"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #271
Master Chef

Oh, and I baked a meatloaf too. It was supposed to be tonight's supper but I was moving so slow with the bakery I decided I'd bake it today and heat-and-eat tomorrow. Just pulled it out of the oven about 20 minutes ago. Tossed 3 potatoes into the oven at the same time. I'll peel them and mash them tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #272
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They are delicious! SO made some using a Betty Crocker recipe I got online. While they taste great, they were thin and cake-like rather than thin and crispy as expected.

Actually plan on having some tonight with a glass of cold milk.
You expected "thin and crispy" Andy? That's not how I think of, or remember Snickerdooles. For me the perfect ones are not thin, crispy only on the outside, but chewy on the inside. I used the recipe with only shortening, no butter.
OMG....I'm actually talking about baking.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #273
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You expected "thin and crispy" Andy? That's not how I think of, or remember Snickerdooles. For me the perfect ones are not thin, crispy only on the outside, but chewy on the inside. I used the recipe with only shortening, no butter.
OMG....I'm actually talking about baking.
We're new to snickerdoodles. SO made her first batch from a box mix. They came out with a low profile and crispy.

In reading about them, one of the distinctive qualities is their crispness. The cream of tartar is in the recipe so the cookies will be crispy. All the photos I've seen online are for thinner cookies. I read a lot of recipes and chose the BC recipe because I figured they know their stuff.

The cookies were delicious (I finished them off last night) but not what I expected.

Here's the link to the recipe. Check out the picture. That's what we were expecting. Snickerdoodles recipe from Betty Crocker

This is what ours looked like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p10904801.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	21679  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #274
Master Chef

Oh wow, those are really puffy Andy! I wish mine were still around for a picture, but oh well...

I found this that's pretty interesting about their history and a chart of recipes through time.

Tracing the History of the Snickerdoodle | Bake Me More

Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #275
Executive Chef

Fruit cake with currants, raisins, glace citrus peel, cherries, chopped dried apricots and a splash of whisky. Also made some of Delia's ginger oatie biscuits/cookies with the addition of a little chopped crystallised ginger.

I'm going away for a few days on Sunday and the cake and cookies are "thank you" presents. North Wales here I come and Bertha, will you go away, please.

It's freezing here, I'm indoors dressed in a winter-weight woolly jumper and sheepskin slippers (among other things) and I'm seriously considering putting the central heating on! To hell with the air con, when I go up to the stables I'll have the car heater blasting away on full heat and blow!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #276
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh wow, those are really puffy Andy! I wish mine were still around for a picture, but oh well...

I found this that's pretty interesting about their history and a chart of recipes through time.

Tracing the History of the Snickerdoodle | Bake Me More
That blogger said she uses the same BC recipe we used.

I'm sure if we used all butter, they would have been flatter.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #277
Master Chef

First run of both - got 4 thumbs up!

5” Mini Chicken Pot Pie

5” Mini Apple Pie

Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #278
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We're new to snickerdoodles. SO made her first batch from a box mix. They came out with a low profile and crispy.

In reading about them, one of the distinctive qualities is their crispness. The cream of tartar is in the recipe so the cookies will be crispy. All the photos I've seen online are for thinner cookies. I read a lot of recipes and chose the BC recipe because I figured they know their stuff.

The cookies were delicious (I finished them off last night) but not what I expected.

Here's the link to the recipe. Check out the picture. That's what we were expecting. Snickerdoodles recipe from Betty Crocker

This is what ours looked like:
Every homemade snickerdoodle that I've had was thin with crispy edges and chewy middle (just as Kayelle described), pure bliss!

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #279
Chef Extraordinaire

I just came across this on Pinterest. No, I'm not making it today, but it sounds good

Snickerdoodle Apple Cobbler
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #280
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Every homemade snickerdoodle that I've had was thin with crispy edges and chewy middle (just as Kayelle described), pure bliss!
/

bakechef, were they thick or thin (see my earlier post)?

Tags
baking