What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pizza bread. Rollout the bread, before you shape the loaf, brusk lightly with marinara/pizza sauce. Sprinkle with shredded mozzerella, top with pepperoni or cooked Italian sausage. Don't overdo it on any of these, roll and shape the loaf, allow to rise and bake. I like to dip this in more marinara while it's still warm.

Isn't that called Stromboli - Simply Scratch » Homemade Stromboli

Just sayin'.

Seeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Mine is more of a hint of pizza bread, Stromboli is PIZZA Bread...

I will also use porcini powder with butter as a similar filling in bread. Roasted garlic and butter.

Parmesan...

My pies were well received. I found out that the slices went very quickly. My co-worker that's the volunteer fireman said they were outstanding. I love that swelled-head feeling, though I try very hard to not let anyone know that it's there. Humility is something I try to maintain, though sometimes, it's fun to basque in the glow.

Ok, I'm humble again. I had to shake off the verification of my work. Now I have to concentrate on how to avoid the pie crust failure I had in San Diego a few weeks back while making pie for my dear MIL. It was close to 90 degrees in the house, and yet, others make perfectly flaky crusts in such conditions. I have no problems with crust at room temps up to 75' F. Above that, I start running into problems, especially where there is no room to chill the table surface, or chill the dough in the fridge, etc., like at MIL's house.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Apple cake, of a sort.

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 apples
+ sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling

Beat eggs and sugar till soft picks
add flour, mix well. Pill and slice apples thinly. Mix 50/50 sugar and cinnamon sprinkle over apples, fold the apples into the batter. Pour into a form, sprinkle some more sugar/cinnamon on the tom. Bake 325 deg about an hour, but check, could be more, could be less. Just baked 6 full size aluminum trays. It was recipe times 18. Yum.

And here is the picture, though it did not came out, the picture did not come out.

Attachments

• 20141020_042834[1].jpg
    20141020_042834[1].jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 147
bethzaring - looks good! I am trying to understand the high altitude reference re. the cookbooks. I googled it and it seems to be cooking high up i.e. not on the ground (which is what I thought but could not believe). :huh:

bethzaring - looks good! I am trying to understand the high altitude reference re. the cookbooks. I googled it and it seems to be cooking high up i.e. not on the ground (which is what I thought but could not believe). :huh:

It has to do with high altitude cooking. The higher you go up the mountains, the more challenging cooking becomes. Water boils at a lower temperature than 212ºF. Beth lives at a higher altitude in New Mexico than say I do at sea level. So my water boils at 212ºF. There are special cookbooks for those that live in higher altitudes. :angel:

I'll have our grandson after school today and tomorrow so I baked his favorite chocolate cake with chocolate ganache topping. Not only that, I have a primo dessert for myself tonight.

Attachments

• DSC04632.jpg
    DSC04632.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Martha Stewarts' recipe for banana bread

A clarification...high altitude baking is much more difficult than high altitude cooking. The baking adjustments change for each 1000 feet change in altitude.

Just an observation - addie and bethzaring having the same breed of dog? I guess you have both discussed this in the pets section.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: pumpkin cake. I had a recipe for this (using baked pumpkin that was then pureed/blended) and it was quite bland, even the 2nd time with amendments (e.g. orange zest and spices).

Today I had a slice of pumpkin cake (from a famous cafe chain) and found it disappointing also. My tastebuds are not the best but, when I have carrot cake, at least I usually can detect the carrot.

Anyone got a tasty pumpkin cake recipe?

Just an observation - addie and bethzaring having the same breed of dog? I guess you have both discussed this in the pets section.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Re: pumpkin cake. I had a recipe for this (using baked pumpkin that was then pureed/blended) and it was quite bland, even the 2nd time with amendments (e.g. orange zest and spices).

Today I had a slice of pumpkin cake (from a famous cafe chain) and found it disappointing also. My tastebuds are not the best but, when I have carrot cake, at least I usually can detect the carrot.

Anyone got a tasty pumpkin cake recipe?

I like this recipe baked in a sheet pan. Frost with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Pumpkin bars/cake[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]2 cups AP flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]11/2 cups granulated sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1/2t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]2 t baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]2 t ground cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1 t baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1/4t ground cloves[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]4 eggs beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1 16 ounce can of solid pack pumpkin (you may also use two cups of mashed or pureed pumpkin, winter squash, sweet potato or carrots.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]1 cup of canola oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]½ cup of chopped walnuts[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]½ cup of raisins[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Combine dry ingredients.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Stir in eggs, pumpkin and oil.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Add nuts and raisins.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Spread batter into ungreased pan and bake.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Test with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]For bars bake in a 10x15x1 inch pan for approx... 25 – 30 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]For cake bake in a 9x13 pan for approximately 35 -40 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]For 9 inch layers grease and flour the pans and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, serif]When cool spank with powdered sugar or frost with cream cheese frosting.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom