What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a recipe of apple squares in a 10" cast iron skillet for a BBQ dinner with friends tomorrow evening. This is one of my favorite recipes. Great apple/cinnamon/walnut flavor without that annoying oatmeal topping you get on crisps.

Yesterday I made a pan of corn bread for Pirate. Sorry, let me amend that. I started to make a pan of corn bread for Pirate. I got interrupted by my physical therapist. I knew she would only be here for a few minutes. And I knew exactly where I stopped. I had to add the sugar along with the liquid ingredients. I had already added the salt.

Pirate was impatient and wanted to finish it. I gave him a glaring look and went back to my PT worker. So he took it upon himself to finish. No sugar and he added a tablespoon of salt. And he didn't grease the pan. May I add DISASTER! He quietly asked me if I would make it again for him. NOPE! Next time don't stick your nose in where it doesn't belong. Today I will make it for him. I just wanted him to wait and learn. :angel:

Our granddaughter, Rachel, and Karen made this today.
36788-albums318-picture6250.jpg

Our friend's adopted baby turns 1 on saturday. Tonight I'm baking him a smash cake for a professional photo shoot that she'll be doing with him Friday. It's going to be a plain white iced cake with vibrant layers of red, blue, green and yellow inside. It should look cool in pictures!

Our friend's adopted baby turns 1 on saturday. Tonight I'm baking him a smash cake for a professional photo shoot that she'll be doing with him Friday. It's going to be a plain white iced cake with vibrant layers of red, blue, green and yellow inside. It should look cool in pictures!

Please share any pics with us. :angel:

Today I baked an Ann Page Spanish Bar. It came out exactly like the original A & P cake they used to sell for 39 cents, back in the fifties.

I went shopping with my daughter yesterday. Her husband is not doing very well. It has been ten years since he had the cancer. But the chemo was so strong, it all but killed him. She asked me about letting him borrow my wheelchair. He is still in remission, but he is losing ground fast. His joints are crumbling and he can barely walk.

So this weekend I am going to make a three layer Hershey's chocolate cake. My daughter just retired and they have always planned on having a good retirement for both of them. Doesn't look like it is going to happen. My daughter said that he is losing ground not only physically, but emotionally as well. :angel:

I made the cake last night and let it cool down. I made up the frosting last night also. Well, this morning, I uncover the cake and got the knife to even off the top. I stopped! I don't want my cake to look like it came from a bakery. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be. I want them to know I took the time to make my SIL's favorite cake because I care about him. He has given my daughter one heck of a good life. And for that I am forever grateful. He has given her the American Dream. And if just making a chocolate cake in my kitchen makes him happy, then I am more than glad to do it.

It is not the prettiest cake in the world. But it sure looks inviting. That is okay with me. And I am sure it will be the same for my daughter and her husband. So the dome stays. And no, I don't want the cloths that you wrap around the pan either that help keep the dome off when baking. I want the cake to look tempting and delicious. And it does. :angel:

I haven't had a whoopee pie since my school days. My mother would put one in my lunch every so often. :angel:

I actually do not care for them. I made myself a chocolate eclair dessert for myself yesterday and that was all I needed.

Made Cook's illustrated's blueberry pie today. The texture was spot on, juicy but not at all runny. I'm hoping that the pronounced lemon flavor mellows a bit in the fridge overnight, it was a bit much. If I make it again I'll just use the juice and not the zest of the lemon.

The tapioca and the apple together made a perfect filling, exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the flavor, for me was off a bit. Maybe I'm more used to the Maine style that is a bit more plain where you just taste the blueberries.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/4325-blueberry-pie

Made Cook's illustrated's blueberry pie today. The texture was spot on, juicy but not at all runny. I'm hoping that the pronounced lemon flavor mellows a bit in the fridge overnight, it was a bit much. If I make it again I'll just use the juice and not the zest of the lemon.

The tapioca and the apple together made a perfect filling, exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the flavor, for me was off a bit. Maybe I'm more used to the Maine style that is a bit more plain where you just taste the blueberries.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/4325-blueberry-pie

Thanks for sharing, bakechef. After my blueberry pie fiasco earlier this summer, I'll give this a try. The tapioca and apple should take care of the filling and the vodka will help with my crust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom