What are you baking today? | 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
We're still Christmasing here. One of Glenn's daughters couldn't get here for the "real" holiday because Santa or someone else brought the whole family the flu, complete with the entire menu of symptoms. Oh, joy!

At any rate, one of their gifts was to be a tray of homemade baklava. I hadn't planned on making it until just before they arrived last week and, as it turned out, I'm glad I planned it that way.

So, I made it a little while ago because she's supposed to be here later today or tomorrow. Unfortunately her husband won't be able to come because he will be on travel. Hope she saves him a few bites.

Now, all I have to do is to wait for their tray to cool so I wan wrap it up in sparkly tulle and holiday ribbons.

Apple pie. When we were back home I bought my first container of lard from Amish country. I made a pumpkin pie while there since it's our kids' favorite. The crust was to die for! :yum: I don't know if I worked the dough too much today, or Ohio lard doesn't work in MA, but the crust was a bit tough. Still good though.

Attachments

• 2015-01-08 21.14.03.jpg
    2015-01-08 21.14.03.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 284
The young lads are coming out to play in the kitchen today. On today's list is wholewheat pie crust (which they will make into a beet and goat cheese tart), pita bread, and hummus. Once again, they will use baker's percentages to make the pie crust and the pita bread. I dropped by yesterday afternoon--they were so excited. The younger one has been fretting that we'd have a snowstorm today and have to postpone. The weather is clear--looks like a great day to play in the kitchen.

The young lads are coming out to play in the kitchen today. On today's list is wholewheat pie crust (which they will make into a beet and goat cheese tart), pita bread, and hummus. Once again, they will use baker's percentages to make the pie crust and the pita bread. I dropped by yesterday afternoon--they were so excited. The younger one has been fretting that we'd have a snowstorm today and have to postpone. The weather is clear--looks like a great day to play in the kitchen.
Here's a picture of the finished tart. The boys took the crust home, blind baked it, and finished it. They have already decided ricotta cheese and cinnamon raisin bagels are the two things they want to do next time. They also asked if we could do this every other week instead of once-a-month.

This is a link to the inspiration for the filling:

Recipe Details

Attachments

• nanuk_beet_tart.jpg
    nanuk_beet_tart.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 276
Made a half batch of lemon bars (thanks Alix) for SIL. He has been craving a lemon dessert.

Have a loaf of rosemary-olive oil bread just about ready to go into the oven. First time making this but I have confidence it's going to be very good.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that I also made about 4 dozen almond cake pops. Glenn's been wanting to reduce his dessert intake, so I thought cake pops would be a good start. Something desserty, but not a big full-blown one.

Last edited:
I made a rustic blackberry pie Monday. Those berries were so good I barely needed any sugar - a plus!

Attachments

• 2015-01-19 19.03.17.jpg
    2015-01-19 19.03.17.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 257
I forgot to post a picture of the cinnamon-raisin bagels the young lads made last week. Next week, we are making Pooris.

Attachments

• bagels.jpg
    bagels.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 312
my word myrt, this took over a half day to make. Thought I better take a photo cause this may be the last one I ever make. It is a little rough around the edges but I don't think he or I will mind. I had forgotten how decadent the icing is:yum:. At 640 Kcal a slice, I will be giving some away:). The recipe actually warns to have a light meal to fully enjoy this "special occasion" ( I get what that means now) treat.

Oh, it's a German Chocolate cake

Attachments

• DSCN3025.jpg
    DSCN3025.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 208
No baking today. I need some self-raising flour and I keep forgetting to buy it when I go out. Perhaps my mind is trying to tell me something!

No baking today. I need some self-raising flour...
You might be able to whip it up yourself with ingredients on hand. This link to the King Arthur Flour website has good information and hints: Homemade self-rising flour tips: King Arthur Flour Maybe something there applies to a fix you can make without leaving home. Then again, if you are completely out of any kind of flour, this ain't gonna help. ;)

Pineapple oatmeal muffins. They are in the oven right now:

Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
  • ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs baking powder
  • 8oz crushed pineapple, with juice
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp Amoretti Madagascar-Bourbon (2 fold) Vanilla Extract
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F.Line 2 six-cup muffin pans with baking cups. ( I am using one huge 6 cup pan)

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter and brown sugar until pale yellow andfluffy. Add the pineapple, buttermilk, egg and vanilla and continueto beat until well blended. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour,baking powder and oatmeal together. Slowly add the dry ingredientsinto the wet ingredients and continue to beat at medium speed until combined.

Divide batter evenly amongst the baking cups and bake in a 350F oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes, then move them to cooling racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Oops, there's the timer. Gotta go!

Last edited:
Just a point of information for everyone: This is the "baking" thread for 2015.

Kind of a mixed baking bag here today. After making, and giving away, a loaf of rosemary-olive oil bread yesterday, I have another one in the works this morning. When it's done, I'll bake Valentine cut-out cookies from the dough that's been chilling. Gotta have Valentine's Day sweets for my "sweet.":wub::wub:

Wanted to make some bacon-and-egg bread for tomorrow's breakfast but, then, realized that I'd planned heart-shaped pancakes for that meal, so the bread will have to wait for another day.

Roasted beet, dark chocolate flourless cake. Ground almonds replace the flour. It's in the oven now. We licked the bowl and the batter tasted pretty good.

I don't think I would call it "baking" so much as "reheating!"
This morning while visiting a friend and his wife I traded them a bottle of very good imported Italian extra virgin olive oil for a loaf of Sour Dough Bread from Boudin Bakery in San Fransisco, home of the original and official S.F. Sour Dough. Even though we're in Arkansas, she pulled a loaf from her freezer. I cuddled it as though I were nurturing a baby and we did a swap reminiscent of a prisoner exchange during the Cold War.
Oven warmed, crunchy crusted bread, sliced and served with a side of sliced Tillamook extra sharp cheddar cheese and nothing else to go with it, not even butter, has been heavenly!!! (sigh!)
As a highschool teenager my girlfriend and love of my life wandered the fisherman's wharf area nibbling on a wheel of Boudin's sour dough and a paper sack of freshly caught and steamed prawns. Sharing a bite of bread and a bite of naturally seasoned prawn with my love, was a moment in my history that still lives on as the most memorable in my life!
I have shrimp in my freezer and plans for them to be served with the second half of this loaf. I only wish I had a love to share them with.

Back
Top Bottom