What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today we are going to be making sausage rolls :yum:

We will be mincing up pork sausages and adding some fennel seeds, should turn out lovely with the puff pastry :)

That is purdy! You have a recipe for that one? sounds good!

I used this one. I warn you, this woman's idea of a loaf pan is different then mine. Her loaf pan must be twice the size of mine! I ended up doing it free form on a baking sheet. Next time I would half the recipe and I think it would fit the traditional sized loaf pan fine. I also only used 5 cups of the flour and added about a 1/4 of a cup of more of water because it seemed too dry and crumbly. Again, next time I would cut the recipe in half, using 2 1/2 cups of flour and only one egg, leave out the extra yolk.

But after a few alterations it was delicious! I froze half the loaf because it was huge!

Cottage Cheese Dill Bread | Annie's Eats

Last edited:
going to bake the cake and maybe make the buttercream for my partner's birthday party tomorrow, need to go to Penzy's for some more cocoa powder first, this could be a bad thing since that shopping center is impossible to find parking on a saturday. I may just go to the store and get some Ghiradelli cocoa powder instead.

I am thinking about making some semolina bread as well.

The dough for a pair of loaves of bacon-and-egg bread has just about finished its first rise. The bacon is cooked and crumbled and I'll be ready to form the loaves. The house should smell yummy really soon.

While the oven's still hot I'm going to make some cornbread to have with our split pea/ham soup that's simmering on the stove. It's cold, windy and rainy here today, so a day of baking and comfort food is in order.

I used this one. I warn you, this woman's idea of a loaf pan is different then mine. Her loaf pan must be twice the size of mine! I ended up doing it free form on a baking sheet. Next time I would half the recipe and I think it would fit the traditional sized loaf pan fine. I also only used 5 cups of the flour and added about a 1/4 of a cup of more of water because it seemed too dry and crumbly. Again, next time I would cut the recipe in half, using 2 1/2 cups of flour and only one egg, leave out the extra yolk.

But after a few alterations it was delicious! I froze half the loaf because it was huge!

Cottage Cheese Dill Bread | Annie's Eats

Thank you, this looks so good!

Still feeling the need to play in yeast, so I've begun the task of making a recipe of big cinnamon rolls. They're on their first rise and it won't be long before I roll and cut them and set them to rise for the last time. Gonna smell good in this house pretty soon.

Still feeling the need to play in yeast, so I've begun the task of making a recipe of big cinnamon rolls. They're on their first rise and it won't be long before I roll and cut them and set them to rise for the last time. Gonna smell good in this house pretty soon.

You must be getting in all your yeasty licks before the weather turns too hot to bake. Reverse hibernation.:LOL:

You must be getting in all your yeasty licks before the weather turns too hot to bake. Reverse hibernation.:LOL:

Sounds like a viable explanation, PF, but I make all our bread products so I mess around in yeast no matter the temperature of the weather.

It's rather therapeutic for me and certainly provides instant gratification as I see the dough rise and the product becomes what was intended.

Thankfully, I seem to always have "intended" and no unplanned "oops" surprises. Guess that's because I've been at it so many years. I've memorized many of my bread recipes and could probably do them in my sleep.

I am so looking forward to slowing down at some point and just cooking/baking. I find my extra time is taken up with keeping current with my specialty in nursing and the day-to-day household things. And doing silly things like training for the 10k next month...crazy!

Here's the birthday cake that I made for my partner's birthday party today.

It started with 2 recipes of Hershey's perfectly chocolate cake, baked separately in 9x13 pans. I split each cake into 2 thin layers to make a 4 layer cake. I made Swiss meringue buttercream (from Woodland bakery blog, formerly crumb boss).

Here is how the layering went, layer of cake, with a thin layer of buttercream sprinkled with shaved dark chocolate.
IMG_20130428_131915.jpg

After all the layers done, I popped it in the freezer to firm up, then trimmed the sides to even them up.
IMG_20130428_140759.jpg

I crumb coated with buttercream, so that the chocolate ganache would have something to hang on to, this part didn't need to be pretty.
IMG_20130428_141322.jpg

Then I trimmed the cake board to just the size of the cake to get it ready for the ganache glaze
IMG_20130428_144713.jpg

Then poured a whole bunch of chocolate ganache over the top. One of these days I'm going to make even more glaze, so I can do one big pour for a smoother finish.
IMG_20130428_145516.jpg

Then decorated it with some more buttercream, I was going to do blue flowers, but I had no blue color, I'm not really sure how that could possibly happen... Still don't own a leaf tip, I have multiples of everything else:wacko:
I also pressed some "chocolate jimmies" on the sides.
IMG_20130428_154215.jpg

Now all that's left is eating it!

OMG. Staring and drooling.....

A fine job, Bakechef! Rob will love it!

Happy Birthday Rob!!!

My partner informed me this morning that the get together that we are going to is pot luck...

Here is what I came up with at the last minute.

Red velvet truffle cupcakes

Made a divot in the cupcakes

IMG_20130504_140211.jpg

Filled with dark chocolate ganache (the truffle part of the cupcake)
IMG_20130504_141134.jpg

Then frosted with a cream cheese frosting that was mixed with some Swiss meringue buttercream that was left over from the cake I made sunday (stored in freezer). Melted some of the ganache and drizzled over the top.
IMG_20130504_141914.jpg

I'm not using my fancy camera for these, mainly because my phone uploads the pictures instantly to my google account and makes it really easy to post here!

Back
Top Bottom