"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #171
Chef Extraordinaire

I also made pumpkin muffins with cinnamon streusel yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446206092098.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	23732  

Old 10-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #172
Certified Pretend Chef

Gotta take SO for a medical procedure this morning. When we get home I'll be making a small chocolate cake with a ganache topping. DD, SIL and my fantastic grandson are coming here for dinner and to trick or treat tomorrow. We can't disappoint the little guy.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #173
Senior Cook

Thinking about an angel food cake.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #174
Chef Extraordinaire

I made banana nut muffins yesterday, with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. I like the recipe from Cooks Illustrated - it calls for plain yogurt, which makes the muffins deliciously moist. So good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1446758569133.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	23762  
Old 11-09-2015, 03:50 AM   #175
Master Chef

"Can she bake an apple pie, Billy Boy, Billy Boy?" ~ Probably, but we prefer apple. I made a different crust today, using whole wheat pasty flour instead of AP. While Himself thought it tasted just fine, I can't cuddle up to the flavor of a WW pie crust. It was a very tender crust (ie, a real bear to roll out - ended up a lot like a patchwork quilt) and melted in the mouth, so there's that. Crumbled all over the plate when trying to move it from the baking dish, though. I used honeycrisp apples; they were very tasty, but a bit too juicy. Didn't stop us from cleaning all that juice off of the plates though!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-11-08 22.42.28.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	23778  
Old 11-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #176
Chef Extraordinaire

I made the small chocolate chip cheesecake yesterday. Thank you for your help GG. It came out perfect. The recipe called for, to sprinkle some chips over the top. I decided to melt them instead and pour over the top as a ganache. Eagle Brand had a cheesecake recipe with a ganache on it. I followed that lead. I had the Chocolate Oreo cookies for the crust, but I also had bought a package of the new Oreo Lemon. My mind started to work. (A miracle folks!) I thought if the citrus orange is a natural with chocolate, then why couldn't the Lemon Oreo do the same. The lemon flavor is outstanding. I have to find more recipes to use these cookies in.

I made the Pumpkin Cheesecake the day before. They are both wrapped up and ready to travel this morning to my daughter's house. (GS lives on first floor.) The pumpkin one is missing one slice though. Thanks to Pirate. Now he wants me to make a small version for him. That recipe was easy to cut in half. I think I am going to doe a search for one made with sweet potatoes.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #177
Head Chef

I made "cookies" for the puppies using pureed beef baby food, whole wheat flour, egg, garlic powder, a touch of S and P. They are VERY HAPPY with their "cookies."
Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #178
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I made the small chocolate chip cheesecake yesterday. Thank you for your help GG. It came out perfect. The recipe called for, to sprinkle some chips over the top. I decided to melt them instead and pour over the top as a ganache. Eagle Brand had a cheesecake recipe with a ganache on it. I followed that lead. I had the Chocolate Oreo cookies for the crust, but I also had bought a package of the new Oreo Lemon. My mind started to work. (A miracle folks!) I thought if the citrus orange is a natural with chocolate, then why couldn't the Lemon Oreo do the same. The lemon flavor is outstanding. I have to find more recipes to use these cookies in.

I made the Pumpkin Cheesecake the day before. They are both wrapped up and ready to travel this morning to my daughter's house. (GS lives on first floor.) The pumpkin one is missing one slice though. Thanks to Pirate. Now he wants me to make a small version for him. That recipe was easy to cut in half. I think I am going to doe a search for one made with sweet potatoes.
I bet that you could use that recipe and just sub sweet potatoes. I'd look at a sweet potato pie recpie and use that as inspiration for spices. Sprinkling a bit of brown sugar over the crust before adding the filing would be a nice touch like is done in a lot of sweet potato pies.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #179
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have to make something to bring to a friend's house tonight. I'm thinking something simple like brownies with a cream cheese swirl.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I bet that you could use that recipe and just sub sweet potatoes. I'd look at a sweet potato pie recpie and use that as inspiration for spices. Sprinkling a bit of brown sugar over the crust before adding the filing would be a nice touch like is done in a lot of sweet potato pies.
I do make a pumpkin cheesecake for my daughter's house with a ginger snap crust. Any leftover cookies goes right along with the cheesecake to her house. SIL loves the cookies almost as much as the cheesecake. The Chocolate Chip cheesecake is for my grandson. He gets one every year for his birthday which is in January. He just gets it a little early in time for the holiday.

Tags
baking