"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #591
Chef Extraordinaire

Seven of the cookies I make, plus the lefse, are part of the family tradition (Scandinavian tradition is to have seven different kinds of cookies, lefse, well, that's not really a cookie, but part of the cookie tray). The others are ones that are often requested. The Lebkucken dough keeps well in the freezer, so I will probably freeze some of the dough.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #592
Executive Chef

the traditional Christmas Spanish, and the New Mexico state cookie; biscochitios

Old 12-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #593
Master Chef

One of my DD's loves Hamentashen. Will have to make some up to take downstate. Will be making cookies tonight, and a croquembouche for a Church Christmas party for Saturday. That should keep me busy for a short time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #594
Chef Extraordinaire

Got all the missing ingredients today. Have pulled out the recipes and tools I need to make the various cookies and organized everything so I can do "production" mixing of dough and baking. I am working on converting the recipes to baker's percentages so I can scale the recipes down from enough to feed the Swedish Army to enough for 8-10 people. I have butter softening downstairs near the woodstove--but not too close, I just want the butter softened, not melted. Checked and I do have dark Karo syrup for the peppernuts.

The storm is heading our way, and I plan on baking until I can snowblow the driveway and get out of the house again--probably Friday or Saturday morning. Closed up the barn, locked up the hens, and brought in more wood, parked the car close to the end of the driveway so I "could" get out without having to clear all 300 ft of the driveway. I don't plan to leave--right now I'm in my fleecy onesy converting recipes to baker's percentages with a glass of red.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #595
Master Chef

Enjoy your hunkerin' down time, CW. Stay safe and warm. Hope all your conversions are accurate after computing with wine.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #596
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, the peppernut dough is in the freezer. I used pastry flour and ended up having to up it by 100 g to get the texture right. We'll see what happens when I bake the cookies. Since that is my FAVORITE cookie dough, if the cookies don't turn out, I know the dough will not go waste...oops, it will go to waist.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #597
Master Chef

Got the butterscotch-bacon cookies done last night. They came out all nice and soft, with crispy edges, you know, the kind that the experts say you can't make without using multiple dough recipes, one for the middle, and one for the outside. Silly experts. Just made one batch. DW says I need to make another batch, and two batches of Toll for Saturday's Christmas party/pot luck at the church.

The profiteroles and pastry cream will be made Saturday morning for the croquenbusche.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #598
Chef Extraordinaire

Got the brown sugar shortbread dough done. Next up--"Alice" cookies. Got the rye and barley soaking in beer for the "Schwartz brot." I am still looking for the krumkake iron--I know it is here and not at the farm...I found the cone. I invited a friend who has two sons (12 and 10) to come out on Saturday or Sunday to help roll/shape the cookies. They have to go home with some. Meanwhile, outside it is snowing like crazy.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #599
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Recipe Details Rosemary, Lemon, Blackpepper "cookies"
I don't know if those "biscuits" will make it to the table. OMG, the dough is sooooo good. I did roast the pepper corns before I ground them and I added lime zest to the lemon zest. Now, if I can stay out of the fridge and let the dough chill, I'll be able to give an opinion on the baked "biscuits." If the dough is any indication, the "biscuits" should be to die for.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #600
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I don't know if those "biscuits" will make it to the table. OMG, the dough is sooooo good. I did roast the pepper corns before I ground them and I added lime zest to the lemon zest. Now, if I can stay out of the fridge and let the dough chill, I'll be able to give an opinion on the baked "biscuits." If the dough is any indication, the "biscuits" should be to die for.
I wish I had just a pinch of your energy right now.

Closed Thread

Tags
baking