"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #571
Master Chef

Addie, Craisins are chopped up too tiny for me to like. Either that, or Ocean Spray uses up all their runt berries that way. I prefer either Trader Joe's private label or Mariani brand. I have found the Mariani cranberries at Market Basket, so you know the price is right too. Their walnuts are great too. Oh, and I'm still favoring cherries over cranberries in the next bread pudding.

Chief, (and GG), no risk of me putting dried peppers into my bread pudding anytime soon. However Chief, I can see the wheels turning in your head all the way here in MA. Perhaps a savory bread pudding? Dried peppers, corn kernels, sundried tomato bits, all mixed with a dense bread. Seasoned to go along with pulled or bbq'd pork. Sounds like a possibility to me...

Old 12-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #572
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, Craisins are chopped up too tiny for me to like. Either that, or Ocean Spray uses up all their runt berries that way. I prefer either Trader Joe's private label or Mariani brand. I have found the Mariani cranberries at Market Basket, so you know the price is right too. Their walnuts are great too. Oh, and I'm still favoring cherries over cranberries in the next bread pudding.

Chief, (and GG), no risk of me putting dried peppers into my bread pudding anytime soon. However Chief, I can see the wheels turning in your head all the way here in MA. Perhaps a savory bread pudding? Dried peppers, corn kernels, sundried tomato bits, all mixed with a dense bread. Seasoned to go along with pulled or bbq'd pork. Sounds like a possibility to me...
Yesterday I made energy bars for DH with 1 cup each of dried cherries, dried dates, and roasted peanuts mushed up in the food processor, then pressed in a pan. The cherries were pretty good size - about twice the size of raisins.

That savory bread pudding sounds great. I'm making turkey stock right now that could go on savory BP to go with roasted turkey legs. Mmmm...

Old 12-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #573
Master Chef

Hmm, maybe if you have Brussels sprouts around you could shred a few to mix into the savory bread pudding. You know what, there already IS "savory bread pudding", right? It's called stuffing. Or filling/fill. Or dressing. So much for coining a new food.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #574
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hmm, maybe if you have Brussels sprouts around you could shred a few to mix into the savory bread pudding. You know what, there already IS "savory bread pudding", right? It's called stuffing. Or filling/fill. Or dressing. So much for coining a new food.
Yeah, I was going to mention that, but I thought it was self-evident
Old 12-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #575
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Come on, Chief. Beans, peas, cucumbers and eggplant are botanically classified as fruits, too. I was referring to what we traditionally think of in the culinary world as fruits, i.e., they taste sweet and contain a lot of sugar.
I concur. When I think of fruit, I usually think of bananas, peaches, apples, berries, etc. Although, some fruits pack a real punch as well. You're not likely to see me sucking on a lemon, or lime, or a sour, under-ripe apple.

That being said, what you said is just fine.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #576
Chef Extraordinaire

Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #577
Master Chef

Quote:

Sounds like a probability to me. Hmmm, I wonder if you could make corn bead out of massa harina. Add some chopped peppers, a little bit of this, and a little bit of that. You got those wheels just spinnin' now.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #578
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
... You got those wheels just spinnin' now.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I know you. I like to come up with a different spin on ordinary foods on occasion, if only to make Himself go "hmmm". Especially when it's enough out of the norm that I'm not sure he'll like it, and then he says "that was tasty". Makes the cooking (and cleaning up) worth it. All I ask is "Compliment the Cook".
Old 12-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #579
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As much as I love this time of year, there are two foods that are almost poison for me. And I love them both.

Pumpkin pie and sage dressing. I get heartburn so bad that one year I had to go to the ER because I couldn't get it under control. Yet, knowing this, I pick and pick until once again I have a case of massive heartburn. And I will probably do it again this year. I already have my medicine to take BEFORE I start to eat.
Addie, this used to happen to DH. Now when I bake pumpkin pie I only use 1/2 of the spice called for, and omit the Nutmeg altogether and he's fine now. It doesn't seem to bother the rest of the family that the pie isn't as spicy as some.

I do the same thing with the dressing. I buy Brownberry Oven croutons. I buy one bag plain and one bag seasoned and mix them together. That way there is some seasoned taste, but it's not so overpowering.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #580
Executive Chef

Some close to expiration date cream cheese is now a cheesecake for DH. I used the recipe on the Philly package. Easy. It turned out good. I rarely eat sweets anymore but I did try a piece. Didn't want DH to be poisoned. LOL It tasted too sweet for me, since my body is not used to sugar, but DH says it's fine, and has some frozen strawberries to put over it. Christmas is coming....gotta keep the old guy happy.

Tags
baking