What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Growing up, we had rhubarb everything. My grandma and great aunt would make astounding rhubarb cakes and pies, as well as some rhubarb stuff that involved sour cream.

Last edited:
Growing up, we had rhubarb everything. My grandma and great aunt would make astounding rhubarb cakes and pies, as well as some rhubarb stuff that involved sour cream.

Same at our house when we were kids. Everyday, in the spring, we had a dish of stewed rhubarb and on Sunday a pie or a crumble. It was the first fresh treat in the spring and it was practically free so everyone we knew used it in one form or another.

I saw this rhubarb ice cream the other day, I want to see if I can make a low carb version when the new crop appears in the market next spring.

Refreshing Rhubarb Ice Cream Recipe | Taste of Home

Last edited:
SO baked two carrot cake layers. We froze one and frosted the other with cream cheese frosting. Dessert for tonight is all set.

Same here, Dawg and Bea. I have such good memories of Grandma's rhubarb everything. :)

Earlier this week we watched a PBS program about "the best" pies in the U.S. It dang near killed us. The yumminess was almost too much to stand.

So, as a result of seeing all that tasty goodness, a raisin pie is about to come out of the oven.

Glenn and I both like raisin pie and it had been what seems like forever since we'd had any, which is why this was our choice. Can't wait to dig in.

It's apple season! Can't wait to get out to the apple orchard and pick up fresh, off the tree, apples. I could just stand in the middle of the barn and smell the apples and be happy. There is nothing like it to put a big smile on my face. The sweet, apple scent, is divine!

I love making apple strudel. My grandmother use to make the dough and stretch it paper thin on her kitchen table. Never a rip or tear. She was a master baker and it was such a treat to watch grandma bake. I learned so much from her, but never mastered stretching that dough. So, now I buy it already made (puffed pastry dough). It's pretty good, but not even close to grandma's. Those are days to remember!

FF, I love apple strudel but I've never tried to make it.

Have you ever tried using filo dough for the strudel in place of puff pastry?

Yes, I have and it's more difficult to work with because you have to keep it from drying out. I kept it covered with the damp towel, but the puffed pastry is easier to use.

Puffed pastry comes out flaky and is more like what Grandma use to make from scratch.

Yes, I have and it's more difficult to work with because you have to keep it from drying out. I kept it covered with the damp towel, but the puffed pastry is easier to use.

Puffed pastry comes out flaky and is more like what Grandma use to make from scratch.

OK, thanks. Filo is definitely harder to work with.

Onion bagels!

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1444674260.959131.jpg

A chocolate pudding pie. I was beginning to think my arm would fall off from stirring. I was thinking the dang stuff would never come to a boil. And now I have to make another one. This one is for my daughter and I know when Spike sees it, he will want one also. Fortunately I had two Oreo cookie crusts on hand. I used the Hershey's Dark Cocoa and it is so chocolaty. :angel:

I am doing a fruit crisp for our Thanksgiving dinner and instead of buns and cranberry sauce, I have made cranberry apricot muffins! They are in the oven now and as soon as they are out my turkey breast roast and veggies will go in!

EDIT: the crisp and muffins are gluten free! We aren't having stuffing either as I didn't have enough stale gf bread!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom