What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yum! I love those but usually only make them for Christmas. Enjoy!

Yeah, well, there's a couple of things going on here:blush:.

I am making these cookies for an open house this Sunday. All the homes in my retirement community will be open to the public for touring and cookies will be served at the community house. I didn't know the baking ability of the person in charge of this event;). I know I judge places on the quality of the food and didn't want to leave anything to chance:D.

I also thought I needed to prove my baking ability, but apparently that has already been established.

Yeah, well, there's a couple of things going on here:blush:.

I am making these cookies for an open house this Sunday. All the homes in my retirement community will be open to the public for touring and cookies will be served at the community house. I didn't know the baking ability of the person in charge of this event;). I know I judge places on the quality of the food and didn't want to leave anything to chance:D.

I also thought I needed to prove my baking ability, but apparently that has already been established.

So now you're the resident baker! Not a bad thing to be :LOL: DH and I ran into some sister master gardeners at an event recently and one of them told me they had just been telling friends what a good cook I am. It's nice having people to cook for other than DH and me, as appreciative as he is :wub:

Pizza bread. Rollout the bread, before you shape the loaf, brusk lightly with marinara/pizza sauce. Sprinkle with shredded mozzerella, top with pepperoni or cooked Italian sausage. Don't overdo it on any of these, roll and shape the loaf, allow to rise and bake. I like to dip this in more marinara while it's still warm.

The rainy day prompted me to bake something. I picked the last few figs, overhanging from the neighbor garden and baked a fig cake. I just made a regular cake batter, halved the figs and pressed them into the batter and baked it for 30''. I have enjoyed it all summer for breakfast.

Attachments

• fig cake 001.jpg
    fig cake 001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 172
So now you're the resident baker! Not a bad thing to be :LOL: DH and I ran into some sister master gardeners at an event recently and one of them told me they had just been telling friends what a good cook I am. It's nice having people to cook for other than DH and me, as appreciative as he is :wub:

That's why I still cook and bake for my kids. Old habits die hard. :angel:

I love the wide bands of the lattice lace. Sounds delish! :angel:

The pie turned out beautifully. Addie, I didn't do the lattice, instead I used a lattice-like template Glenn gave me for Christmas one year. Some of the heart cut-outs are a bit obliterated because the caramel dip filled them up. Here's a picture of the finished product. Can't wait to cut into it!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 157
The pie turned out beautifully. Addie, I didn't do the lattice, instead I used a lattice-like template Glenn gave me for Christmas one year. Some of the heart cut-outs are a bit obliterated because the caramel dip filled them up. Here's a picture of the finished product. Can't wait to cut into it!

I want a piece. :wub: That is beautiful. That looks better than a caramel apple at the fair. :angel:

Yesterday, I made an apple/pear pie, and a blue berry pie for one of our local volunteer fire department smoked pig fund raisers. They sliced them up an sold the pie per slice. I hope they got a good price for them. The blueberry pie alone cost me $12 for the berries. The apple/pear pie cost about $7 for the fruit.

This morning, using the SpudNut doughnut recipe, I made 32 pigs in the blanket (hot dog in baked yeast dough) for our church pot luck. I used up 13 cups of flour in baking, plus lard, sugar, salt, etc. I still have a kitchen to clean up, though the pots, pans, utensils, and baking vessels are clean.

Happily, everyone loved the food. I didn't get any pie though:mellow:. But it went for a good cause. You can't imagine how tempting it was to keep the pies at home, and just donate some cash. They looked so good. I did get one pig in the blanket.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yep! Guilty as charged. To further "delicious-ize" the pie, warm caramel dip is drizzled over the top of the pie while it's still warm, then allowed to cool.

And the down side to this is..........?

Not enough caramel?

Not enough caramel?

Trust me, there's more than enough caramel. There's some in the pie as well.

Okay, now....

I have to report on how the pie tasted. Omigosh! Nothing short of divine. It was like eating apple crumble, apple pie, caramel apples, all in the same bite. It was glorious!

I you're an apple pie lover, you HAVE to make this pie!!!

It's all your fault I am dipping granny smith slices in caramel sauce and having that for dessert.

Not to mention the dark chocolate shortbread cookie I dipped in the caramel...don't do it!!! You won't want to stop!

Apple cake, of a sort.

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 apples
+ sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling

Beat eggs and sugar till soft picks
add flour, mix well. Pill and slice apples thinly. Mix 50/50 sugar and cinnamon sprinkle over apples, fold the apples into the batter. Pour into a form, sprinkle some more sugar/cinnamon on the tom. Bake 325 deg about an hour, but check, could be more, could be less. Just baked 6 full size aluminum trays. It was recipe times 18. Yum.

Pizza bread. Rollout the bread, before you shape the loaf, brusk lightly with marinara/pizza sauce. Sprinkle with shredded mozzerella, top with pepperoni or cooked Italian sausage. Don't overdo it on any of these, roll and shape the loaf, allow to rise and bake. I like to dip this in more marinara while it's still warm.

Thank you! You have given me some good ideas! It occurs to me that there really isn't much difference between pizza dough and focaccia, but rather how you handle it and what shape you bake it in.

I had forgotten how much fun baking was, since I was on the road (in my trailer) for a couple years, and still haven't settled into my new home the last year and a few months since I bought my present home.

I used to enjoy baking the occasional pizza, so I'll take one of my pizza creations and wrap 'n roll it! :) I'll let you know if I do it and how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom