"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Over the weekend, SO informed me that on Monday I was taking her somewhere for the day and buying her lunch. Being a wise man, on Monday I took her somewhere for the day and bought her lunch.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #112
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Over the weekend, SO informed me that on Monday I was taking her somewhere for the day and buying her lunch. Being a wise man, on Monday I took her somewhere for the day and bought her lunch.
Well-played, Andy. You are wise AND smart. Probably good-looking, too.

Speaking of good-looking, the blueberry crumble looks great! My apologies to anyone currently headed here for a piece of blueberry crumble. Seems the two pounds I needed for a 9x13" baking pan turned out to be only 8 ounces. I ended up with a shallow, 6" pie plate. *sigh* It smelled great while baking, so we're hoping it's yummy, too. We're waiting for a little more room in our tummies before we dig in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-11 22.13.14.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	23238  

Old 08-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #113
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...CG, I'm interested in hearing about your blueberry crumble. Sounds good, and I have a bag of blueberries in the freezer...
So far, Cheryl, it looks and smells good. No reason to think it won't taste good too. However, the recipe specifically calls for "fresh blueberries". No mention of frozen. Still, if you want to test drive a small one (I ended up making only 1/4 of a recipe anyway), here is the recipe: Blueberry Crumble Recipe (Extra Blueberries)
Old 08-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #114
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Well-played, Andy. You are wise AND smart. Probably good-looking, too...

Maybe wise and smart. Two out of three ain't bad.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #115
Master Chef

Cheryl, or anyone really, if you make the blueberry crumble be sure to reduce the sugar! I did check the sweetness of the blues, and had already reduced the amount of sugar in the fruit part. I could have cut it back even more and also reduced it in the crumble part. Still, it was goooo-oood.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 AM   #116
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cheryl, or anyone really, if you make the blueberry crumble be sure to reduce the sugar! I did check the sweetness of the blues, and had already reduced the amount of sugar in the fruit part. I could have cut it back even more and also reduced it in the crumble part. Still, it was goooo-oood.
Thanks, CG. I may try this tomorrow, with the scaled down recipe. Bookmarked it. I just checked my blueberries, they're only a few weeks old and vacuum sealed, so it just might work. I have all the ingredients, even the sliced almonds. Thanks for the sugar tip.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #117
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

just took a strawberry rhubarb pie out of the oven, looking forward to digging in tomorrow when it's had a chance to cool and set up.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #118
Master Chef

That sounds delicious, BC! I love strawberry rhubarb pie.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #119
Senior Cook

Today I'm baking Red Velvet Cupcakes for sister's birthday. These are her favorite and special birthday request. Love how the house smells when the cupcakes are baking. Reminds me of when our mom would make cupcakes for us and have them as a special treat after school. I miss those days.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:28 AM   #120
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Lawdy is that strawberry rhubarb pie delicious! How did I get to 41 years old without trying this pie? We had rhubarb growing wild in our back yard growing up, but I don't remember mom making a pie with it although it's very popular back home. We'd have people from town stop by and ask to pick some we'd always let them because we had plenty!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baking