What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it's there! Looks fantastic!
Super easy to make--the peaches were a tad small, but it worked anyway. And yes, you could use a frozen pie crust...I have been making pie crust since I was 8/9 years old, so I find it is easier to make it. It always works for me. Today's was very tender and flaky. I pre-bake the crust for about 8 minutes and then fill it. Sigh...the end of summer is always marked by peach cream pie. Love this pie, have eaten it every August my entire life, but it always marks the end of summer.

Last edited:
Did you see Josie's post on making peach butter from the peelings?

This morning I baked some cheddar, jalapeno, and tomato cornmeal biscuits. I used some little yellow pear tomatoes someone brought from their garden.

Did you see Josie's post on making peach butter from the peelings?
I'd never have enough peelings...I don't eat peaches except at this time of year and only a few at that. And, I don't eat bread so wouldn't really have much call for peach butter...

Last edited:
Made a batch of your brownies Bakechef. This time I decided to try half sugar/half Splenda. Um yeah...that's the last time I'll do that. They were good enough, but not the usual great.

Made a batch of your brownies Bakechef. This time I decided to try half sugar/half Splenda. Um yeah...that's the last time I'll do that. They were good enough, but not the usual great.

In brownies it seems that the sugar has just as much to do with texture as it does sweetness, that's why I discourage reducing the sugar. But you never know unless you try right! :)

That's why I tried it BC. I figured even if it wasn't great, any piece of brownie is decent with a little ice cream on the side. :)

The difference wasn't so much in the texture as in flavor. I use Splenda whenever I make quick bread like banana or blueberry and don't notice the taste - probably because of the strong flavors of the fruit. With the brownies I could taste "fake". I'm trying to remember, too, if I used Hershey or Penzeys cocoa the first time. This one was Hershey's that I'm trying to use up. Shame on me!

I've used Hershey's many times with success, it's my go-to when I run out of Penzy's and can't get to the store, so it should work fine.

Also quick bread has a little more to it's structure and probably has a lower sugar content, add to that the fruit and I would think that splenda would work better in quick breads.

I made an Italian Cream cake Saturday. I'd forgotten how good they are and I think Craig has a new favorite.

Fresh peach pie. I blind-bake a crust, cool, and then fill with slices of fresh peaches that have a very little bit of a sugar glaze. Top each slice with fresh whipped cream right before we eat it. Mom used to top the entire pie since she always made this for dessert on Father's Day. I love how memories taste. :wub:

Attachments

• 2014-08-26 23.53.09.jpg
    2014-08-26 23.53.09.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Fresh peach pie. I blind-bake a crust, cool, and then fill with slices of fresh peaches that have a very little bit of a sugar glaze. Top each slice with fresh whipped cream right before we eat it. Mom used to top the entire pie since she always made this for dessert on Father's Day. I love how memories taste. :wub:
Very nice!

You serve your whipped cream the way I do! None of those little rosettes or dabs of whipped cream on the side of the pie, I like billowy clouds of whipped cream! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:

I want some of that!!!:pig:

If it isn't hot enough, I decided to try a new bread recipe my brother recommended. It was a traditional recipe that asked to knead by hand, etc. Well, I'm so in tune with with making bread using my bread machine that I decided to do it MY way. 'Cept there was so much volume both with liquid and flour that I felt it would be prudent to have the machine do only the kneading part, which left me to put the dough in a large bowl for the first rise.

Well, it's blast furnace hot here, so I decided to take advantage of Mother Nature's hot flashes and set the dough to rise out on the front porch. I put it in my large 26-cup mixing bowl, oiled the top of the dough thoroughly, covered the whole shebang with a large, clear plastic bag and set it outside.

Holy catfish, Batman! I'm glad I didn't leave it in the machine for the first rise. It darn near met me at the front door. It completely filled the bowl and rose way over the top.

The recipe said to fashion the dough into two loaves. No way! Instead, I made three good-sized loaves, which ended up being perfect. The loaves rose beautifully the last time and baked to a golden brown and, of course, the smell was almost more than we could stand. Can't wait to taste it. I have a feeling this recipe is a keeper.

If you're interested, check out this recipe for Honey Buttermilk Bread.

Last edited:

Flavors are such a great way to bring back memories! If I want to taste the Christmas of my childhood, I make the sugar cookies that my mom always made. In the summer she would make a wonderful blueberry cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom