What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been very interested in the question of wedding cakes as there has been a series of programmes on television about wedding cake companies all over America. The cakes ranged from the beautiful to the downright weird. One couple wanted a cake which was a life-sized, technically accurate copy of the bridegroom's DJ deck with battery-operated turntables!!

Over here the traditional wedding cake is a rich fruit one. Have American wedding cakes always been sponge cake or is this a recent fashion? Mind you, there are still brides here who want to get away from the traditional. I offered to do the cake for my cousin's daughter's wedding.... until I learned that she wanted a tower of 200 very elaborately decorated cupcakes on a stand! She threw a real bridezilla tantrum when I politely said I couldn't possible do it and threatened to forbid me entrance to the wedding reception! Her mother eventually calmed her down but it was a really spectacular paddy while it lasted.

Yes, traditionally cakes here in the US are of the sponge variety, mostly like a Victoria sponge with many different recipes. White cake is the most common, made with only whites and not yolks. I've never seen a fruit cake as a wedding cake here but know that they are common in the UK. Wedding cakes used to be almost always white cake flavored lightly with almond extract, but now each tier can be a different flavor, and elaborate cakes can have multiple flavors of cake and filling in each tier to create a certain flavor profile, these are usually very expensive from high end bakeries.

Have you looked at any other Hershey recipe? They have several. Also look at any of the makers of chocolate. They all have test kitchens and a recipe file for you to peruse through. Ghiradelli, Bakers, etc. I am sure you are aware of others. You right about the Hershey one we all rave about. It certainly has a strong chocolate flavor, but it is not light. Very moist though.

Don't forget, we want a picture of the final result. We also want pics of the wedding. I feel so excited for you and your partner. :angel:

I am not sure how much you realize how grateful I am to have cheerleaders like you and others here on the forum, it makes a guy feel great!

There will definitely be pictures! Now that I think that I have the vanilla recipe perfected, now the fun part of eating a bunch of chocolate cake layers to find just the right one!

My criteria is that it has to be from scratch, easy to mix, without a long list of ingredients. Since I'll be doing this in my mom's kitchen and will have to buy every single ingredient (mom doesn't bake much anymore) and will be pressed for time it needs to be recipes that are as stress free and as easy to execute as possible.

My Mother always made fruitcake for family weddings.

They were small pieces wrapped in tissue and tied with a satin ribbon. We always used to try and hide when it was time to wrap a couple hundred of those little suckers!

Single wedding guests were supposed to put them under their pillows and dream about the person they were going to marry.

I always ate mine! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am not sure how much you realize how grateful I am to have cheerleaders like you and others here on the forum, it makes a guy feel great!

There will definitely be pictures! Now that I think that I have the vanilla recipe perfected, now the fun part of eating a bunch of chocolate cake layers to find just the right one!

My criteria is that it has to be from scratch, easy to mix, without a long list of ingredients. Since I'll be doing this in my mom's kitchen and will have to buy every single ingredient (mom doesn't bake much anymore) and will be pressed for time it needs to be recipes that are as stress free and as easy to execute as possible.

It may sound too simple but, how about that black cake or wacky cake similar to one AndyM made recently.

It is easy, moist, dark and mighty tasty! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It may sound too simple but, how about that black cake or wacky cake similar to one AndyM made recently.

It is easy, moist, dark and mighty tasty! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'll put them on the list. It's been years since I made wacky cake, I remember it being delicious.

Now I am hungry for wacky cake! I will have to have a slice of my pumpkin spice bread that I made yesterday. I made cookies too, but was able to not sample them because I had the bread that has no sugar, just a little agave syrup, and that was satisfying. The guys are loving the cookies!

I baked a Pan di Spagna with two tiers of vanilla and chocolate pastry cream (Genovese cream) each section bathed in Alchermes liquor. It is a version of Torta d Italia.

The layers are cooling now for Glenn's birthday cake. He asked for coconut cake this year so I am making this coconut cake, which sounded soooooo good. The layers are gorgeous. Can't wait to slather them with the cream cheese icing.

His birthday is tomorrow which will allow the layers to settle in and moisten up. It should be tasty with loads of coconut in the layers and coated with even more coconut.

BakeChef! First how much chocolate cake are you planning? Second: sponge, genoise or chiffon texture. I have Shrek's old bakery book, the recipes make between 5 lb 12 oz to 6 lb 7 oz batches.

BakeChef! First how much chocolate cake are you planning? Second: sponge, genoise or chiffon texture. I have Shrek's old bakery book, the recipes make between 5 lb 12 oz to 6 lb 7 oz batches.

I am just doing a 9" tier with 3 layers about an inch thick each (going for 4" tier after filling). I prefer the creaming method sponge or something similar. I'm prepared to scale the recipe up or down if needed. And of course I use a scale for measuring.

Wedding cake prototype #1 came out really good.

3 thin layers of white cake with a bit of almond flavoring, each layer spread with a bit of Polaner seedless raspberry jam and topped with whipped white chocolate ganache and iced with swiss meringue buttercream. The only thing that I'll change is to use my recipe for whipped ganache, the one in America's test kitchen family baking book was good, but mine is not as soft and it is easy to work with as a filling.

I thought that the fruit spread gave just the right amount of raspberry flavor, and I don't have to go through the trouble of making raspberry filling myself!

Strawberry Pie
39817-albums933-picture5543.jpg

This looks sooo good! Now I want strawberry pie....:cry:

I am just doing a 9" tier with 3 layers about an inch thick each (going for 4" tier after filling). I prefer the creaming method sponge or something similar. I'm prepared to scale the recipe up or down if needed. And of course I use a scale for measuring.

I will PM you the ingredients and weights for Chocolate Sponge.

My Mother always made fruitcake for family weddings.

They were small pieces wrapped in tissue and tied with a satin ribbon. We always used to try and hide when it was time to wrap a couple hundred of those little suckers!

Single wedding guests were supposed to put them under their pillows and dream about the person they were going to marry.

I always ate mine! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I think fruit cake is supposed to be a symbol of fertility. The under-the-pillow-and-dream-of-future-husband thing used to be a tradition here as well but I think most people eat theirs.

You can buy special little boxes to send cake to absent friends but there is a growing trend for making the boxes yourself, along with favour boxes, invitations, orders of service and place and menu cards, thank you cards, etc. Don't these brides and their mothers have enough to do? I find the hand-made stationery a bit of an anomaly as it is generally considered very "cheap" to make your own dress.

Strawberry flan today , English strawbs are so sweet in season am gobbling them like sweeties .
Hi, GQ, there seems to be a glut of strawbs at the moment. The greengrocer in the village was selling 2 very big punnets for a pound last week. abaout a lb in each punnet. Sadly I didn't have time or I'd have bought a load for jam.

I think fruit cake is supposed to be a symbol of fertility. The under-the-pillow-and-dream-of-future-husband thing used to be a tradition here as well but I think most people eat theirs.

You can buy special little boxes to send cake to absent friends but there is a growing trend for making the boxes yourself, along with favour boxes, invitations, orders of service and place and menu cards, thank you cards, etc. Don't these brides and their mothers have enough to do? I find the hand-made stationery a bit of an anomaly as it is generally considered very "cheap" to make your own dress.

"Oh it will have so much meaning for us if we do everything ourselves."

First off 'he' is not even going to notice or care. And don't even think of trying to sucker him into doing all this handmade stuff with you. He would rather work overtime so you can pay to have 'that' done. Young girls just don't know where to draw the line.

My youngest son had a very simple wedding. No fancy over the top decorations for the hall. Each table had a small center piece so you could talk over it to the person across the table. The head table did have more flowers in the color of the wedding. And the bride/grooms table had more roses. The cake was a plain three tier with a band around the middle tier.

That was it. They had a lot of guests along with a very large dance floor. That dance floor got more use than any other part of the wedding. The reception started at 5 p.m. At 2 a.m. the staff had to tell them it was time for everyone to go home. They were tired. It was one of the funnest weddings I have ever been to. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom