"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #361
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Every time one of you posts that you made Cake Mix Cookies I think "I have to try those". Well, I tried them yesterday. Let's just say that Himself isn't much of a sweets/desserts eater, and yet he's managed to eat two cookies to every one of mine! Quick, easy, and yummy. They're a veritable trifecta of dieting disaster!
I sometimes make the Betty Crocker cookie mix peanut butter ones. A favorite of the family. Cookies don't last long around here. If I tell just one of the kids I made cookies, by nightfall, gone. Every last one. My daughter sends her husband to get her share, and the two boys clean up the rest. Cookies and ice cream. Good Grief! What a bunch of hungry horrors I have. Who is going to make the cookies when I am gone?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:44 AM   #362
Assistant Cook

Apple Oatmeal BarsEasy Apple Oatmeal Bars Recipe - Health News and Views - Health.com

They were Ok, nothing special.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #363
Chef Extraordinaire

For the past year I was lucky if I wanted to just cook for the sake of feeding myself. But the cool weather is here and that autumn crisp air is making my oven scream to be utilized. Blueberry pie sounds just about right now.

It is that time of year again. They will be having the National Donation to Your Local Food Bank and the mail carriers will be picking all the bags of canned goods up. Our mail carriers here in Eastie, will be dropping them off at the church. That means plenty of pumpkin for me. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies. Even pumpkin cheesecake! It seems like nobody wants to bother cooking with pumpkin, so the church gives all the cans of donated pumpkin to me. I don't even have to ask. They make the delivery right to my door. Ah yes, my baking juices are running again.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #364
Certified Pretend Chef

I'll be making a quick and easy chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache topping to take to my sister's for dinner tonight.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #365
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'll be making a quick and easy chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache topping to take to my sister's for dinner tonight.
I am coming with you. I won't be long. I just have to take a shower, do my hair, decide what I am going to wear and iron it, on second thought, never mind. Just go without me.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #366
Certified Pretend Chef

I made an apple galette today. First time. It was OK.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #367
Master Chef

It will probably be delicious next time Andy. I've made a galette three times. First time was wonderful! Next two? Meh. Haven't bothered since. Good luck next time!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #368
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure how you made the galette, but I add cinnamon and vanilla extract to the filling and sprinkle turbinado sugar on the egg-washed crust. We liked it a lot. Now that it's getting cooler, I want to do more baking.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #369
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not sure how you made the galette, but I add cinnamon and vanilla extract to the filling and sprinkle turbinado sugar on the egg-washed crust. We liked it a lot. Now that it's getting cooler, I want to do more baking.
This is the recipe I used.

Country Apple Galette Recipe - Jacques Pépin | Food & Wine

I'll try it again. I thought of sprinkling sugar on the crust when it was too late.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #370
Executive Chef

I wish my grocery store stocked the very pretty crystal sugar that is sometimes put on pastry. I see it on their baked goods but don't find it in the bakery aisle.

Closed Thread

Tags
baking