"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

SO just made some brownies. I'm trying to get up enough energy to make bagels. It's not looking good.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #42
Master Chef

Planning to make meat lasagna.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Baked 1/2 a batch of Red Velvet Cupcakes. The cupcakes were very good and the frosting was excellent. I ate one cupcake, the other two people ate the other 11! Good thing I didn't make a full batch...I figured 8 cupcakes/person was a bit on the excessive side...Red Velvet Cupcakes - Country Living

(I changed the frosting to include melted dark chocolate--it came to 1/2 c melted). I added this after I whipped the "first" chocolate mix into the butter. One I added the melted chocolate, I whipped it again. This is definitely going to be my "go to" chocolate frosting from now on.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Baked 1/2 a batch of Red Velvet Cupcakes. The cupcakes were very good and the frosting was excellent. I ate one cupcake, the other two people ate the other 11! Good thing I didn't make a full batch...I figured 8 cupcakes/person was a bit on the excessive side...Red Velvet Cupcakes - Country Living

(I changed the frosting to include melted dark chocolate--it came to 1/2 c melted). I added this after I whipped the "first" chocolate mix into the butter. One I added the melted chocolate, I whipped it again. This is definitely going to be my "go to" chocolate frosting from now on.
Those sound awesome!

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 02-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I'm making more cookies. My sister is having a bunch of her college friends over before they go see a play tonight, so I'm going to make a couple kinds of cookies to serve. ....Snickerdoodles, and chocolate/chocolate chip.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Those sound awesome!
The cupcakes are good, but the frosting is amazing--best part, no powdered sugar required (I didn't have enough XXX sugar to make frosting).

Over the years, I've made a number of recipes from CL (the 12 different muffin recipes from the late '80s are still my favorite muffin recipes). I haven't been disappointed in one of the recipes yet.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Now that I've gotten some rest and feel refreshed, I'm going to bake our Valentine cake.

It's a white cake with cherry pie filling in the batter and plenty of almond flavoring. It's baked in a heart-shaped pan and will be iced with a creamy almond icing and decorated with mini choc chips and slivered almonds.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, you're going to have to post a picture of that. Sounds luscious
Old 02-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #49
Master Chef

Made a pan of gingerbread from the box of Trader Joe's mix that looked at me each time I got something from the pantry. Gotta hand it to TJs, even their boxed mixes taste homemade. A bit of vanilla bean ice cream on top and YUM!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #50
Cook

Another loaf of no-knead. last couple loaves ended up 'flat'. realized I have been using the same open packet of yeast for quite a spell since a loaf only calls for 1/4 teaspoon. New packet opened for this loaf and the dough is waiting for the oven to heat up, and finally looks right after the last couple loaves.

Tags
baking