What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ordered some Bakewell Cream, I forgot to buy it while I was home, of course.

Not sure how this ingredient fell off my radar for so many years. These started as just about a 1/2 inch dough circles, and this was the result, following the recipe on the can and baking instructions.

Bakewell+biscuits.JPG

With some blackberry compote made by my mom's cousin in Maine.
blackberry+compote.JPG

bakechef,

Those look great!

Do you know what makes Bakewell Cream different from other baking powders!

Also have you ever used the Italian baking powder that contains vanilla flavoring.

Oh those look good!

Do pancakes count as baking? I want to fry up some apples with cinnamon and then pour pancake batter over...

bakechef,

Those look great!

Do you know what makes Bakewell Cream different from other baking powders!

Also have you ever used the Italian baking powder that contains vanilla flavoring.

I'm not exactly sure, I'll have to read up on it and find out. I do know that it needs baking soda to work. You can use it in combination with baking soda as a substitute for baking powder, so maybe it's more of a deconstructed baking powder.

I remember this ingredient as a kid, but hadn't used it much. I have never had lift like this on a biscuit. The mixing and cutting are all typical of a basic biscuit recipe, but the baking is different. You place them in a 475 degree (yes you're reading that right) for 5 minutes and then turn the oven off and leave them in there for 10 minutes more, and this is the result.

I'm not exactly sure, I'll have to read up on it and find out. I do know that it needs baking soda to work. You can use it in combination with baking soda as a substitute for baking powder, so maybe it's more of a deconstructed baking powder.

I remember this ingredient as a kid, but hadn't used it much. I have never had lift like this on a biscuit. The mixing and cutting are all typical of a basic biscuit recipe, but the baking is different. You place them in a 475 degree (yes you're reading that right) for 5 minutes and then turn the oven off and leave them in there for 10 minutes more, and this is the result.

I did a little googling and it seems that Bakewell Cream is cream of tartar and that a mixture of two parts cream of tartar and one part baking soda makes baking powder. I remember my Grandmother using the combination instead of baking powder in some recipes. I also noticed that the Bakewell Cream comes in original and baking powder versions.

I need to try your turn off the oven method!

I noticed King Arthur has a frozen Bakewell Cream biscuit recipe where you form and freeze the bicuits prior to baking. That sounds like a good idea!

Time to do a couple of experiments! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I did a little googling and it seems that Bakewell Cream is cream of tartar and that a mixture of two parts cream of tartar and one part baking soda makes baking powder. I remember my Grandmother using the combination instead of baking powder in some recipes. I also noticed that the Bakewell Cream comes in original and baking powder versions.

I need to try your turn off the oven method!

I noticed King Arthur has a frozen Bakewell Cream biscuit recipe where you form and freeze the bicuits prior to baking. That sounds like a good idea!

Time to do a couple of experiments! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The ingredients are Acid Sodium Pyrophosphate and Redried Starch (cornstarch). It was developed as a substitute for cream of tartar.

So it has no cream of tartar in it, but may react in a similar way as cream of tartar.

Last edited:
I AM BAKING!! It is so darn hot today!

Gee, I don't know what you are complaining about. It is all of 96ºF. And it is just five p.m. I didn't even want to check what it was earlier. A great day for baking (if you have AC). :angel:

Gee, I don't know what you are complaining about. It is all of 96ºF. And it is just five p.m. I didn't even want to check what it was earlier. A great day for baking (if you have AC). :angel:

Luckily having central a/c allows me to bake whenever, but I just get the bug to bake when the weather cools down.

My brain is ready for fall, but mother nature decided that we needed more summer!

We are going to have highs in the 70's this weekend and I'm really excited about that!

My first attempt at a legit baguette. I have baked a lot of bread but not really baguettes. I'm using my new perforated french bread pan and it works well. I know, I know, you don't need a special pan to do it, but it makes the job so much easier!

This is the recipe that I used and it is very good!

This is just one of many baguettes that I'll make hopefully getting better and better at scoring.

baguette.JPG

My first attempt at a legit baguette. I have baked a lot of bread but not really baguettes. I'm using my new perforated french bread pan and it works well. I know, I know, you don't need a special pan to do it, but it makes the job so much easier!

This is the recipe that I used and it is very good!

This is just one of many baguettes that I'll make hopefully getting better and better at scoring.

Looks fantastic, Bakechef!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom