What are you baking today? | 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeling cheated.

The main bread product eaten in this household is tortillas, and I make them twice a week. But they are not baked. I'm a baker.

I have noticed I am making a lot of cookies and brownies though;).

Yesterday I made Mexican brownies that have hot pepper and cinnamon added...very tasty.

Today I am making more tortillas.

I am feeling cheated.

The main bread product eaten in this household is tortillas, and I make them twice a week. But they are not baked. I'm a baker.

I have noticed I am making a lot of cookies and brownies though;).

Yesterday I made Mexican brownies that have hot pepper and cinnamon added...very tasty.

Today I am making more tortillas.

Beth, do you use Mexican chocolate in those brownies? I have a recipe for Mexican chocolate cookies that include it, and I LOVE them :heart: So delicious!

Last edited:
Made a casserole dish of bread pudding this (Monday) evening. The recipe said raisins were optional, so I optioned to include them. Since they had been in the pantry for a while, I needed to soften them up - so I warmed a little bit of rum and tossed the raisins in the bowl. We have enough for dessert tomorrow too after our servings tonight, plus a food container set aside to drop off at my SIL's tomorrow.

Thinking that the next time I make it, I'll toss in dried cherries and a few bits of chocolate. :yum:

Made a casserole dish of bread pudding this (Monday) evening. The recipe said raisins were optional, so I optioned to include them. Since they had been in the pantry for a while, I needed to soften them up - so I warmed a little bit of rum and tossed the raisins in the bowl. We have enough for dessert tomorrow too after our servings tonight, plus a food container set aside to drop off at my SIL's tomorrow.

Thinking that the next time I make it, I'll toss in dried cherries and a few bits of chocolate. :yum:

In place of raisins, try Craisins. Really sweet when dried. :angel:

I'd go with the dried cherries. Love them! and they remind me of Michigan. Btw, all fruits are really sweet when dried because the sugar is concentrated when the moisture is removed.

I'd go with the dried cherries. Love them! and they remind me of Michigan. Btw, all fruits are really sweet when dried because the sugar is concentrated when the moisture is removed.

I'm not sure that's a correct statement, GG. Peppers are botanically clasified as fruits, and when dried, are often pungent and hot. I do have to admit that Habeneros, of teh Scotch Bonnet family, have tasted sweet to me, especially when fresh.

Just sayin':).

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm not sure that's a correct statement, GG. Peppers are botanically clasified as fruits, and when dried, are often pungent and hot. I do have to admit that Habeneros, of teh Scotch Bonnet family, have tasted sweet to me, especially when fresh.

Just sayin':).

Come on, Chief. Beans, peas, cucumbers and eggplant are botanically classified as fruits, too. I was referring to what we traditionally think of in the culinary world as fruits, i.e., they taste sweet and contain a lot of sugar.

Addie, Craisins are chopped up too tiny for me to like. Either that, or Ocean Spray uses up all their runt berries that way. I prefer either Trader Joe's private label or Mariani brand. I have found the Mariani cranberries at Market Basket, so you know the price is right too. Their walnuts are great too. Oh, and I'm still favoring cherries over cranberries in the next bread pudding.

Chief, (and GG), no risk of me putting dried peppers into my bread pudding anytime soon. :LOL: However Chief, I can see the wheels turning in your head all the way here in MA. Perhaps a savory bread pudding? Dried peppers, corn kernels, sundried tomato bits, all mixed with a dense bread. Seasoned to go along with pulled or bbq'd pork. Sounds like a possibility to me...

Addie, Craisins are chopped up too tiny for me to like. Either that, or Ocean Spray uses up all their runt berries that way. I prefer either Trader Joe's private label or Mariani brand. I have found the Mariani cranberries at Market Basket, so you know the price is right too. Their walnuts are great too. Oh, and I'm still favoring cherries over cranberries in the next bread pudding.

Chief, (and GG), no risk of me putting dried peppers into my bread pudding anytime soon. :LOL: However Chief, I can see the wheels turning in your head all the way here in MA. Perhaps a savory bread pudding? Dried peppers, corn kernels, sundried tomato bits, all mixed with a dense bread. Seasoned to go along with pulled or bbq'd pork. Sounds like a possibility to me...

Yesterday I made energy bars for DH with 1 cup each of dried cherries, dried dates, and roasted peanuts mushed up in the food processor, then pressed in a pan. The cherries were pretty good size - about twice the size of raisins.

That savory bread pudding sounds great. I'm making turkey stock right now that could go on savory BP to go with roasted turkey legs. Mmmm...

Hmm, maybe if you have Brussels sprouts around you could shred a few to mix into the savory bread pudding. :huh: You know what, there already IS "savory bread pudding", right? It's called stuffing. Or filling/fill. Or dressing. So much for coining a new food.
34853_doh.gif

Hmm, maybe if you have Brussels sprouts around you could shred a few to mix into the savory bread pudding. :huh: You know what, there already IS "savory bread pudding", right? It's called stuffing. Or filling/fill. Or dressing. So much for coining a new food.
34853_doh.gif

Yeah, I was going to mention that, but I thought it was self-evident :innocent: ;)

Come on, Chief. Beans, peas, cucumbers and eggplant are botanically classified as fruits, too. I was referring to what we traditionally think of in the culinary world as fruits, i.e., they taste sweet and contain a lot of sugar.

I concur. When I think of fruit, I usually think of bananas, peaches, apples, berries, etc. Although, some fruits pack a real punch as well. You're not likely to see me sucking on a lemon, or lime, or a sour, under-ripe apple.

That being said, what you said is just fine.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds like a probability to me.:yum: Hmmm, I wonder if you could make corn bead out of massa harina. Add some chopped peppers, a little bit of this, and a little bit of that. You got those wheels just spinnin' now.:mrgreen:

... You got those wheels just spinnin' now.:mrgreen:

I know you. I like to come up with a different spin on ordinary foods on occasion, if only to make Himself go "hmmm". Especially when it's enough out of the norm that I'm not sure he'll like it, and then he says "that was tasty". Makes the cooking (and cleaning up) worth it. All I ask is "Compliment the Cook". ;)

As much as I love this time of year, there are two foods that are almost poison for me. And I love them both.

Pumpkin pie and sage dressing. I get heartburn so bad that one year I had to go to the ER because I couldn't get it under control. Yet, knowing this, I pick and pick until once again I have a case of massive heartburn. And I will probably do it again this year. I already have my medicine to take BEFORE I start to eat. :angel:

Addie, this used to happen to DH. Now when I bake pumpkin pie I only use 1/2 of the spice called for, and omit the Nutmeg altogether and he's fine now. It doesn't seem to bother the rest of the family that the pie isn't as spicy as some.

I do the same thing with the dressing. I buy Brownberry Oven croutons. I buy one bag plain and one bag seasoned and mix them together. That way there is some seasoned taste, but it's not so overpowering.

Some close to expiration date cream cheese is now a cheesecake for DH. I used the recipe on the Philly package. Easy. It turned out good. I rarely eat sweets anymore but I did try a piece. Didn't want DH to be poisoned. LOL It tasted too sweet for me, since my body is not used to sugar, but DH says it's fine, and has some frozen strawberries to put over it. Christmas is coming....gotta keep the old guy happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom