What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, LP. The color of the photo isn't really right. For some reason the color of the top row is the only right one.

Thanks you guys. I made a dozen for my daughter for her birthday with free refills for a year. So if I'm not making them for me, I'm making them for her.

Question. I made a chocolate cream pie with whipped cream. I was debating about using unflavored gelatin to stabilize it. But I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do. I know I heard of it somewhere, but when I Googled it, I couldn't find anything about it. So is it done to stabilize whipped cream or egg whites? :angel:

Question. I made a chocolate cream pie with whipped cream. I was debating about using unflavored gelatin to stabilize it. But I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do. I know I heard of it somewhere, but when I Googled it, I couldn't find anything about it. So is it done to stabilize whipped cream or egg whites? :angel:

Addie, we've used just powdered sugar and cocoa with heavy cream to make a frosting and the resulting whipped cream holds well.

Stabilizing with gelatin also works great. I do that for some recipes.

Addie, we've used just powdered sugar and cocoa with heavy cream to make a frosting and the resulting whipped cream holds well.

Stabilizing with gelatin also works great. I do that for some recipes.

Thanks Andy. I was making it at night and giving it the next day. That is why I wanted to stabilize it. :angel:

I made some peanut butter cookies today. They taste so good warm right out of the oven. We also had them for a dessert after supper tonight.

Creme brulees with bittersweet chocolate shavings on bottom.

I now have 5 egg whites with nothing to do. Looks like it'd some kind of pie choice after the brulees are gone.

Last edited:
Yes, freeze. Or meringue. And I would be happy to take some of the creme brulee off of your hands, just in case your don't have room in the freezer. :yum:

Last edited:
Yes, freeze. Or meringue. And I would be happy to take some of the creme brulee off of your hands, just in case your don't have room in the freezer. :yum:

Well, I made 6 and 3 are gone already, someone decided to have 2 tonight. They are very, very good, but I only had 1. We haven't had any of these in a LONG time. So, don't think I'll have long until I need to use up the egg whites. Either a French silk pie with a meringue crust or a chocolate meringue pie is in our future.

Little late chiming in on this but there is such a thing. Don't know why it didn't come up on your Google search. I just put in "whipped cream stabilizer." I actually have some of the Dr. Oetker Whip-It that I bought a while back but haven't used yet so I can't comment as to efficacy. There are several types though.

Addie,
You're right about using gelatine to stabilize whipped cream. It's a trick I first learned in one of Maida Heatter's books.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp of gelatine in 2 Tbsp of water. Use the microwave to dissolve. Cool it to room temp.

That's the amount to use in 1 cup of whipping cream. Just whip it in with the sugar & vanilla & cream. It works! I do it all the time.

http://www.discusscooking.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last night I made a gluten free zucchini raisin loaf. We have actually eaten half of it already. TB told me I have to make these more often...as he grabbed another slice! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom