What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to make some butterscotch cookies with bacon. They are soooo good.

I've also got this blueberry snack cake that I found a recipe for. It's really great too. Maybe I'll make that instead. I I make the cake, i'll dress it with cream-cheese frosting. Either way, company tomorrow night will enjoy desert.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hope to make the Lemon Poppy Seed cake today for the church fair tomorrow. I am feeling much better after my disastrous day yesterday. :angel:

Yeh, I purchased the ingredients for the blueberry snack cake, but forgot the eggs, so I didn't make it. I'll be making a cherry dump-cake instead. It'll be all I have time for after work. Ah well...

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Not baking tonight, but I want to try brownies again. All I got us the packaged stuff. Maybe I could alter the recipe a little?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got the Poppy Seed Lemon cake all done. Perfect cream cheese frosting. Not too sweet.

I had to run to the store to get some items. I was only gone about 30 minutes. Just time enough for The Pirate to wake up and cut himself a very large piece and a half gallon of chocolate milk. The urge to kill was very strong. So it looks like The Fair will not be getting a donation from me this year. The Fair is Saturday, but I don't think I will have the strength to bake anything else.

I have been up since early this morning. And I haven't stopped all day. Started with a two hour trip for my big shopping for the month. Get home and put away all the pantry items. Start the cake by getting all my items together in the order I will need them. Prepared the meats for the freezer. Ran out of plastic wrap with the last item to go in there. Measured out all the dry ingredients for the cake and then continued with the complicated recipe. While it was baking I cleaned up the kitchen with all the dishes and equipment from making the cake. I just kept going. By the time The Pirate arrived, I made him a couple of hot dogs for his supper. He then took a nap and woke up just as I was finishing the cake. And that is when I left for the store. By the time I got back I was so tired. Too tired to kill him or even yell. I just looked at him while shaking my head. Well, he now has a whole cake to himself. I can't eat any. All I could say was take a piece to work tomorrow.

So after doing all the little chores I wanted to get done, I decided it was time to get some sleep. I am so tired. I was almost asleep and got a dang cramp in my foot that worked it way up my leg. So here I am sitting at the computer ready to drop in my tracks. I put on Christmas songs on the TV. Nice soft music to fall asleep to. I hope. :angel:

Not baking tonight, but I want to try brownies again. All I got us the packaged stuff. Maybe I could alter the recipe a little?

Welcome Star! If you aren't allergic to nuts, you might want to add some chopped walnuts. I usually put those in when I make brownies. Some people like chocolate chips. Maybe dried cherries. I also just thought of this: I might try tossing in some shredded coconut next time I make brownies. Hmm, cherries, almonds and coconut would be almost like a Mounds bar...:yum:

If you want to try a better brownie, might I interest you in Bakechef's Brownies? Easy to make and oh-so-good!

Welcome Star! If you aren't allergic to nuts, you might want to add some chopped walnuts. I usually put those in when I make brownies. Some people like chocolate chips. Maybe dried cherries. I also just thought of this: I might try tossing in some shredded coconut next time I make brownies. Hmm, cherries, almonds and coconut would be almost like a Mounds bar...:yum:

If you want to try a better brownie, might I interest you in Bakechef's Brownies? Easy to make and oh-so-good!

I second that. They are so easy and delicious. It has become the "go to" for a brownie recipe. In fact, I just might make up a double batch for the church fair since The Pirate did a number on the cake I was going to bring. Half will have nuts and the other without. I just have to remember to do the without first. :angel:

SO made a batch of pecan cookie balls.

Andy, I'm not much of a baker, but funny you should mention this now. My late mother used to make something that sounds like pecan cookie balls, but I've looked through her recipes and can't find it.

She'd make a cookie dough with very finely chopped pecans, then roll them in balls, and dredge in confectioner's sugar. Does that sound like what your SO made? We loved them, and I would like to make them for Christmas cookies. :)

Apple-maple-walnut-cranberry crisp. If I can get the camera to work, I'll post a pick. The recipe is simple--

6 cups apples (I'm using Cortland, Macs, and Sparten).
Juice of 1/2 lemon (~2 T)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 T maple syrup
1 T corn starch
3 tsp roasted cinnamon
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 c dried cranberries

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine apples, lemon juice, maple syrup in a 2-quart baking dish; toss gently to coat.
3. Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; stir with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to apples, toss well to coat.
4. Toss flour, remaining cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, cranberries, lemon zest in food processor bowl. Pulse a couple of times.
5. Add chilled butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add oats and walnuts; pulse a couple of times.
6. Sprinkle flour this evenly over apple mixture.
7. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature.

I like to serve this with whipped cream to which I've added a tsp of brandy or calvados.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, I'm not much of a baker, but funny you should mention this now. My late mother used to make something that sounds like pecan cookie balls, but I've looked through her recipes and can't find it.

She'd make a cookie dough with very finely chopped pecans, then roll them in balls, and dredge in confectioner's sugar. Does that sound like what your SO made? We loved them, and I would like to make them for Christmas cookies. :)

This is the recipe she uses.

Pecan Cookie Balls Recipe | McCormick

Thank you, Andy! :)

Thank you too, GG and Aunt Bea! Those are all just what I was looking for. :flowers: They'll be on my Christmas cookie list.

The LOL recipe is almost identical except for the amount of vanilla.

I've thought about making this recipe with walnuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom