"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #561
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,599
I am feeling cheated.


The main bread product eaten in this household is tortillas, and I make them twice a week. But they are not baked. I'm a baker.


I have noticed I am making a lot of cookies and brownies though.

Yesterday I made Mexican brownies that have hot pepper and cinnamon added...very tasty.

Today I am making more tortillas.
__________________

__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #562
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I am feeling cheated.


The main bread product eaten in this household is tortillas, and I make them twice a week. But they are not baked. I'm a baker.


I have noticed I am making a lot of cookies and brownies though.

Yesterday I made Mexican brownies that have hot pepper and cinnamon added...very tasty.

Today I am making more tortillas.
Beth, do you use Mexican chocolate in those brownies? I have a recipe for Mexican chocolate cookies that include it, and I LOVE them So delicious!
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #563
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Beth, do you use Mexican chocolate in those brownies? I have a recipe for Mexican chocolate cookies that include it, and I LOVE them So delicious!

No I don't. The recipe calls for a good quality cocoa powder and I use my Penzey's Natural High Fat cocoa.

This is the recipe I use.

Aaron Sanchez's Mexican Brownies Recipe : Aarón Sánchez : Food Network
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #564
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
Sounds like my recipe with the addition of the spices. Thanks.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #565
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sounds like my recipe with the addition of the spices. Thanks.

Yeah, with all that butter and sugar, how can you go wrong?

The 1/4 t. hot chili powder is not enough, I am up to 1 t..
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #566
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,265
Made a casserole dish of bread pudding this (Monday) evening. The recipe said raisins were optional, so I optioned to include them. Since they had been in the pantry for a while, I needed to soften them up - so I warmed a little bit of rum and tossed the raisins in the bowl. We have enough for dessert tomorrow too after our servings tonight, plus a food container set aside to drop off at my SIL's tomorrow.

Thinking that the next time I make it, I'll toss in dried cherries and a few bits of chocolate.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #567
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Made a casserole dish of bread pudding this (Monday) evening. The recipe said raisins were optional, so I optioned to include them. Since they had been in the pantry for a while, I needed to soften them up - so I warmed a little bit of rum and tossed the raisins in the bowl. We have enough for dessert tomorrow too after our servings tonight, plus a food container set aside to drop off at my SIL's tomorrow.

Thinking that the next time I make it, I'll toss in dried cherries and a few bits of chocolate.
In place of raisins, try Craisins. Really sweet when dried.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #568
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
I'd go with the dried cherries. Love them! and they remind me of Michigan. Btw, all fruits are really sweet when dried because the sugar is concentrated when the moisture is removed.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #569
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'd go with the dried cherries. Love them! and they remind me of Michigan. Btw, all fruits are really sweet when dried because the sugar is concentrated when the moisture is removed.
I'm not sure that's a correct statement, GG. Peppers are botanically clasified as fruits, and when dried, are often pungent and hot. I do have to admit that Habeneros, of teh Scotch Bonnet family, have tasted sweet to me, especially when fresh.

Just sayin'.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #570
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'm not sure that's a correct statement, GG. Peppers are botanically clasified as fruits, and when dried, are often pungent and hot. I do have to admit that Habeneros, of teh Scotch Bonnet family, have tasted sweet to me, especially when fresh.

Just sayin'.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Come on, Chief. Beans, peas, cucumbers and eggplant are botanically classified as fruits, too. I was referring to what we traditionally think of in the culinary world as fruits, i.e., they taste sweet and contain a lot of sugar.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
baking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.