"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #391
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
What are you baking today? | 2014

You had me at Caramel Apple. Sounds great! I've never found a use for white chocolate chips either. Just extra flavorless fat.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #392
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I do have lots of good recipes for them, but I really prefer real chocolate (these were real white chocolate chips, not the "baking chips" that you normally find).

This really was a nice cake, I bet that it would be fantastic with cinnamon chips in place of the toffee bits.

I'm Bloggin'

Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #393
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I'll have to defer to you, BC, as I don't bake. But I will take your word for good tasting white chocolate chips to be found.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #394
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love anything citrus. So I wonder if I could substitute lemon for the orange. My family's favorite citrus flavor. They love orange, but not like they love lemon.
You can. In fact, CWS posted a lemon version not too long ago; Alix and I both made it and loved it. This orange recipe uses orange extract but the lemon one is all juice and zest. Btw, I found that half the glaze recipe was plenty.

Calling all lemon lovers!
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
Old 10-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #395
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hadn't baked this week's dessert so I just finished and took an applesauce-walnut cake out of the oven.

When it's cooled completely, I'll frost/drizzle some praline-caramel icing on it. Should easily last us all week and then some.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #396
Master Chef
GG, your orange brownies look and sound so good. bakechef, I would love some of your caramel apple cake. And Katie....as always, your dessert of the week sounds fabulous. Everyone's baked goodies here always looks and sounds so good!

Not much of a baker myself , but I did make some Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies the other day and they were a hit with family. I gave some to my brother, some to my daughter and her family, and saved some for me. I put a slice of white bread wrapped in parchment paper in each of the ziplock bags of cookies to keep them moist and chewy. It works!
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #397
Master Chef
Started today with an oldie-but-goodie recipe I have from my best buddy back home. Dellie has been diabetic since she was 12 and has tons of quality recipes low in fat and/or sugar. Her applesauce-raisin muffin recipe uses no sugar, only 2 Tbsp. oil, and one egg. We really enjoyed them today (Himself ate two!) and wonder why it took so long for me to make them again. Oh, right, I couldn't find the recipe for the longest time....

For dessert I made a cake from a new recipe. it was a Chocolate Stout Cake from Real Simple. I put it in my file. My round file. It was too sweet without much flavor.

I think I've hit my baking quota for a while. It's surprising how the cooler weather gave the baking gene a kick.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #398
Head Chef
I baked a pumpkin cake. Roasted pumpkin cubes, pureed and added to a basic cake mixture with spices and coconut. It was quite a good recipe but I have already thought how it could be better, i.e. with lime icing and the mixture made with some orange rind and mixed spices; so will try again with this variation.

I would send a pic but it looks plain. Sometimes great flavours don't always come across in a photo!
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #399
Certified Pretend Chef
Baked a batch of onion bagels this afternoon.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Old 10-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #400
Head Chef
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My chef-y friend in Colorado gave me a recipe for a Prune Cake.
This cake is like no other Prune Cake I've ever had, like it's
hopped up on steroids.
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	21975

It has a beautiful caramel glaze that
soaks into it and makes it so heavenly, but oh so rich.

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	21973

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	21974

My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
Closed Thread