What are you Baking Today?|2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on making individual mini chicken pot pies and TJ's pumpkin rolls.

img_1483170_0_cd826e179358fdcaa08b468320a596d8.jpg

A small wedding cake.
img_1483170_1_2b3a1b798e95459f72ab8b39a64bc6e8.jpg

It is apple mousse with candied apple cream ( the brown stuff), vanilla sponge and oatmeal crumble on the edge.

Didn't really bake today, but I made puff pastry from scratch, and I mean scratch, following the recipe in my mom's 1953 Better Homes and Garden cookbook--page 200. I usually use a FP but I lent my parents' FP to a caregiver, so I had to make the puff pastry really from hand. I cut vents in the pastry and coated it with egg wash when I topped the chicken pot pie filling.. The filling was hot, so I just tossed those in the oven on a cookie sheet at 425 for about 10 minutes until the puff pastry was golden.

Last edited:
I am ashamed to say that I bought bread today!!! Very good bread, though, from the deli.

Didn't get round to baking this weekend as I had a very idle couple of pyjama days.

I have baked a loaf of bread, just plain white one. 3 sticky chocolate cakes, 2 with Swedish vanilla essence and it tasted weird and the cake became jellied and 1 with the old vanilla and rum and that became perfect. Also 3 dozen chocolate chip and cherry chocolate cookies and that I think was it.

Yesterday I made Julia Child's famous Mousse Au Chocolat. Today, I made a cookie pie crust (from scratch), so I can have Mousse Pie. I hope it works, that mousse was a pain to make (but I loved it every step of the way)!

Yesterday I made Julia Child's famous Mousse Au Chocolat. Today, I made a cookie pie crust (from scratch), so I can have Mousse Pie. I hope it works, that mousse was a pain to make (but I loved it every step of the way)!

Not to mention hunting, cleaning and hauling that Mousse.

images

Baked a loaf of French bread today and had a *duh* moment. I was thinking of three things at the same time (not good) while I was adding all my ingredients into the bread machine tub, got it snapped into the machine, turned it on, reached over for the cup with those two ounces of "in cast you need more" water...and realized I dumped it all in. :ermm: Said to Himself "I'm going to have some very loose dough over here!" Sure enough, rather fluid. Well, that's what a bread pan is for. I did knead more flour into the dough before I plopped it into the pan and let it get on with its second rise. I also managed to take it out of the oven before it was dry enough throughout. :wacko: It's not wet or doughy in the middle, just a bit moist. We figure it will make really great toast. ;)

Guess I'll bake another loaf tomorrow. I need bread for sandwiches "for the road". Thank goodness for bread machines.

I made a small apple pandowdy using 2 honeycrisp apples last night to go with what is left of our homemade cinnamon ice cream. We ate half of it last night and half of the ice cream. Guess what's for dessert tonight?

"Gunpowder, treason and Plot"

"Bonfire night" on November 5th. Loosely commemorates the failure of Guy Fawkes and others to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 (you see - Hitler wasn't the first:)) Bonfires, with an effigy of Guy Fawkes and fireworks all round and goodies to eat including a yummy ginger, treacle and oatmeal cake called Parkin (originally a northern English cake, I think).

I'm a bit late in making my parkin - it really needs a fortnight to really mature and get nice and sticky. However, I will be looking out Mother's recipe and baking it this afternoon.

Treacle toffee, aka Bonfire toffee, is another speciality for Bonfire Night but I don't make it - I value my teeth and their fillings too much. "Bonfire toffee is a hard, brittle toffee associated with Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night in the United Kingdom. The toffee tastes very strongly of molasses, and cheap versions can be quite bitter." Actually, it isn't associated with Hallowe'en over here. Until recently, hallowe'en wasn't much bothered with over here but now the stores and the food magazines have got on the bandwagon and it's taken off a bit

Last edited:
I have Nordic Cheese Bread in the proofing bowl.

https://www.cooked.com/uk/Trine-Hah...eads-and-savouries/Nordic-cheese-bread-recipe

It was one of four recipes in October's Viking magazine. I wanted to try the Rye Rolls, but don't have the barley malt syrup or rye flour.

The cheese bread is easy to make...the dough is a fairly stiff dough. Time will tell if I nailed it or not. Hopefully, it will turn out better than today's sewing project...I HATE my Mom's sewing machine. I want my Viking (Husqvarna!!!). It weren't so expensive, I would have been tempted to have it shipped down overnight express (although, that is really up, because Ottawa is south of Northern MN so I travel north to get to MN...).

I made a small apple pandowdy using 2 honeycrisp apples last night to go with what is left of our homemade cinnamon ice cream. We ate half of it last night and half of the ice cream. Guess what's for dessert tonight?

That used to be one of my favourite desserts...before I had to cut gluten and refined sugar out of my diet. I grew up on it. MMMM cinnamon ice cream is the perfect side!

I am going to have to find out a way to make it work! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom