"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
Master Chef

Thank you GG, for your very informative post! Actually, I have thought about getting a bread machine, and after reading more and more about how fun and easy it is, I'll be looking into it. I have a lot of time on my hands and learning to make bread would be a fun and productive way to spend some of it.
Off to browse Amazon...

Old 01-16-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Yay, Cheryl! Let us know what you come up with

Old 01-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you GG, for your very informative post! Actually, I have thought about getting a bread machine, and after reading more and more about how fun and easy it is, I'll be looking into it. I have a lot of time on my hands and learning to make bread would be a fun and productive way to spend some of it.
Off to browse Amazon...
When you are young and not tied down to a houseful of children, making bread by hand is very relaxing. As I would stand there kneading the dough, I would let my mind just wander. Now that I am older, these arthritic hands simply will not allow me to do anymore kneading. And the family has spread out on their own. Living alone I no longer make bread by hand. It would be more wasteful than a financial benefit. It would still hold the mental benefits for me though. But believe me if there was any money saving advantage for me to making bread, I would beat you to buying a bread machine. Pirate loves artisan bread. A nice hard crust, and do not slice the loaf. But unfortunately for him it is presently not part of his diet. If he can lose 50 lbs., then he can take up eating bread again and I might just consider buying a machine. Nothing like the smell of bread baking.

Go for it girl!
Old 01-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

This is what I baked yesterday: I made lard from some beautiful pork fat I bought at the hog-butchering demo I attended Wednesday. Then I made jalapeņo corn muffins with lard instead of butter. Yummy!

I'll make some more lard today. I'm planning to make tamales next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-15 13.46.24.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	24169   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-15 16.21.59.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	24170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-15 20.06.01.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	24171  
Old 01-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yum, GG!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yum the second, GG!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I am doing pull apart orange rolls. This is a recioe I have tried off and on for 30 yesrs. My grandma used to buy these rolls at the local bakery. It is the glaze that has been a struggle. This tine I am doing simple syrup made with fresh orange juice, zest, orange extract and sugar. We'll see.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am doing pull apart orange rolls. This is a recioe I have tried off and on for 30 yesrs. My grandma used to buy these rolls at the local bakery. It is the glaze that has been a struggle. This tine I am doing simple syrup made with fresh orange juice, zest, orange extract and sugar. We'll see.
When I make a glaze for such as cinnamon rolls, I just use 10X sugar and flavor it with orange juice or any other flavored liquid. Let it sit for a while and then drizzle. I know, it is more like a frosting than a true glaze. But if I make it thick enough and let it dry, it works out for me.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The glaze is not a frosting...more like a simple. Syrup. I am letting the dough ferment. I will bake them off tonight and see if they are as I remember.....
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #20
Master Chef

Forgot to mention Sunday that I baked a triple chocolate cake . So easy Himself could do it - but he never bothers! It's basically a dump cake, putting all the ingredients into the baking pan and mixing them up in there . So good, it's hard to believe it's that easy.

Tags
baking