"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Found some lignonberry/patridgeberry sauce in the freezer. I'm going turn that into a filling for some mini-lingonberry tarts using a molasses crust.

Memorial University DAI: Recipe for molasses tarts from Margaret Decker's cookbook, Joe Batt's Arm

I also have some pork "marinating" to turn into sausage later.
I forgot a friend borrowed my camera. Anyway. The molasses crust--oh, this is definitely THE crust for pumpkin pie. I added a bit of freshly-ground black pepper because the taste of the dough reminded me of my grandma's Swedish peppernut dough. Definitely a recipe I will be playing with re: other fillings.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #102
Head Chef

I recently made some Melting Moments filled with raspberry cream , mine are gluten free , very nice with a cuppa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	20967  

Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

An apple pie.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #104
Assistant Cook

Today I chilled a raspberry jam cheesecake (it baked late last night). An 8" inch cheesecake with gingersnap and almond flour crust, cream cheese, and a small jar of raspberry preserves mixed into the batter.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #105
Executive Chef

I am baking mini brownie bites. My grandson is coming tomorrow and we will be celebrating that he no longer has to be on a gluten-free diet.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #106
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I'm making brownies to celebrate my grandson being taken off his gluten-free diet. He's so happy!
And I will probably bake some of the oatmeal cookie dough I put in the freezer.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #107
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I forgot a friend borrowed my camera. Anyway. The molasses crust--oh, this is definitely THE crust for pumpkin pie. I added a bit of freshly-ground black pepper because the taste of the dough reminded me of my grandma's Swedish peppernut dough. Definitely a recipe I will be playing with re: other fillings.
Might have a go at this but just one question. Did you find the quantities of cloves and cinnamon were ok? Sounds quite a lot for the amount of flour.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #108
Executive Chef

My brownie bites didn't turn out right. I put too much batter in each tassie cup and it rose up and out and formed a muffin top. When I tried to turn the pan over to tap them out the tops fell off and the rest stayed in the pan. The tops look like cookies. I dug the dough out of the cups and rolled it into balls. Brownie balls. He's 5. He'll love them. LOL

DH said I had brownie batter all over me.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My brownie bites didn't turn out right. I put too much batter in each tassie cup and it rose up and out and formed a muffin top. When I tried to turn the pan over to tap them out the tops fell off and the rest stayed in the pan. The tops look like cookies. I dug the dough out of the cups and rolled it into balls. Brownie balls. He's 5. He'll love them. LOL
I hate that when my tops fall off.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #110
Assistant Cook

Today I baked the worst dried fruit pie, ever!

I couldn't roll the crust out properly. Instead of wax paper, my husband had purchased "baking paper" (which isn't parchment paper, and isn't wax paper, and shreds like the dickens). I was out of plastic wrap, and my counters are too old and nasty to roll on without protection. I used the baking paper and ended up with shreds of the paper stuck INTO the crust. I picked out most of them but I suspect I left some behind for the baking.

When I put the pie in the oven to blind bake the crust, the crust started sliding down into the pan (probably because it was too thick and rolled out poorly).

I ended up putting the chopped/soaked dried fruits into the pan while the crust was still soft, and not putting on a top crust. In order to bake it enough for the crust to be baked I had to kind of over-cook the filling. But, since there was no top at least I could stir the filling around so nothing actually burned.

Because I was so stressed over the crust, I forgot to double-check the sugar I used for the filling and it ended up too sour. Not inedible or anything...but...not the way I would have wanted it to taste.

All in all, a discouraging day.

Tags
baking