What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made a quick and easy chocolate cake. Ingredients for the chocolate ganache frosting are ready to go when the cake has cooled.

The first thing I learning in nursing school was how to wash my hands...
In the panic about antibiotic resistant wound infections (eg MRSA) in UK hospitals someone quietly suggested re-training staff in hand hygiene. It hasn't completely done away with the problem but the incidence of infection has dropped significantly.

I used the last of the Khorosan ("Kamut") flour with equal quantities of ordinary strong bread flour to make a loaf and left it to rise overnight to bake this morning. I can't recommend Khorosan flour for bread making. It was on "special" in the health food shop and I now know why! I'm not surprised that man has spent 1000s of years improving strains of wheat if Khorosan was what his wife had to put up with!

Also made hazelnut oat flapjacks and 2 fruit cakes. Not economical to make only one. They keep well - one to eat and one to keep for later or to give away. I find home-made cake is always welcome as a "Thank you" gift for favours rendered.

Might make some Staffordshire oatcakes (a type of pancake rather than the crisp Scottish oatcake) while the bread is in the oven. They freeze well and are delicious with bacon and egg (I fry them in the bacon fat) or rolled round cheese and heated through until the cheese melts for a snack lunch with my veggie friend. Not bad toasted lightly and served with butter and jam, too.

Last edited:
My younger brother's been looking for a bread machine at his area's thrift stores, but no luck. I've been looking here and, last week, I scored a brand new Sunbeam one. Never used. The cord was still wrapped in the manner done at the factory. Instruction book and a box of bread mix was there, too. So, I've been putting the machine through its paces to be certain it's okay. Performing like a champ. Paid $7.50 for the machine. The current year's model of this machine retails at $110.00. Yeah!!!!!

Today I made a batch of our family's potato rolls. Perfect. Made two loaves of white toasting bread yesterday. Perfect, too. Tomorrow will be a couple of baguettes.

BTW, I only use the DOUGH setting. This way I can shape my doughs into what I want them to be. That's what my brother wants to do as well.
Wow, what a bargain! It amazes me how many brand new "unwanted gifts" get into thrift shops. Rather sad, really, when someone has gone to the trouble of buying them

I mix and partly knead my bread dough in my big Magimix food processor. I couldn't get on with my bread-maker and gave it away after a couple of years trying and went back to the old-fashioned way of making bread. I really quite enjoy the kneading. I find it therapeutic especially if I'm annoyed with someone and I can give the dough a name ;)

Last edited:
I bought my bread machine at a flea market, new in a sealed box. I used it once. I don't know why I bought it because as a diabetic, I am not supposed to eat much bread. But I just couldn't pass up a bargain!

Katie, do you mean that you use the machine up until it's time to bake and then bake it in the oven? I never thought of doing that.

It is sad that gifts end up in thrift shops, but it's nice for those of us who buy them there. There are some things I would like to have but I'm not sure I would like it, so buying it at a reduced price is great.

Might make some Staffordshire oatcakes (a type of pancake rather than the crisp Scottish oatcake) while the bread is in the oven. They freeze well and are delicious with bacon and egg (I fry them in the bacon fat) or rolled round cheese and heated through until the cheese melts for a snack lunch with my veggie friend. Not bad toasted lightly and served with butter and jam, too.

Mad Cook, could you post a recipe for the Staffordshire Oatcakes? Sounds like a way I could get more oats into our diet.

I bought my bread machine at a yard sale, practically brand new. I didn't care for the bread it makes so much, but I do use it occasionally up through the dough cycle then bake the bread in the oven. Some day I should let it make Pizza dough.

What I often see at thrift stores are George Forman type grills. All kinds of sizes.

I'm going to stir up a pan of cornbread later for dinner tonight in a cast iron fry pan.

We were in Target last night and Rob saw a watermelon cupcake mix and frosting. He got excited about it, and asked me if I would make it for him. As much as I'm not a cake mix maker, how could I say no to such a simple request? There are times that I get a glimpse of what it would be like to have a kid :LOL:

They are interesting, he likes them.

We were in Target last night and Rob saw a watermelon cupcake mix and frosting. He got excited about it, and asked me if I would make it for him. As much as I'm not a cake mix maker, how could I say no to such a simple request? There are times that I get a glimpse of what it would be like to have a kid :LOL:

They are interesting, he likes them.

They sound cute! Can you post a pic?

I made a velvet chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing. I tweaked the cake recipe here:

Chocolate Velvet Cake Recipe - Cooking | Add a Pinch | Robyn Stone

The tweaks I made were that I used three eggs (based on other recipes for the same cake using the same amount of buttermilk, shortening, flour, and sugar), 5 T cocoa powder, 2 oz. melted dark chocolate (added after the buttermilk and eggs after the chocolate cooled), 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 c white, 1/4 c safflower oil (in addition to the butter) and 2-1/2 c cake flour (sifted). I divided the batter into 3 pans. They were done in 20 minutes. Waiting for them to cool enough to frost and assemble. Serving with a garnish of fresh pineapple and tangerine slices. I hope my guests like the cake since I will only take a very small slice.

I made a velvet chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing. I tweaked the cake recipe here:

Chocolate Velvet Cake Recipe - Cooking | Add a Pinch | Robyn Stone

The tweaks I made were that I used three eggs (based on other recipes for the same cake using the same amount of buttermilk, shortening, flour, and sugar), 5 T cocoa powder, 2 oz. melted dark chocolate (added after the buttermilk and eggs after the chocolate cooled), 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 c white, 1/4 c safflower oil (in addition to the butter) and 2-1/2 c cake flour (sifted). I divided the batter into 3 pans. They were done in 20 minutes. Waiting for them to cool enough to frost and assemble. Serving with a garnish of fresh pineapple and tangerine slices. I hope my guests like the cake since I will only take a very small slice.
If any of you ate Pepperidge (sp) chocolate layer cake, the thin slices frozen cake, this tastes a lot like that, but better. That is the "taste memory" it triggered when I helped myself to one wee thin slice...

...Katie, do you mean that you use the machine up until it's time to bake and then bake it in the oven? I never thought of doing that...
That's how I use my bread machine, after using it all the way through to make a couple loaves of bread. Didn't like the shape, the paddle that would stick in the loaf no matter what you did to make it slip out, or the heaviness of the bread. The first time I used it in the "dough" setting and took the bread out for it's second rise I was amazed at how different (and better) the bread turned out. If you still have that old machine give it a try. And then resist temptation to eat the entire loaf.

That's how I use my bread machine, after using it all the way through to make a couple loaves of bread. Didn't like the shape, the paddle that would stick in the loaf no matter what you did to make it slip out, or the heaviness of the bread. The first time I used it in the "dough" setting and took the bread out for it's second rise I was amazed at how different (and better) the bread turned out. If you still have that old machine give it a try. And then resist temptation to eat the entire loaf.

I do that, too, and I made the most amazing yeast rolls for Thanksgiving with the dough setting. My mom said they were perfect! :ohmy: Another time, I made French bread rolls for sandwiches. As Katie says, she makes all her household breads this way.

If any of you ate Pepperidge (sp) chocolate layer cake, the thin slices frozen cake, this tastes a lot like that, but better. That is the "taste memory" it triggered when I helped myself to one wee thin slice...

CWS4322, Your "taste memory" made me laugh!

Believe me I'm not laughing at you, I find myself having similar food memories. Memories of food from giant megaconglomerates instead of from my Grandmas kitchen. In my case I have both, along with memories of fresh picked peaches and vine ripened tomatoes, etc. I'm afraid that many in the generation behind us will only have taste memories of Kraft mac & cheese in the blue box or a birthday cake from Pepperidge Farm, that Mom thawed just for them! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Katie, do you mean that you use the machine up until it's time to bake and then bake it in the oven? I never thought of doing that.

Yes. I let the machine do all the "heavy lifting," which in my case is the kneading. I have arthritis, have had for years, in both my hands and kneading just kills me. The bread machine does a fine job of that task, along with taking care of the first rise. Once that is finished all I have to do is to shape the dough into what I've chosen it to be. Rolls, buns, loaves, French bread, etc.

Many, many years ago I spoke with one of the resident bakers at the King Arthur flour company and was told that a bread machine does a far better job of kneading than the human hands. I'm sold on it.

Plus, using the machine in this way lets me go about doing other things I wish to do. Making bread in our house is a breeze when I do it this way.

CWS4322, Your "taste memory" made me laugh!

Believe me I'm not laughing at you, I find myself having similar food memories. Memories of food from giant megaconglomerates instead of from my Grandmas kitchen. In my case I have both, along with memories of fresh picked peaches and vine ripened tomatoes, etc. I'm afraid that many in the generation behind us will only have taste memories of Kraft mac & cheese in the blue box or a birthday cake from Pepperidge Farm, that Mom thawed just for them! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
My great aunt, who lived along, used to make creamed chicken on toast with green peas and always served one of those chocolate cakes for dessert, so the food memory triggered did trigger time spent with her. When she asked me what I wanted when she died, I wanted the cane rocking chair I would sit in when we would visit and have "tea" together.

I guess my question is...do you use your regular recipe or a bread machine recipe to just make it to the dough stage? I'm wondering if I would have to revamp my trusted recipes to use the machine to the dough stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom