What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never used ripe bananas before, they were always on the black side, so we'll see how how freezing them intensifies the flavor.
Thanks
I still don't see how that will prevent fruit flies though...I've done all the traps before, both storebought and homemade, and it just seems to me the more fresh fruit you have in your house the more chance of fruit flies coming in with it.

I've never used ripe bananas before, they were always on the black side, so we'll see how how freezing them intensifies the flavor.
Thanks
I still don't see how that will prevent fruit flies though...I've done all the traps before, both storebought and homemade, and it just seems to me the more fresh fruit you have in your house the more chance of fruit flies coming in with it.

It's not the freezing that intensifies the flavor - it's letting them ripen till they're turning brown with black spots.
I'm sure bringing fresh fruit in the house does increase the chance of having fruit flies, but it's worth it to me to have the fruit.

It's not the freezing that intensifies the flavor - it's letting them ripen till they're turning brown with black spots.
I'm sure bringing fresh fruit in the house does increase the chance of having fruit flies, but it's worth it to me to have the fruit.

Have to agree. Those flies are rather on the skinny side. Almost anorexic. They don't eat much. :angel:

Well this whole conversation was king of moot then :LOL:

I guess it all depends on when the flies appear. I like bananas that are barely ripe, just past green. If a banana is yellow with brown spots, I'm not interested. Frozen bananas will turn black in the freezer.

I guess it all depends on when the flies appear. I like bananas that are barely ripe, just past green. If a banana is yellow with brown spots, I'm not interested. Frozen bananas will turn black in the freezer.

I like bananas just a little more ripe than you, just yellow. I'll eat some with cereal, then make the rest (three) into banana nut bread after they have started to turn mushy. By then I have noticed the flies. The little buggers drive me nuts.

I like bananas just a little more ripe than you, just yellow. I'll eat some with cereal, then make the rest (three) into banana nut bread after they have started to turn mushy. By then I have noticed the flies. The little buggers drive me nuts.

We always wash bananas the minute we get them home, that seems to really put a damper on the fruit fly population. I just rinse them under running water, but maybe using a drop of dishsoap would even be better. My theory is that's how FFs seem to get in, on bananas, all our other fruit is refrigerated.

Last edited:
My store only sells green ones. You have to let the sit and ripen at home. Think I will try the washing idea. Sounds like a winner. :angel:

My theory is it's the eggs on the fruit.
Can you just let them (the bananas) air dry, Dawg?
I've bought onions in the store with fruit flies all over them. I try to rub them without removing any skin before putting in the produce bag. Obviously you would not want to wash an onion.
Of course if I bought all my produce at Giant Eagle or Wegmans I wouldn't have this problem.

I found the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix and I shall try this tonight. I hope they are as good as those in the restaurant!

With love,
~Cat

My theory is it's the eggs on the fruit.
Can you just let them (the bananas) air dry, Dawg?
I've bought onions in the store with fruit flies all over them. I try to rub them without removing any skin before putting in the produce bag. Obviously you would not want to wash an onion.
Of course if I bought all my produce at Giant Eagle or Wegmans I wouldn't have this problem.

Yes, air dry works fine. And I really think it's FF eggs on the bananas too.

I store my onions in the fridge, have not seen FFs on 'em. All our produce except tomatoes goes into the fridge, including garlic. And I put a shower cap over the bowl of tomatoes.

Last edited:
Baking a recipe I got off Facebook, "Lemon Brownies" kind of a weird name since they are not brown. :). Waiting for them to cool, so they can be glazed. Also, Just took a batch of Chocolate Chip cookies out of the oven. ;).

I Baked for the first time some open face cheese Danishes, though they were Russian, yesterday. Tasted good. Why do I always have the picks upside down?
I also baked some bagels and rye bread, but bread did not comeout right. :(

Attachments

• 20131110_143756[1].jpg
    20131110_143756[1].jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 150
Thanks

I get fruit flies and have no bananas or fresh fruit in the house. I hate them.

I am baking a cake that I saw them make on TV. You prepare a boxed marble cake and pour the batter into a 9 X 13 pan. You combine ricotta cheese with egg and sugar and plop it right on top of the cake batter. When you bake it, the ricotta ends up on the bottom in a cheesecake-like layer with the cake on top. When the cake is completely cook you frost it with Cool Whip mixed with a box of chocolate instant pudding.

I get fruit flies and have no bananas or fresh fruit in the house. I hate them.

I am baking a cake that I saw them make on TV. You prepare a boxed marble cake and pour the batter into a 9 X 13 pan. You combine ricotta cheese with egg and sugar and plop it right on top of the cake batter. When you bake it, the ricotta ends up on the bottom in a cheesecake-like layer with the cake on top. When the cake is completely cook you frost it with Cool Whip mixed with a box of chocolate instant pudding.

Oh man, that would really stink.

Back
Top Bottom