"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #171
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I'll a rookie in the kitchen and have been assigned as mum's cake baker for her birthday. I've chosen to do an orange cake and have this ambitious idea of somehow pouring melted white chocolate into the batter as it bakes.

I don't mean pour the whole lot in one go for obvious reasons but dribble some in, put the cake back in, pull it out 10 minutes later. Repeat.

Suggestions/comments anybody?

I would suggest you wait until the cake is fully baked and cooled. Then poke holes all over the top of the cake and then pour your melted white chocolate over the top slowly so it will have time to sink into the holes. To do it your way, will interrupt the process of baking. Every time you open that oven door, you lose heat and the cake will bake unevenly. It may also fail to rise. Or if it does it will do so unevenly. One side will be higher than the other. I can almost guarantee a failure if you do it your way. Sorry to be the one to give you such bad news, but I want the same thing you do. A lovely cake for Mom.

Also one more thing. Why not chocolate frosting? Chocolate and orange are a natural marriage of flavors.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #172
Assistant Cook

Choice of chocolate

Mum can't have milk/dark chocolate because it gives her stomach pains. About my previous post; when should I pour the chocolate? Straight out of the oven or give it some cooling time first?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #173
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Mum can't have milk/dark chocolate because it gives her stomach pains. About my previous post; when should I pour the chocolate? Straight out of the oven or give it some cooling time first?
Let the cake cool completely.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #174
Head Chef

I made this with my own glaze. Excellent.
Lemon Loaf. Enjoy a little Starbucks at home. - Dash of Butter
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #175
Assistant Cook

Orange cake batter with caramel mixed in?

Awww...that lemon loaf looks yummy.

For my orange cake I wish to give a hint of a caramel taste to it. I was thinking maybe making caramel over the stove, diluting/making it runny with a tablespoon of melted butter and mixing it into the batter before baking. I'm assuming I'd need to add a little extra SR flour so the cake isn't too 'heavy'.

Is it possible to add a caramel taste that way? How much would I need you think? (Cake to serve approx 6-10 people)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #176
Head Chef

Quote:
Awww...that lemon loaf looks yummy.

For my orange cake I wish to give a hint of a caramel taste to it. I was thinking maybe making caramel over the stove, diluting/making it runny with a tablespoon of melted butter and mixing it into the batter before baking. I'm assuming I'd need to add a little extra SR flour so the cake isn't too 'heavy'.

Is it possible to add a caramel taste that way? How much would I need you think? (Cake to serve approx 6-10 people)
Hi there,
How about a caramel glaze?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #177
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Baking is a science, in order for things to come out you have to carefully measure the ingredients. Adding extras disrupts that balance. Best to find a tried and true recipe that incorporates the flavors you want. Once the cake is baked, you can go wild with flavoring and decorating.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #178
Assistant Cook

Too many flavours?

Orange cake with a hint of caramel, drizzled with white chocolate that had been melted with a nutty tasting clarified (pure butterfat) butter?

Does this sound like you would be able to taste each flavour, or end up with confused taste buds?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #179
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

MY taste buds would be confused.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #180
Assistant Cook

PrincessFiona60, what if I bake the orange as normal and pour orange/caramel tasting syrup into moderate to deep holes made with a skinny knife, and once that's had time to sink in, drizzled the cake with the nutty white chocolate.

But is that too many flavours??

Tags
baking