"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #61
Certified Pretend Chef

Just made a quick and easy chocolate cake. Ingredients for the chocolate ganache frosting are ready to go when the cake has cooled.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The first thing I learning in nursing school was how to wash my hands...
In the panic about antibiotic resistant wound infections (eg MRSA) in UK hospitals someone quietly suggested re-training staff in hand hygiene. It hasn't completely done away with the problem but the incidence of infection has dropped significantly.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #63
Executive Chef

I used the last of the Khorosan ("Kamut") flour with equal quantities of ordinary strong bread flour to make a loaf and left it to rise overnight to bake this morning. I can't recommend Khorosan flour for bread making. It was on "special" in the health food shop and I now know why! I'm not surprised that man has spent 1000s of years improving strains of wheat if Khorosan was what his wife had to put up with!

Also made hazelnut oat flapjacks and 2 fruit cakes. Not economical to make only one. They keep well - one to eat and one to keep for later or to give away. I find home-made cake is always welcome as a "Thank you" gift for favours rendered.

Might make some Staffordshire oatcakes (a type of pancake rather than the crisp Scottish oatcake) while the bread is in the oven. They freeze well and are delicious with bacon and egg (I fry them in the bacon fat) or rolled round cheese and heated through until the cheese melts for a snack lunch with my veggie friend. Not bad toasted lightly and served with butter and jam, too.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
My younger brother's been looking for a bread machine at his area's thrift stores, but no luck. I've been looking here and, last week, I scored a brand new Sunbeam one. Never used. The cord was still wrapped in the manner done at the factory. Instruction book and a box of bread mix was there, too. So, I've been putting the machine through its paces to be certain it's okay. Performing like a champ. Paid $7.50 for the machine. The current year's model of this machine retails at $110.00. Yeah!!!!!

Today I made a batch of our family's potato rolls. Perfect. Made two loaves of white toasting bread yesterday. Perfect, too. Tomorrow will be a couple of baguettes.

BTW, I only use the DOUGH setting. This way I can shape my doughs into what I want them to be. That's what my brother wants to do as well.
Wow, what a bargain! It amazes me how many brand new "unwanted gifts" get into thrift shops. Rather sad, really, when someone has gone to the trouble of buying them

I mix and partly knead my bread dough in my big Magimix food processor. I couldn't get on with my bread-maker and gave it away after a couple of years trying and went back to the old-fashioned way of making bread. I really quite enjoy the kneading. I find it therapeutic especially if I'm annoyed with someone and I can give the dough a name
Old 03-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #65
Executive Chef

I bought my bread machine at a flea market, new in a sealed box. I used it once. I don't know why I bought it because as a diabetic, I am not supposed to eat much bread. But I just couldn't pass up a bargain!

Katie, do you mean that you use the machine up until it's time to bake and then bake it in the oven? I never thought of doing that.

It is sad that gifts end up in thrift shops, but it's nice for those of us who buy them there. There are some things I would like to have but I'm not sure I would like it, so buying it at a reduced price is great.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #66
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Might make some Staffordshire oatcakes (a type of pancake rather than the crisp Scottish oatcake) while the bread is in the oven. They freeze well and are delicious with bacon and egg (I fry them in the bacon fat) or rolled round cheese and heated through until the cheese melts for a snack lunch with my veggie friend. Not bad toasted lightly and served with butter and jam, too.
Mad Cook, could you post a recipe for the Staffordshire Oatcakes? Sounds like a way I could get more oats into our diet.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #67
Executive Chef

I bought my bread machine at a yard sale, practically brand new. I didn't care for the bread it makes so much, but I do use it occasionally up through the dough cycle then bake the bread in the oven. Some day I should let it make Pizza dough.

What I often see at thrift stores are George Forman type grills. All kinds of sizes.

I'm going to stir up a pan of cornbread later for dinner tonight in a cast iron fry pan.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We were in Target last night and Rob saw a watermelon cupcake mix and frosting. He got excited about it, and asked me if I would make it for him. As much as I'm not a cake mix maker, how could I say no to such a simple request? There are times that I get a glimpse of what it would be like to have a kid

They are interesting, he likes them.

http://bakingbetter.com
Old 03-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We were in Target last night and Rob saw a watermelon cupcake mix and frosting. He got excited about it, and asked me if I would make it for him. As much as I'm not a cake mix maker, how could I say no to such a simple request? There are times that I get a glimpse of what it would be like to have a kid

They are interesting, he likes them.
They sound cute! Can you post a pic?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

I made a velvet chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing. I tweaked the cake recipe here:

Chocolate Velvet Cake Recipe - Cooking | Add a Pinch | Robyn Stone

The tweaks I made were that I used three eggs (based on other recipes for the same cake using the same amount of buttermilk, shortening, flour, and sugar), 5 T cocoa powder, 2 oz. melted dark chocolate (added after the buttermilk and eggs after the chocolate cooled), 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 c white, 1/4 c safflower oil (in addition to the butter) and 2-1/2 c cake flour (sifted). I divided the batter into 3 pans. They were done in 20 minutes. Waiting for them to cool enough to frost and assemble. Serving with a garnish of fresh pineapple and tangerine slices. I hope my guests like the cake since I will only take a very small slice.

Closed Thread

Tags
baking