it cool for about 5-10 minutes before doing that).
5. Pour into the pan (I start at one end and finish at the other), bake on the middle rack at 350 for 45-50 minutes. The cake HAS to pull away from the pan. You MUST let it cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a plate (I can't FIND the special plate on which the cake fits perfectly...it is stashed away here somewhere...). If you let it sit in the pan too long, it won't come out. If you take it out too soon, it breaks. I tend to twist my pan to get it out. And, I spray the pan liberally with cooking spray or rub well with oil before putting the sliced almonds in the bottom. To serve, you slice in the indent of the pan (that is you are using the pan that is made for this cake). If you are using another pan, cut it anyway you want <g>. I think my aunt used to double this recipe and bake it in an angel food or Bundt pan--I'll ask her when I see her in May. Always with the almonds put in the bottom of the pan and the cake flipped (an upside-down almond cake). I find it is better the next day--especially the chocolate version. I'll have some pics later if I can figure out what I'm going to flip it onto...maybe just a cutting board.

Somehow I ran out of baking powder last week and didn't realize until half way through the recipe. Thankfully I live very close to a 24 hour grocery store! I don't know how that could have happened, I almost always have a backup! While in the club store I picked up the two pack of rumford, for the same price as the tiny can that I bought at the grocery store!

Made that biscuit recipe from the Southern Living magazine mentioned here a while ago (that recipe had me buy a digital subscription). This is the second time and they are so awesome, they are now going to be my go-to biscuits! Just perfect!

Chopper that is great!

It looks like the dirt is Oreo crumbs but what are the carrots made of?

Thanks. The carrots were made out of fruit roll-ups. My gosh this was a hit. The young adults at brunch thought it was great. We didn't have any kids there, but everyone acted like kids when they saw the cake. I even left a couple of black jelly beans in the Oreo dirt. ;) we had a wonderful Easter. Happy Easter to all! :)

Back
Top Bottom