What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wyshiepoo - Cake strips - I've never heard of these. Where did you find them - "Lakeland", my source of all things baking, doesn't seem to have them.

My mother used to put a double strip of brown paper round her Christmas cake tin to prevent the sides of the cake over-cooking, which I suppose would serve the same purpose.

Re the bake time. Yes, I would think they would increase the baking time

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=cake+pan+baking+strips

Amazon has them. Check with Amazon.com/UK to see if you have them there. :angel:

After yesterday's overwhelming reception to salt and pepper's Cast Iron Rolls, I have another recipe of them in the works this morning. With any luck these will make it to the freezer. However, being a realist, I might have to make more tomorrow to achieve that goal.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Doing lots of food prep today. We are having company for dinner the next two nights. The bread machine is baking a loaf of French bread and I made a key lime pie. In order to increase the odds the pie will be around for Monday and Tue's suppers, I also baked some brownies:)

Attachments

• DSCN3413.jpg
    DSCN3413.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 176
I woke up this morning realizing my house was a dessert-free zone, so I just baked a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies.

I made some biscuits this morning. Day before yesterday a friend brought me a pint of her, still warm, freshly made reduced sugar strawberry preserves. I had to make something to go with finishing them off, so I baked biscuits. Everything was delightful.

Although tempted to turn the A/C on last night, we soldiered through and went with the ceiling fans. That way I didn't feel too guilty turning the toaster oven on. I baked up a Pillsbury cranberry quick bread with added walnuts. Bonus! The bread pan fits in, but my 6-muffin tin doesn't. It turned out fine. I think I'll do this every week or two to get rid of my over-stocking of quick bread mixes.

Although tempted to turn the A/C on last night, we soldiered through and went with the ceiling fans. That way I didn't feel too guilty turning the toaster oven on. I baked up a Pillsbury cranberry quick bread with added walnuts. Bonus! The bread pan fits in, but my 6-muffin tin doesn't. It turned out fine. I think I'll do this every week or two to get rid of my over-stocking of quick bread mixes.

Pirate straightened out my food cabinet today. He suggested I put Lipton's onion soup on the grocery list. Then he brought out for me to see, the nine boxes I already had. I didn't realize just how many I had. In fact if you had asked me if I had any, I would probably have said no. I will have to buy some.

I hate my food cabinet. All box items are on the bottom of the cabinet and all the can goods are on the very top shelf. I can't reach the can goods without a stool and I can't bend over to get something on the bottom without passing out. But I am stuck with it. And it is white and so difficult to keep clean. The upper shelves have a door in front of them. A glass door. Don't commit any crime in my house. You can be sure your fingerprints can be found of that dang glass door. My daughter gave me that cabinet many years ago. I was living in an apartment that had no kitchen cabinets. There are two shelves up top and two on the bottom. Plenty of room for my groceries. But not enough to stock up if there is a sale on a particular item. So those items go under the skirt on the side tables. I have two of those round table you screw the legs into and put a glass top on it. You would be surprised at how much stuff you can hide under there. :angel:

The Pillsbury quick breads are pretty good! I made one of those cranberry ones not long ago and added a little orange extract and orange zest. I just can't leave well enough alone either and have to add to it. :ermm: :LOL:

I've also been trying to go with just ceiling fans, although it's starting to get warm here. I may have to turn on the AC tomorrow.

Cheryl, I used to bake those mixes all the time when Himself was working. I think I've found an add-in for almost every variety. I add golden raisins and walnuts to the pumpkin mix, walnuts or halved canned mandarin oranges to the cranberry one (use the juice from the can for part of the water you need for the mix), almonds in the blueberry one. Adding a personal touch, right?

The Pillsbury quick breads are pretty good! I made one of those cranberry ones not long ago and added a little orange extract and orange zest. I just can't leave well enough alone either and have to add to it. :ermm: :LOL:...

My personal favorite is the cranberry bread. SO adds dried cranberries and walnuts. She usually makes muffins.

Cheryl, I used to bake those mixes all the time when Himself was working. I think I've found an add-in for almost every variety. I add golden raisins and walnuts to the pumpkin mix, walnuts or halved canned mandarin oranges to the cranberry one (use the juice from the can for part of the water you need for the mix), almonds in the blueberry one. Adding a personal touch, right?

Right! :LOL: I always have to doctor up boxed quick breads. Haven't tried the pumpkin yet, I bet it's very good. I would add raisins and nuts, too.

Andy, I like your SO's idea of adding more dried cranberries. Now I'm craving that - just added it to my list. :yum:

I had an absolute total fail with a new-to-me banana bread recipe. I normally do not have problems with baking a quick-bread in the toaster oven, either packaged mix or from-scratch. This one: did not rise; way too moist even after an extra 5 minutes in the oven; the last 10-12 minutes with the bread out of the pan, upside-down on a sheet pan. Did I throw it out? Heck no! Those eggs were in a 350 degree oven for over an hour, so I'm not worried about anything.

Tonight I enjoyed a slice broken up into a bowl, some vanilla ice cream on top. Mmm, almost like bread pudding. Tomorrow I'll fake-make French toast, but I won't do the egg-and-milk bath. Gonna fry the bread in a pan, smother with maple syrup, and (hopefully) enjoy.

Hey, when life hands you limes, make a margarita!
fiesta.gif

I had an absolute total fail with a new-to-me banana bread recipe. I normally do not have problems with baking a quick-bread in the toaster oven, either packaged mix or from-scratch. This one: did not rise; way too moist even after an extra 5 minutes in the oven; the last 10-12 minutes with the bread out of the pan, upside-down on a sheet pan. Did I throw it out? Heck no! Those eggs were in a 350 degree oven for over an hour, so I'm not worried about anything.

Tonight I enjoyed a slice broken up into a bowl, some vanilla ice cream on top. Mmm, almost like bread pudding. Tomorrow I'll fake-make French toast, but I won't do the egg-and-milk bath. Gonna fry the bread in a pan, smother with maple syrup, and (hopefully) enjoy.

fiesta.gif

Sounds like a delish save! I especially like the margarita idea ;)

fiesta.gif

Couple times I would pour half the mixture in the bread pan, then a small amount of smashed bananas to make a pudding in the center, then the rest of the mix.
Not for everyone....but...I liked it.

I was absolutely craving something for dessert. A little sweet, a lot of chocolate...and I didn't want to put a lot of effort into making something. Decided that today was when I would try making a cake in a cup. Actually, what I ended up making was a Brownie in a Mug, and did it hit the spot! :yum: It was a bit like cake, a bit like fudge, with a touch of pudding. A small scoop of vanilla ice cream, and perfection.

I was absolutely craving something for dessert. A little sweet, a lot of chocolate...and I didn't want to put a lot of effort into making something. Decided that today was when I would try making a cake in a cup. Actually, what I ended up making was a Brownie in a Mug, and did it hit the spot! :yum: It was a bit like cake, a bit like fudge, with a touch of pudding. A small scoop of vanilla ice cream, and perfection.

I need to try this using low carb flour and sugar substitute!

I really like the idea of it being a single serving, not so crazy about the fact it only takes a couple of minutes! I can picture myself in the glow of the microwave at midnight with my spoon in hand screaming Hurry!!!

What's the best treatment for a burnt tongue? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Here are a few more.

Best Low Carb Grain-Free Mug Cake Recipes | All Day I Dream About Food

Back
Top Bottom