"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I baked Cook's Illustrated's Ultimate Banana Bread and was very disappointed. The taste was great, but the texture was too wet. I like moist, not wet. I've been baking everything from cakes to cookies to quick breads for decades, so it wasn't me. Instructions were followed perfectly, and the toothpick came out clean. Plus, my oven is extremely accurate. This was a ton more involved than typical banana bread recipes - it was a PITA, and in the end, I wasn't happy with it. I was very surprised, because this recipe has had lots and lots of great reviews.
Over the years of watching ATK and CC, I began to question some of their recipes. I have to remember that their "tasters" are the members of their staff. Not everyone has the same taste buds. Sometimes, in their effort to over simplify a recipe, I think they do it more harm than good.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #152
Senior Cook
Oh my! I subscribe to that channel too and am itching to try it. Their brownies are to die for. Today I'm making lemon bars.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #153
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Over the years of watching ATK and CC, I began to question some of their recipes. I have to remember that their "tasters" are the members of their staff. Not everyone has the same taste buds. Sometimes, in their effort to over simplify a recipe, I think they do it more harm than good.
That's true of any recipe source. I don't think their goal is to simplify, but to create delicious, reliable recipes. None of the recipes of theirs that I have made failed. Watching the shows doesn't give the same insight into their methods as reading the magazine.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
Old 04-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #154
Certified Pretend Chef
I have subscribed to their mag and watched the show. I've made a number of their recipes with mixed results. Some are quite good and other not so much. I think many of their recipes are overly complicated for a potentially minor difference in results.

I watched the banana bread recipe on TV and thought it was way to fussy to be practical. This is especially so when you have a recipe that yields great results simply.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #155
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I like CI but I've had recipes fail. One is a butter cake recipe, it is reprinted in numerous other cookbooks of theirs, but in my baking book the flour measurement is wrong. I made a multi grain loaf, yield one loaf, but when I made it as one loaf there was too much dough for one loaf. I made a gingerbread recipe and it was pretty much inedible. All these from the same book. I follow every recipe exactly the first time, and I measure with a scale.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I'm Bloggin'

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #156
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

You can also scoop the dough, as Addie says, then freeze it. That way you can bake off a few cookies as you need them and not have a big project every time you want a treat!

How To Freeze Cookie Dough Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

I do that with oatmeal cookie dough. DH loves cookies, but after a couple days he wants a different flavor. Sometimes I freeze the finished cookies, but freezing the dough give a more fresh baked flavor.

DH is the only person I know who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies. He doesn't like chocolate, but likes white chocolate. One of these times when I think of it I will make a dozen or so with white chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet morsels. He would eat those.

So Addie, now you know "of" someone who does not like chocolate chip cookies.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #157
Executive Chef
Today I baked a lemon meringue pie. I do not make it from scratch. I usually use Durkee lemon pie mix, but WalMart didn't have it so I bought a can of Lucky Leaf lemon pie filling. Baked a crust, filled it with the pie filling and then topped it with meringue. DH is very happy with it made that way, and that's what counts. It will keep him happy until tomorrow until he wants some other sweet treat.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #158
Master Chef
I baked a cheesecake last night. Haven't cut it yet because it needed to cool. I hope family waits till I get home from work to cut it. DD #2 birthday tomorrow so had to bake yesterday.
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #159
Head Chef
Yesterday I made two of my favorite quick breads - Cinnamon Swirl and Dark Chocolate.
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #160
Master Chef
Two pans of 16-count mini-scones, an orange-chocolate chip and an oatmeal cranberry walnut. Looks like the Sample Monster walked through my kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-08 20.34.22.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	21236  

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Closed Thread