What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The November Church Fair is coming up. I have for the past few years been making small individual Pumpkin Bread. They sell real fast. But I would like to span out this year. I am thinking of Pumpkin Cookies. Package them in lots of 12 and wrap with plastic wrap and tied with a bow at the gathered end. Will have to have Spike pick up about four small pumpkins after Halloween. They really drop in price then. Knowing him, he will tell me to buy the cans and be happy. Or he will suggest buying one big one instead of four small ones. Men! Grrrr! (Sorry guys. Not you. You know the difference between the small and big ones.) :angel:

Addie,

How about bakechef's Peter Pumkin Bars for the Church Fair! :yum:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f102/peter-pumkin-bars-81786.html

Hint for those with freezers that need defrosting: As you remove frozen items from the freezer, replace them with bottles of water, caps loosely fastened. With less open space and more "frozen" items to keep the temperature constant, you'll have less ice build-up.

Hint for those with freezers that need defrosting: As you remove frozen items from the freezer, replace them with bottles of water, caps loosely fastened. With less open space and more "frozen" items to keep the temperature constant, you'll have less ice build-up.

We do that often with milk cartons, especially in the summer. So often, someone is having a party and need ice to put in a tub to keep the beverages cold. It's a lot cheaper than buying bags of ice.

SO just baked a batch of banana nut muffins using Audeo's recipe. They are fantastic. I had five for breakfast.

Just as a reminder, a loaf pan is not big enough for this recipe. You need a loaf pan plus one or two mini pans. It will also make 30 regular-sized muffins.

SO just baked a batch of banana nut muffins using Audeo's recipe. They are fantastic. I had five for breakfast.

Just as a reminder, a loaf pan is not big enough for this recipe. You need a loaf pan plus one or two mini pans. It will also make 30 regular-sized muffins.

Or maybe 2 smaller loaf pans. I have 3 sizes.

Funnily enough I made a banana loaf today!

The good news is it came out pretty well. I was using a recipe that called for "cup" measurements so it was a chance to test out the new set of measuring cups I treated myself to a few weeks ago. :)

The not quite so good news is that I was trying to multitask (and don't have a stand-alone food mixer). Here is what happened when a (very cheap) spoon met the (apparently formidable) mixer attachments of my ancient but trusty Moulinex hand blender!

Attachments

• Spoon.JPG
    Spoon.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 143

I am sure SO got the message that they were good, but did you tell her so? A funny thing about us females. Sometimes we need to 'hear' the words. :angel:

Funnily enough I made a banana loaf today!

The good news is it came out pretty well. I was using a recipe that called for "cup" measurements so it was a chance to test out the new set of measuring cups I treated myself to a few weeks ago. :)

The not quite so good news is that I was trying to multitask (and don't have a stand-alone food mixer). Here is what happened when a (very cheap) spoon met the (apparently formidable) mixer attachments of my ancient but trusty Moulinex hand blender!

That is funny! I think we have all done stupid things in the kitchen. Things you hide from your spouse. Or you will never live it down.

Step right up folks! We are having bent spoon bread tonight. :angel:

That is funny! I think we have all done stupid things in the kitchen. Things you hide from your spouse. Or you will never live it down.

Step right up folks! We are having bent spoon bread tonight. :angel:

I know Addie! :LOL: I am just amazed that my hand mixer survived and went right on mixing after I untangled the spoon from it's grip!

Bent Spoon Bread - love it! :LOL:

Tonight we'll definitely finish the butter pecan rum cake so, this morning, I baked a walnut caramel pie. The recipe is one I've had for eons and have needed an excuse to make. I had a one commercially-made pie crust in the refrigerator that needed to be used up. That was all the encouragement I needed and got busy.

The pie's done and it promises to be excellent. I would say it's sort of like traditional pecan pie, but using a good quantity of toasted walnuts. However, the base is caramel, made by caramelizing sugar, adding cream, yada, yada, yada. The bottom of the partially-baked crust is coated with a thin layer of semi-sweet chocolate, with the rest of the called-for chocolate drizzled on the top after the pie is cool. Can't wait.

I'm thinking I'll add bourbon or rum next time, but wait to see after we taste it....tomorrow.:mellow:

I planned on trying Audeo's banana bread today but I just went over the recipe and I need to get some buttermilk. If not today, tomorrow.

Got yogurt or sour cream? And all I ever use is 1% milk. No issue with flavor at all. Its a great recipe.

Back
Top Bottom