What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO is currently baking some banana nut muffins.

Later I may make a lemon cake for my dessert tonight.

I stopped making banana nut bread when the fruit flies started over running the house. I miss it.

I stopped making banana nut bread when the fruit flies started over running the house. I miss it.

When a banana start getting black, don't wait, toss it in the freezer in a plastic bag. When you have three you can defrost and bake.

Just pulling a pot roast out of the oven & putting a ruhbarb custard pie in the oven.

Continuing my French bread marathon for our friend's university fundraiser. Gonna start lookin' like cord wood here pretty soon.

He came by this morning and delivered another 25-pound bag of bread flour and 2 pounds of yeast.

Bread, bread everywhere and not a bite to eat!:rolleyes::LOL:

I'm glad you asked. I am baking some birthday cake flavoured cookies, a Buche de Noel, cinnabon style cinnamon buns, and a Creamsicle layer cake.

I keep a bottle of Windex spray handy and am always on the lookout for where they hang out. They can't fly with wet wings and the ammonia kills them. Takes a day or two to get them all. The bottle sits right on the counter as you enter the kitchen. :angel:

I keep a bottle of Windex spray handy and am always on the lookout for where they hang out. They can't fly with wet wings and the ammonia kills them. Takes a day or two to get them all. The bottle sits right on the counter as you enter the kitchen. :angel:

Another way to handle fruit flies is to put a small bowl of apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap in it on the counter. The vinegar attracts them and the soap breaks the surface tension so the flies fall in but they can't get out.

Another way to handle fruit flies is to put a small bowl of apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap in it on the counter. The vinegar attracts them and the soap breaks the surface tension so the flies fall in but they can't get out.

I tried that and it seems I only attract very fussy fruit flies. They sat on the edge of the bowl and chose not to go swimming. In fact, the cider vinegar evaporated before there were even three flies in the bowl. And I dumped almost a half bottle in. :angel:

Do you need to peel them before freezing?

No. Freeze them in their skins. The skins will turn a beautiful black. But when you peel it, the 'nana has a developed flavor better than when fresh. Let the 'nana come to room temp after you peel it before using in baking. :angel:

Don't peel them, be prepared for them to be kind of ugly after they thaw if they were very ripe when you froze them they may be kind of watery and dark, but they have the best flavor !

+1 and save the liquid to use in the recipe. ATK suggests reducing it to make a banana essence that really enhances the banana flavor.

Back
Top Bottom