"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I made a velvet chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing. I tweaked the cake recipe here:

Chocolate Velvet Cake Recipe - Cooking | Add a Pinch | Robyn Stone

The tweaks I made were that I used three eggs (based on other recipes for the same cake using the same amount of buttermilk, shortening, flour, and sugar), 5 T cocoa powder, 2 oz. melted dark chocolate (added after the buttermilk and eggs after the chocolate cooled), 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 c white, 1/4 c safflower oil (in addition to the butter) and 2-1/2 c cake flour (sifted). I divided the batter into 3 pans. They were done in 20 minutes. Waiting for them to cool enough to frost and assemble. Serving with a garnish of fresh pineapple and tangerine slices. I hope my guests like the cake since I will only take a very small slice.
If any of you ate Pepperidge (sp) chocolate layer cake, the thin slices frozen cake, this tastes a lot like that, but better. That is the "taste memory" it triggered when I helped myself to one wee thin slice...

Old 03-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
...Katie, do you mean that you use the machine up until it's time to bake and then bake it in the oven? I never thought of doing that...
That's how I use my bread machine, after using it all the way through to make a couple loaves of bread. Didn't like the shape, the paddle that would stick in the loaf no matter what you did to make it slip out, or the heaviness of the bread. The first time I used it in the "dough" setting and took the bread out for it's second rise I was amazed at how different (and better) the bread turned out. If you still have that old machine give it a try. And then resist temptation to eat the entire loaf.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's how I use my bread machine, after using it all the way through to make a couple loaves of bread. Didn't like the shape, the paddle that would stick in the loaf no matter what you did to make it slip out, or the heaviness of the bread. The first time I used it in the "dough" setting and took the bread out for it's second rise I was amazed at how different (and better) the bread turned out. If you still have that old machine give it a try. And then resist temptation to eat the entire loaf.
I do that, too, and I made the most amazing yeast rolls for Thanksgiving with the dough setting. My mom said they were perfect! Another time, I made French bread rolls for sandwiches. As Katie says, she makes all her household breads this way.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If any of you ate Pepperidge (sp) chocolate layer cake, the thin slices frozen cake, this tastes a lot like that, but better. That is the "taste memory" it triggered when I helped myself to one wee thin slice...
CWS4322, Your "taste memory" made me laugh!

Believe me I'm not laughing at you, I find myself having similar food memories. Memories of food from giant megaconglomerates instead of from my Grandmas kitchen. In my case I have both, along with memories of fresh picked peaches and vine ripened tomatoes, etc. I'm afraid that many in the generation behind us will only have taste memories of Kraft mac & cheese in the blue box or a birthday cake from Pepperidge Farm, that Mom thawed just for them!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Katie, do you mean that you use the machine up until it's time to bake and then bake it in the oven? I never thought of doing that.
Yes. I let the machine do all the "heavy lifting," which in my case is the kneading. I have arthritis, have had for years, in both my hands and kneading just kills me. The bread machine does a fine job of that task, along with taking care of the first rise. Once that is finished all I have to do is to shape the dough into what I've chosen it to be. Rolls, buns, loaves, French bread, etc.

Many, many years ago I spoke with one of the resident bakers at the King Arthur flour company and was told that a bread machine does a far better job of kneading than the human hands. I'm sold on it.

Plus, using the machine in this way lets me go about doing other things I wish to do. Making bread in our house is a breeze when I do it this way.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
CWS4322, Your "taste memory" made me laugh!

Believe me I'm not laughing at you, I find myself having similar food memories. Memories of food from giant megaconglomerates instead of from my Grandmas kitchen. In my case I have both, along with memories of fresh picked peaches and vine ripened tomatoes, etc. I'm afraid that many in the generation behind us will only have taste memories of Kraft mac & cheese in the blue box or a birthday cake from Pepperidge Farm, that Mom thawed just for them!
My great aunt, who lived along, used to make creamed chicken on toast with green peas and always served one of those chocolate cakes for dessert, so the food memory triggered did trigger time spent with her. When she asked me what I wanted when she died, I wanted the cane rocking chair I would sit in when we would visit and have "tea" together.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #77
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Katie, do you use bread machine recipes and yeast or just the old stand-bys?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
PF--I use both. I have had to tweak the old stand-bys to follow the ratio of liquid to dry ingredients recommended by the bread machine manufacturer. And like others, I use it as a "dough" maker.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #79
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I guess my question is...do you use your regular recipe or a bread machine recipe to just make it to the dough stage? I'm wondering if I would have to revamp my trusted recipes to use the machine to the dough stage.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've never used a bread machine recipe. I always use all my TNT recipes or whatever other bread recipe tickles my fancy. All the machine does is to knead and keep the dough warm for the first rise.

Closed Thread

Tags
baking