"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #491
Head Chef

I have a nice recipe for rock cakes with apple in them that I have tried. Baking them again tonight (mostly to use up wholemeal flour slightly past its best) and trying it with honey instead of brown sugar (I don't bake with white sugar).

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #492
Executive Chef

okay

I will be really interested in how this cake turns out

First, I do not know why I chose to ignore my carefully hand written in note of "Use splatter guard on Mixer!".

Second, the texture of the batter was really weird, almost like taffy. As I went to lick the beaters, I realized I have left out the sugar. I had not put in one grain of the 1 3/4 cups of sugar.

So I get the cake out of the oven, back into the mixer bowl, add in the sugar, wash out the Bundt pan, and re-grease and flour the pan. I was amazed at the change in texture of the cake batter with the addition of sugar. It actually poured into the cake pan, not scraped in thick strands.

It is back in the oven.

I hesitate to say I am baking a pound cake today.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #493
Master Chef

It will make for an interesting result beth. My Mom had made some sort of no-fail cupcakes when I was a kid. All you had to do was stir the ingredients one by one in the order they were listed. She forgot the sugar, started to put batter into the paper cupcake liner in the pan, and then noticed the sugar was still on the table. Did what you did with putting batter back into bowl and adding sugar. Every one of those cupcakes had a cone-shaped hollow in the bottom of the cupcake when you peeled the paper off! And yes, they felt like little pound cakes. At least they were still tasty, so you should have that!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #494
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I have a nice recipe for rock cakes with apple in them that I have tried. Baking them again tonight (mostly to use up wholemeal flour slightly past its best) and trying it with honey instead of brown sugar (I don't bake with white sugar).
what are rock cakes? i've heard of rock soup, but never cakes before. are they like hard tack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
okay

First, I do not know why I chose to ignore my carefully hand written in note of "Use splatter guard on Mixer!".

Second, the texture of the batter was really weird, almost like taffy. As I went to lick the beaters, I realized I have left out the sugar. I had not put in one grain of the 1 3/4 cups of sugar.

So I get the cake out of the oven, back into the mixer bowl, add in the sugar, wash out the Bundt pan, and re-grease and flour the pan. I was amazed at the change in texture of the cake batter with the addition of sugar. It actually poured into the cake pan, not scraped in thick strands.

It is back in the oven.

you did remove the beaters or at least unplugged it when you licked the beaters?

don't ask me how i know to do that, beff tharing...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #495
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
what are rock cakes? i've heard of rock soup, but never cakes before. are they like hard tack?

you did remove the beaters or at least unplugged it when you licked the beaters?

don't ask me how i know to do that, beff tharing...
So if she doesn't ask, then I will. Please do tell. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #496
Head Chef

Rock cakes are little cakes with dried fruit in free form (i.e. not in tins/cases). I used apple, chopped figs and dried apricots. They have a crunchy exterior whilst remaining soft inside. (Unfortunately my decision to use honey instead of sugar meant that they softened completely today, no crunch factor!)

BBC - Food - Recipes : Rock cakes

Mine actually looked nicer than in this link - i.e. more brown, crispy round edges.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #497
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Rock cakes are little cakes with dried fruit in free form (i.e. not in tins/cases). I used apple, chopped figs and dried apricots. They have a crunchy exterior whilst remaining soft inside. (Unfortunately my decision to use honey instead of sugar meant that they softened completely today, no crunch factor!)

BBC - Food - Recipes : Rock cakes

Mine actually looked nicer than in this link - i.e. more brown, crispy round edges.

Yes, honey along with other syrup type ingredients are humectants, they keep things moist by pulling moisture from the air. It's great to add to things that you want to keep moist in storage.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 10-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #498
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Yes bakechef...I did know that but somehow forgot. Maybe they would have been soft the next day anyway though since they contained fresh apple? Not sure - best eaten same day really.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #499
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
okay

It is back in the oven.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Actually that is a very interesting lesson we should all consider: the effect of sugar on our baking recipes.

It must be very important to have such a profound effect on the texture. Where is that Ratio guy when we need him?

My claim to fame is my focaccia. There is always some sugar or honey in my focaccia, to act as an accelerant for the yeast.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #500
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
In for a penny, in for a pound. Actually that is a very interesting lesson we should all consider: the effect of sugar on our baking recipes.

It must be very important to have such a profound effect on the texture. Where is that Ratio guy when we need him?

My claim to fame is my focaccia. There is always some sugar or honey in my focaccia, to act as an accelerant for the yeast.
Someone else has done this experiment, with leavening agents as well

http://www.handletheheat.com/the-ult...-chip-cookies/

Tags
baking