What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I'm making a pumpkin pie with no added sweetener, we'll see if we get a pie or a quiche! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

As odd as it sounds, since I picked up a pumpkin pie at Costco and have had a serving each night before bedtime, my blood sugars have been stable in the morning. Between 110 and 120.

I'm interested in how your pie/quiche turn out.:)

Today I'm making a pumpkin pie with no added sweetener, we'll see if we get a pie or a quiche! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm curious, too, Bea. I recently made a new recipe for skinny brownies with just chocolate cake mix and a can of plain pumpkin -- no oil, eggs, or added sugar. Of course there's some kind of sweetener in the cake mix, but the end result (I made it into small cupcakes) was pretty good -- not too sweet. Not as hard to resist snitching the extras from the freezer.

I was going to do the laundry today, but it will have to wait for Spike to do it for me. It is too heavy for me to carry downstairs and the basket is too big for the scooter.

So I am going to make the chocolate syrup for Spike's SIL and some brownies for my daughter. :angel:

Well the pumpkin pie experiment came out ok.

I used the Libby recipe and substituted a cup of fresh skim milk for the can of evaporated milk. I also left out the 3/4 cup of granulated sugar. The baking time was reduced by about 20 minutes because less liquid was used.

The texture of the pie was fine, the taste was fine. It just needs a little boost. Next time I will use 1/4 cup of real maple syrup or 1/4 cup of brown sugar to replace the 3/4 cup of granulated sugar. Leaving out the 1/2 cup of sugar and the extra 24 carbs from the evaporated milk still holds the carb count way down. Oh, I also used the cheapest store brand of frozen crust, they roll it so thin that it also helps to keep the carb count down.

In the interest of science, I had two pieces, with whipped cream, and my blood sugar did not seem to be impacted, it was 146 two hours after I ate. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I did that once. Wasn't planned! :LOL: We were on the phone with my FIL and I lost track of what had gone in and what was still needed. Unfortunately, it came the year after my Mom left the sugar out. I told her I would make it so it turned out right.
34853_doh.gif

Ever since, I've measured every ingredient out, double and triple checked, and THEN started to mix! :LOL:

I have used 1/2 the called for sugar for years with the Libby recipe, I may cut it back again and see if we can tolerate it. I love pumpkin custard, generally don't make a crust for it, saves me the carbs.

I'm curious, too, Bea. I recently made a new recipe for skinny brownies with just chocolate cake mix and a can of plain pumpkin -- no oil, eggs, or added sugar. Of course there's some kind of sweetener in the cake mix, but the end result (I made it into small cupcakes) was pretty good -- not too sweet. Not as hard to resist snitching the extras from the freezer.

I also find it easier to live with low sugar foods.

In the interest of science, I had a sliver of the sugar free pumpkin pie after it had chilled in the refrigerator and the spices mingled with the filling, I didn't miss the sugar at all with that piece.

Maybe I'll dedicate my life to scientific research! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Pizza today! I have been using my zo to do most of my kneading, but now that I have a Bosch Compact (much lighter weight than my old Hobart era K5) I opted to make a different type of dough this time, using the mixer instead. We'll see how it comes out.

My favorite deep, dark Devil's Food Cake with dark chocolate ganache.

I made some banana bread today with some walnuts in it. Can't wait to have some with butter on it for dessert tonight.

I have always liked butter on my banana or nut bread, but others in my family don't understand it. Who else puts butter on it?

I have always liked butter on my banana or nut bread, but others in my family don't understand it. Who else puts butter on it?

Me! Me! Especially that first piece that is still warm from the oven...you know the one, the quality control piece:pig:

I do! It's bread, isn't it? ;) In fact, I have a couple of banana-nut muffins that need to be eaten. I split them and toast them in the toaster oven, then smear butter all over them and it melts into them. Yummy! :yum:

I did that once. Wasn't planned! :LOL: We were on the phone with my FIL and I lost track of what had gone in and what was still needed. Unfortunately, it came the year after my Mom left the sugar out. I told her I would make it so it turned out right.
34853_doh.gif

Ever since, I've measured every ingredient out, double and triple checked, and THEN started to mix! :LOL:

We have had a few mishaps like that in my family....one ingredient left out that changed the whole recipe. Since I bake a lot, in the past several years I have started getting out all the ingredients before I start, and putting each one away as I use it. I always know what I still have to put in.

Back
Top Bottom