"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #371
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
I wish my grocery store stocked the very pretty crystal sugar that is sometimes put on pastry. I see it on their baked goods but don't find it in the bakery aisle.
You can get sanding sugar in small amounts in the cake and cookie decorating section of Michael's and AC Moore craft stores. They even carry the large crystal Sparkling sugar.

I bet if you asked the bakery for some, they sell it to you, or even give you a small amount.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #372
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is the recipe I used.

Country Apple Galette Recipe - Jacques Pépin | Food & Wine

I'll try it again. I thought of sprinkling sugar on the crust when it was too late.
For comparison, this is what I used. Apple and Calvados Tart Recipe | Epicurious.com along with this pastry recipe: All-Butter Pastry Dough Recipe | Epicurious.com
While the filling was great all three times, the pasty was best the first time. That's when I sprang for the high-end butter Plugra. Since it costs as much as a pound for a half-pound package, I tried two different butters the second and third times. Not as good. What brand of butter do you use for rich pastry Andy and GG?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #373
Certified Pretend Chef

Typically, for a pie crust, I use 50/50 butter and shortening.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #374
Master Chef

For most pies I go to my usual Good Housekeeping all-shortening one, but the galette recipe included an all-butter. I'll have to try the half-and-half way next time.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #375
Chef Extraordinaire

I use Pillsbury's. I should try making my own pie crust some day.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #376
Chef Extraordinaire

I always try to keep a packaged pie crust on hand. This month I went to MB and the only brand they carried was Pillsbury. They also carry a local one, but they still hadn't finished stocking all their shelves after the walkout. Hopefully, they will have the one I like next month. I really don't care for Pillsbury. It just doesn't have any flavor. There is no salt in it and it taste so flat. So now when I have to get it, I sprinkle a light layer of salt on it before I put it in the pie dish.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #377
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
I wish my grocery store stocked the very pretty crystal sugar that is sometimes put on pastry. I see it on their baked goods but don't find it in the bakery aisle.
Ask at the bakery, some managers are very good about selling you some of their items they use.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #378
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Typically, for a pie crust, I use 50/50 butter and shortening.
I used to do butter and shortening but now I use lard and butter. I keep butter and lard in the freezer, when I want to use it I grate it on my micro plane into the flour. Much better. I also put some wheat germ and salt in the crust.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #379
Master Chef

msmofet, I've looked to buy lard because I remember how flaky my great aunt's pie crusts were. All the ready-to-use lards in the grocery stores have ingredients that are hard to pronounce. No-go, unless I find it in one of the many ethnic grocers in the general area. I don't bake enough to go through the fuss of rendering my own. At least that long-ago function my GA performed seemed to be a fuss.

I make from-scratch buttermilk biscuits for the first time today. I book-marked three recipes to try; this one actually looked the least-promising. If THIS one turned out so good, I can hardly wait to try the other two. They were flat, but they were good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-24 19.28.41.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	21937  
Old 09-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #380
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My husband's birthday cake
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG