What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, I've never used just the dough setting on my bread machine, just let it go all the way and make a loaf.

I use the Kitchenaid to mix and knead, dump it in, when it looks like the right ratio of liquid to flour, I just let it go for 5-10 minutes to knead. I make bread like this weekly. I think that the reason that I don't use the bread machine is that I want 2 loaves of bread, and my machine can't handle 6 cups of flour. I keep a loaf in the freezer for toast.

So yesterday in addition to the weird watermelon flavored cupcakes for Rob, I made 2 loaves of "Amish white bread". I've been making a lot of 100% whole wheat, but have been hankering for white bread for toast. I'll go back to the wheat next week.

I also mixed up some chocolate chip cookie dough, scooped onto a pan and put it in the fridge to chill over night. During the last storm our neighbors brought us some really great beef vegetable stew, so today we're returning their container filled with cookies. We'll also drop some off to the other neighbor that made sure that the kitty was fed while we were on vacation.

Here is a picture of the mix. There is a green colored watermelon flavored frosting as well.
15102630_201402201922.jpg

15102631_201402201922.jpg

The cupcakes were OK, Rob seemed to like them. If you like the taste of artificial watermelon flavored candy, like a jolly rancher, than you would like this. I could see these being a hit at a child's party.

Believe it or not, I've never used just the dough setting on my bread machine, just let it go all the way and make a loaf.

I use the Kitchenaid to mix and knead, dump it in, when it looks like the right ratio of liquid to flour, I just let it go for 5-10 minutes to knead. I make bread like this weekly. I think that the reason that I don't use the bread machine is that I want 2 loaves of bread, and my machine can't handle 6 cups of flour. I keep a loaf in the freezer for toast.

I easily make two loaves of bread using my machine. Here are my ingredients:

2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
14 oz. warm water
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. vegetable shortening (not butter flavor)
4 1/2 to 5 cups bread flour

Throw it all in the machine and let it do its thing. Most of the time I will spray the top of the dough with vegetable spray when it's done being kneaded because more often than not, it will rise so high it will touch the underside of the lid. This makes it easier to clean up. Remove when done, shape into two standard 9x5 loaves, set to rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour. Bake at 400F (for glass pans, which I use) for about 30 to 35 minutes. If using metal pans, set the oven to 425F.

When I set my loaves for their final rise, I put a cereal bowl-sized bowl of water in my microwave and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Wait about 2 minutes, then put my loaves in the microwave, along with the bowl of water. The inside of the microwave oven is nice and warm, reasonably humid and definitely free of drafts, plus it will stay adequately warm for at least an hour.

I've never had any bread fail doing it this way.

Mine is a 20 year old 1 pound bread maker, so it doesn't seem as useful as yours.

I will say that the bread machine does a great job of kneading, the dough always looks really good after kneading before baking.

It's all about finding the tool that helps us the most!

I need something that sits in one place...my KA mixer is getting heavy to move around this tiny kitchen. I could put a bread machine in the spot where the toaster is and just move the toaster around. The mixer is too large/tall for the spot.

My stand mixer lives in the basement. My bread machine lives in the basement. It is a lot easier to haul the bread machine upstairs than it is to haul up the mixer. I am seriously considering getting rid of the stand mixer...well, maybe not yet.

I made 2.5 lbs of dough last night. After the first rise I divided it in 2, placed in 2 zip bags and allowed it to rest over night. Today I took the dough out to warm to room temp then turned it into 4 small loaves of sausage bread.

img_1349668_0_32907d726a2781e6089b52068cdebc17.jpg

Yesterday I made two gluten free loaves - one zucchini pecan and the other banana chocolate chip.

I made two batches of muffin mix. One batch makes twelve dozen and I store half dozens in the freezer so I can just add wet ingredients and have fresh muffins any time. Half dozens so I can switch up the flavours for the two of us.

Anyway, the first batch got dumped all over by my kitten, Monkey, and by the time I made a second batch I was too tired to make muffins. Hopefully today.

Bacon!

Then a Carrot cake.

Then some St. Patrick's Day cookies.

Tomorrow I will be baking a green Irish soda bread, with apple in it instead of raisins.

Last edited:
This past week, at work, I made some Olde English Sticky Toffee Puddings:

img_1349775_0_2a121fc24d632c9b11c5d8588d05811c.jpg

some caramel macchiato mini cupcakes:

img_1349775_1_37f3411edcd10cff2072964cac20680d.jpg

and some strawberry goat cheese pizzas:

img_1349775_2_c0c6f73c97b5ce49d49fd33add68f798.jpg

Recipes available upon request.

Last edited:
I would like the recipe for: Olde English Sticky Toffee Puddings

Please and Thank You!

I made 2.5 lbs of dough last night. After the first rise I divided it in 2, placed in 2 zip bags and allowed it to rest over night. Today I took the dough out to warm to room temp then turned it into 4 small loaves of sausage bread.

img_1349846_0_32907d726a2781e6089b52068cdebc17.jpg

Oh msmofet! I love sausage will you share your recipe for this divine looking bread?

Just finished a double layer 1/2 sheet red velvet cake for one of Rob's co-workers. She's turning 70 this week. I usually don't do cake orders at home but will make an exception for her, she really loves my cooking!

I'm going to make a batch of oatmeal cookies. I mix a whole batch and bake 1 tray full. Then I put the rest of the dough into plastic ice cube trays and freeze them. Once they are frozen, I pop them out and put them in freezer bags of a dozen each. Then when DH wants more cookies you just put the frozen cookies on a baking sheet and bake them. If I make a whole batch at once, he will burn out on them and throw the rest out for the birds.

I want to start eating Steel Cut oats, so I want to get rid of the rest of my quick cooking oatmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom