What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't have an open fire to roast them in, I am going to be putting a pan of chestnuts in the oven today for just me to enjoy. :angel:

After I do a sink full of dirty dishes that The Pirate has left for me, (not complaining, he cooks for me) I intend to put together the dry ingredients for the chocolate cake and make the frosting. The frosting will going into a covered container and the dry ingredients into a zippy bag. That way the making of the cake will go much quicker.:ohmy: Christmas is creeping up a lot faster than I had noticed. :angel:

We didn't get to the divinity. The boys were awesome. We made Knaeckerbrot (they had to use baker's percentage to figure out the recipe). I started them off by having them weigh a cup of sifted AP flour, a cup of flour, a cup of bread flour. They wanted to learn how to use a bread machine to make dough and since my bread machine requires 3-4 c flour, we went with that (by weight). Once they got the 100%, they then had to apply the formula to figure out how much yeast, etc., was needed. They both agreed that it was the most fun math they'd ever done. We also made krumkake--they had to weigh the eggs and then the ingredients (same weight butter, flour, sugar, and whipping cream as eggs). They also made Swedish peppernuts, but I had made the dough. The krumkake isn't perfect looking, but they taste WONDERFUL. They loved the knaeckerbrot. And the peppernuts were a hit, too. That was much fun. They wanted to know when they could back to learn how to make pie crust and the divinity. We had so much fun.

We didn't get to the divinity. The boys were awesome. We made Knaeckerbrot (they had to use baker's percentage to figure out the recipe). I started them off by having them weigh a cup of sifted AP flour, a cup of flour, a cup of bread flour. They wanted to learn how to use a bread machine to make dough and since my bread machine requires 3-4 c flour, we went with that (by weight). Once they got the 100%, they then had to apply the formula to figure out how much yeast, etc., was needed. They both agreed that it was the most fun math they'd ever done. We also made krumkake--they had to weigh the eggs and then the ingredients (same weight butter, flour, sugar, and whipping cream as eggs). They also made Swedish peppernuts, but I had made the dough. The krumkake isn't perfect looking, but they taste WONDERFUL. They loved the knaeckerbrot. And the peppernuts were a hit, too. That was much fun. They wanted to know when they could back to learn how to make pie crust and the divinity. We had so much fun.

The best part is that they get to eat their homework! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The best part is that they get to eat their homework! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Yup! I didn't give them a recipe, just the ingredients that were needed and the percentages for each. I also had them read about what each ingredient does re: bread. I think it is a math (and chemistry) lesson they will remember for a long time. Who said math wasn't fun? :)

Last edited:

There is no better calling that teaching the young. They have learned something today that they can use throughout their life. And they have learned the love of cooking. Great Work CWS!! :angel:

There is no better calling that teaching the young. They have learned something today that they can use throughout their life. And they have learned the love of cooking. Great Work CWS!! :angel:
Their parents assigned them the chore of cooking 1/night a week a couple of years ago. The older one does the entre and the younger one does sides or desserts. They work so well together and are each other's best friend. They already like to play in the kitchen. It was just really nice to share what my grandma taught me with them and have them enjoying it. They came to the DH's b'day party and everyone commented on what wonderful kids they were. They are comfortable with adults, respectful, polite beyond belief, and fun. I love these boys, and have so much respect for their parents. They've put a lot of energy into raising these boys.

In my will, they get my cookbooks and any my kitchen stuff they want. Now the Krumkake iron is added to that list!:LOL: At least they will know what it is for and next year, I'll have to have them back out to make Krumkake again (and again, and again, and again). :LOL:

Last edited:

That sounds like an AWESOME day!

That sounds like an AWESOME day!
It was an AWESOME day and it lets me teach them things that hopefully will influence how they cook and eat for the rest of their lives. Already got them into helping with animal rescue organizations since their parents adopted two dogs from our rescue group. These kids will be great citizens!

In a follow-up phone conversation with their mom, she said that it was so nice for the boys to see that someone who lives alone (most of the time) cooks and bakes and has all these ingredients available. Our plan is that the boys schedule one day a month to come out and learn how to make whatever they want--fresh pasta, gnocchi, perogies, tortilla shells, vegetarian kimchi, and NAAN bread are on the list. We probably have 8 months' worth of cooking days just off the top of our heads. Mom had to add blackstrap molasses, rye flour, and shortening to her grocery list. I suspect the boys will be in the kitchen today at home.

Today the 12-year old had a friend over--they made Knaeckerbrot using the formula! Mom's email was "if you doubted the influence you've had on my children..." I was so touched.

SO is making paklava today for Christmas Day. I contribute by clarifying the butter and making the simple syrup. I can but won't make the whole thing myself. I have no patience for layering and buttering the many sheets of phyllo with the care she takes.

SO is making paklava today for Christmas Day. I contribute by clarifying the butter and making the simple syrup. I can but won't make the whole thing myself. I have no patience for layering and buttering the many sheets of phyllo with the care she takes.

I'm sure she also appreciates the many things you do, too, Andy! I don't have the patience to make it either, but some day I will give it a try.

Baked two loaves of Schwartz brot and another batch of Secret Kiss cookies. Got 3 lb of salmon curing for gravlaks. I also roasted some lemons, but can't remember why I wanted to do that...

Here's a pic of the Knaeckerbrot--never buying that again, so easy to make.

Attachments

• Knackerbrot 002.jpg
    Knackerbrot 002.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 184
016.JPG 017.JPG

My husband begs for what his family calls
Cinnamon Buns
they're really sticky buns with nuts, raisins and
loads of cinnamon
This was brunch today
DH said that I should take three, yes I said 3
buns to the neighbor, quickly, while they were