What are you Baking Today?|2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I did. I'm not concerned about the trademark kaiser roll shape. Next batch I'll shape them differently to be lower and wider.

That's how mine turned out. Flatter with a wide circumference. Fit a nice big burger and made a nice cold cut sandwich.

Wonderful looking baked goods, Suthseaxa, MsM, and Andy! :yum:

Thank you Cheryl. I usually have chips, homemade salads, salsa and dips along with cold cuts, Italian bread and homemade rolls for New Years eve and day. New Years Eve I make an Italian hero out of an Italian loaf and New Years day is sandwiches on rolls plus the other salads, dips etc.

1591-albums1062-picture6744.jpg
Nice buns, Andy. ;) :LOL: Your rolls look good, too, msm.

Suthseaxa, that is a yummy looking loaf of bread. It also sounds unusual - I'm used to cranberries and nuts being used in a sweeter kind of bread. Not a sweet bread, just not a sourdough.

I am making a GF pumpkin cake. I made it a couple of weeks ago and it was great. It is sweetened with Maple Syrup and I ran out or I would have made it again sooner.

I think I am going to put it in a square pan this time and cut it into squares which are easier to pack in TB's lunch bag than the wedges (smaller bag).

I am also hoping it is out of the oven soon because TB wants a piece warm before he goes to bed. :LOL:

Tomorrow it will be GF raspberry muffins and regular flour shortbread cut into Sweater shapes that will be decorated "ugly". I normally do sugar cookies for the but they are for three families living in our building who don't eat eggs. Last year when I tried it the cookies changed shape in the oven so this time I am going to refrigerate them first and if they are a little out of shape I will cut them immediately after coming out of the oven. That should work.

My local supermarket used to sell cranberry and pumpkin seed bread, then they started changing it to raisins and ruined it. I had a go with baker's yeast and then decided to try sourdough. It's lovely and complex in flavour :)

I have the dough for ATK's Gingerbread cookies chilling. My Dad wanted me to make the Gingerbread sticks that were in December's Viking magazine. The instructions are for how to decorate them, "use your favorite Gingerbread cookie recipe." If I remember, I'll grab his camera and take some pics to post.

Here's my first attempt. I didn't press out the raw dough enough so I ended up with smaller and taller buns. I guess I'll have to shape my burgers differently for a while.

1591-albums1062-picture6744.jpg

I love King Arthur's burger bun recipe, if you haven't tried it, you should sometime. I do the knotted kaiser shape.

I love King Arthur's burger bun recipe, if you haven't tried it, you should sometime. I do the knotted kaiser shape.

Bakechef, my goal was to make buns bigger than the standard hamburger bun as I make pretty big burgers for myself. I could have just used the hamburger bun recipe and made fewer, bigger buns but saw the kaiser roll recipe and decided to try that.

I had one of these with butter along with a bowl of soup and it was pretty tasty.

Stopped by to have coffee with a neighbour the other day. She was going to toss 6 bananas. I am making Beaver Club Banana Bread. http://printarchive.epochtimes.com/a1/en/us/was/2011/01-Jan/13/A8_EET20110113-DCUS.pdf

The recipe I have was given to me by the Chef at the Beaver Club. My version uses 6 really ripe bananas, 4 c sugar, 4 c flour, 1 T vanilla, 1/2 c oil, 4 eggs, 1 c buttermilk, 1/4 tsp salt. The Chef wrote on the recipe slipped under my door at the hotel that the secret was to take a brown paper bag cut to fit the bread pan, smear each side with butter (messy, but it works). And yes, you do have to let it bake at 275 for 2-1/2 hours. It is moist, gooey, and being that I don't like bananas, the only way I eat bananas. I have a call in to the neighbour to come up and get a loaf since it makes 2. It freezes well.

Last edited:
Bakechef, my goal was to make buns bigger than the standard hamburger bun as I make pretty big burgers for myself. I could have just used the hamburger bun recipe and made fewer, bigger buns but saw the kaiser roll recipe and decided to try that.

I had one of these with butter along with a bowl of soup and it was pretty tasty.

Yeah, that's not a large recipe. Here are mine with the knotted "kaiser" treatment.
10308874_10152194913845838_7349202138554562613_n.jpg

Nicely-done!

Today, I baked khobz to go with my tagine. However, the whole reason I fed up my starter was to bake an 80% hydration bread. It's proving in the fridge. First time with that hydration. Wish me luck tomorrow morning!

Today knocked off Spritz (Almond) and Chocolate-orange Spritz. Baked a batch of Alice cookies and then decided I had enough energy left to bake a batch of Pfeffernuesse since I had the fruit soaking in rum since last week. New hiding place--the window well of my egress window (since my bedroom at my folks' is in the walkout basement). Dad won't find them there--he never goes in my room. I got Mom involved--she sprinkled the red and green sugars on the white Spritz cookies and Alice cookies. It was fun to have my Mom engaged and in the kitchen baking traditional family Christmas cookies (although, I did have to remind her not to eat the dough--we wanted to bake them first! She always has had a thing for cookie dough). Today was a good day. It is tough having a parent with dementia--you never know if the day will be a so-so day, a bad day, a really rough day, or a good today. Today was good. She's napping now, this evening may not be so hot, but I can deal with that after the fun we had in the kitchen this afternoon. She was laughing and telling me stories about baking with my Grandma.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not a large recipe. Here are mine with the knotted "kaiser" treatment.
10308874_10152194913845838_7349202138554562613_n.jpg
Question for you, do you bake them upside down (folded side down) and then flip them 1/2 through? I always mist mine with a water to which I have added baking soda when I flip them if I am making pretzel Kaiser rolls. Just curious how you do it? I hand fold mine, no Kaiser stamp here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom