What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That pie looks better than any apple pie that I've ever made, WOW!

Pies baked last night, 2 pecan and 1 pumpkin. Today potato rolls. I baked my stuffing bread seasoned with Bell's poultry seasoning Sunday, and used the leftover bread for toast this morning, YUM!

What a great idea, to season the stuffing bread! I'm going to mark that down for next year. Thanks!

It also make awesome turkey sandwiches!

Oooh, another great idea! One of my favorite Thanksgiving leftovers is a hot open-faced turkey sandwich covered with gravy. Mmmm. I also like a cold turkey sandwich with lots of mayo, but for dinner the hot one can really hit the spot.

I baked two pumpkin pies and a pecan pie yesterday and have two loaves of bread in the oven and a small pan of dinner rolls rising on the counter.

Oooh, another great idea! One of my favorite Thanksgiving leftovers is a hot open-faced turkey sandwich covered with gravy. Mmmm. I also like a cold turkey sandwich with lots of mayo, but for dinner the hot one can really hit the spot.

Over the years, when stopping at diners, etc. on car trips, those hot open-faced turkey sandwiches on the menu always sounded sooo good. They were always a disappointment when compared to the same ingredients put together at home the day after Thanksgiving. It's hard to top that sandwich; cold turkey and mayo come in a close second in the Leftovers Division. :yum:

I'll be making a white chocolate & ginger cheesecake & parma ham breadsticks, for Christmas both will be frozen, till the day

Over the years, when stopping at diners, etc. on car trips, those hot open-faced turkey sandwiches on the menu always sounded sooo good. They were always a disappointment when compared to the same ingredients put together at home the day after Thanksgiving. It's hard to top that sandwich; cold turkey and mayo come in a close second in the Leftovers Division. :yum:

It was because they only roast the turkey breast. You don't get all the flavors of the stuffing and the dark meat from the legs. The gravy is of commercial grade. Not made from the juices of the whole turkey. The only meal I have ever found to be consistent from one diner to the next is the meatloaf dinner with mashed potatoes, brown gravy and peas. And the apple pie. :angel:

Roasted a whole head of garlic in my Garlic Express and whizzed a bunch of fresh rosemary in my herb chopper (others would call it a coffee grinder) and have those aromatic lovelies in the process of becoming baguettes.

Man, oh, man! The house smells like an Italian trattoria. Soooooo good!

I'll be making a white chocolate & ginger cheesecake & parma ham breadsticks, for Christmas both will be frozen, till the day

Cheesecake & raspberry sauce, made and now in the freezer waiting for x-mas day, sadly the cheesecake split, when cooling but no biggie.

The breadsticks were assigned to the bin, I use dried yeast, rather than fast-action yeast, so it didn't rise fully, I ended up making parma pinwheels instead of sticks, even then it was badly doughy after baking. So will have to try again

101_0243.jpg

Today's efforts.

Thank you. They are hard to see, but there are little cutout trees around the edge. There are two things I do to get that look. A first egg wash and raw sugar sprinkled over the top. Then a second egg wash half way through the baking. It gives it a nice color and the sugar makes it sparkle. The egg wash consist of one egg beaten with a little water. The water helps break down the egg so that the yolk and white are mixed well. No glops of white or yoke. My kids are so used to seeing pies like this that they don't want any pie that doesn't have a top crust. :angel:

Katie--

How do you store fresh rosemary after you have it chopped up ?

Mine doesn't last any longer than if I leave it whole. I s'pose I could lay it out and dry it. I do like fresh rosemary better than dry, but it would work in a pinch.

_ _
Addie, that is some good-looking pie. I just had Pie(s) at T'sgiving. Yours makes me want more :yum:

Wow........now that is a nice looking pie Addie. Sometimes I wish we had smell-o-net.

Thank you. I just took out some dark chocolate brownies with nuts from the oven. The pie is for my SIL and the brownies are for my daughter. Although they will both dig into each others treat. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom