What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me three! Recipe??

I baked a rhubarb upside down cake today. Haven't tried it yet, I hope it's yummy!
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1401679553.921501.jpg

bakechef: I love making "kaiser" rolls. Did you bake them upside down? Beautiful, btw. I wish I still ate bread every day...I miss bread.

bakechef: I love making "kaiser" rolls. Did you bake them upside down? Beautiful, btw. I wish I still ate bread every day...I miss bread.

No, I just formed them and let them proof as is, and baked. I love baking bread, it is quite rewarding

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

No, I just formed them and let them proof as is, and baked. I love baking bread, it is quite rewarding

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

When I used to make bread, I would zone out when it came time for the kneading. That was always my time to do some deep thinking. :angel:

Tonight I made Extra Peanut Buttery Peanut Butter Cookies with some semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped homemade peanut butter cups thrown in. The taste was right on, but the texture was too soft and crumbly, so they didn't hold together well. Still loved them, though.

Tonight I made Extra Peanut Buttery Peanut Butter Cookies with some semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped homemade peanut butter cups thrown in. The taste was right on, but the texture was too soft and crumbly, so they didn't hold together well. Still loved them, though.

I am curious as to what made them fall apart. Too much shortening? Too little shortening? Can you post the recipe? I love PB cookies. Can't stop eating them as long as they are sitting there. With a nice tall glass of cold milk. :angel:

I am curious as to what made them fall apart. Too much shortening? Too little shortening? Can you post the recipe? I love PB cookies. Can't stop eating them as long as they are sitting there. With a nice tall glass of cold milk. :angel:

Addie,
I did a lot of tweaks to suit my taste, so I think the first two tweaks affected the texture, such as switching the two sugar measurements and using natural instead of processed peanut butter.

Tweaks:
*I switched the amounts of brown sugar and white sugar
*I used natural peanut butter instead of processed (processed is usually recommended for cookies, although this recipe didn't indicate that).

Other tweaks:
I added chocolate chips and a small amount of chopped peanut butter cups
I did very rounded Tbsp
I omitted the chopped peanuts

Here's a link to the original recipe:
Extra Peanutty Peanut Butter Cookies - Healthy Recipe Finder | Rodale

Last edited:
I am baking a mountain of chocolate cake....well a castle of it anyway if not a mountain. :LOL: I am making a sandcastle cake for a a grad banquet for tomorrow night. The base cakes are each 4 inches high not filled (15", 9" and 6" in diameter) and the turrets are going to be white cake jelly rolls with lemon and (separately) raspberry filling.

I already have chocolate shells and sea life made and my 9 year old helper will be making "rocks" today.

In case you didn't guess, the banquet is "beach" themed.

Addie,
I did a lot of tweaks to suit my taste, so I think the first two tweaks affected the texture, such as switching the two sugar measurements and using natural instead of processed peanut butter.

Tweaks:
*I switched the amounts of brown sugar and white sugar
*I used natural peanut butter instead of processed (processed is usually recommended for cookies, although this recipe didn't indicate that).

Other tweaks:
I added chocolate chips and a small amount of chopped peanut butter cups
I did very rounded Tbsp
I omitted the chopped peanuts

Here's a link to the original recipe:
Extra Peanutty Peanut Butter Cookies - Healthy Recipe Finder | Rodale

You can use natural PB, but you have to stir it really good. And when you think you have stirred it enough, stir it some more. I found that when I do use natural PB, I cut the shortening by 2 tablespoons as the natural oil in the PB likes to come to the forefront. :angel:

You can use natural PB, but you have to stir it really good. And when you think you have stirred it enough, stir it some more. I found that when I do use natural PB, I cut the shortening by 2 tablespoons as the natural oil in the PB likes to come to the forefront. :angel:

I stirred it very, very well.

Andy, pineapple upside down cake is my favorite! Funny...I've been thinking about it lately, then I see your post! Must make it soon. :)

Merstar....those chocolate cookies look fabulous! :ohmy: :yum:

Andy, pineapple upside down cake is my favorite! Funny...I've been thinking about it lately, then I see your post! Must make it soon. :)...

It's really good. I had another piece for lunch today. When I was a kid, we had an aunt in Philly who was famous for her PUD cake. I always wanted to go visit her n Philly or have them come up to visit us in hopes that she would make that cake. So it's fun to make it now and remember her.

SO made hers in a 12" cast iron skillet. The issue there is finding a dish and cover that will hold the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom