What are you Baking Today?|2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I baked chocolate chip, peanut butter (thanks for the meat mallet tip Katie it worked great and love the waffle design!), and chocolate macadamia white chocolate chip cookies.

The recipe I have was given to me by the Chef at the Beaver Club. My version uses 6 really ripe bananas, 4 c sugar, 4 c flour, 1 T vanilla, 1/2 c oil, 4 eggs, 1 c buttermilk, 1/4 tsp salt. The Chef wrote on the recipe slipped under my door at the hotel that the secret was to take a brown paper bag cut to fit the bread pan, smear each side with butter (messy, but it works). And yes, you do have to let it bake at 275 for 2-1/2 hours. It is moist, gooey, and being that I don't like bananas, the only way I eat bananas. I have a call in to the neighbour to come up and get a loaf since it makes 2. It freezes well.

That's fascinating. I'm looking for a good banana bread recipe.
Is that so it will unmold correctly? Or does it magically make the bread goo-ier?

The recipe I have was given to me by the Chef at the Beaver Club. ... The Chef wrote on the recipe slipped under my door at the hotel that the secret was ...

Are you talking about the Beaver Club in Montreal? If yes, that is just too funny... obviously Montreal Chefs have a hard time keeping their secrets. My sister has a recipe for French Onion Soup from the Chef at the Queen Elizabeth, many many years ago!

From all the posts about Kaiser Rolls, I have to believe that the Restaurateur in Hamburg was mistaken in telling me the type of roll I was eating. Perhaps he was just stringing me along and keeping a young person happy. (Late 50's)

The rolls I am talking about were crusty on the outside and soft as pillows inside. They had a slash along the side, probably made with a bread lame as with a baguette. Much to the chagrin of my father, I would break them open, pull out the insides with my fingers, devour, then slather butter on the crusty parts and leisurely devour that with my meal. :yum:

@Andy. Those perfectly spherical buns are beauties. I'd say get a patent on them quickly.

Moi? Started the Christmas cookies - thumbprints with home made strawberry jam. Rolled some of them in green sugar, too. I don't know if you are supposed to do that, but they look good. :LOL:

That's fascinating. I'm looking for a good banana bread recipe.
Is that so it will unmold correctly? Or does it magically make the bread goo-ier?
The amount of sugar in the recipe makes it quite gooey. The heavy paper helps so it doesn't burn because of the long cooking time. It is quite dark when it comes out, and the paper does make it easier to unmold from the pan. Give it a try. I have never cut the recipe in half--the Chef scaled it down considerably for me, so I have been afraid to cut it in half.

Are you talking about the Beaver Club in Montreal? If yes, that is just too funny... obviously Montreal Chefs have a hard time keeping their secrets. My sister has a recipe for French Onion Soup from the Chef at the Queen Elizabeth, many many years ago!
I didn't get the French Onion Soup recipe--but it was good! I have the Chocolate Mousse recipe as well. I'll trade your sister the French Onion Soup recipe for the Chocolate Mousse recipe! And yes, it was/is in the Queen Elizabeth. When I worked as a Tour Manager, I was there every 8 days for 12 weeks.

A quick search--the Beaver Club is no more. I can't find the French Onion soup recipe on line. I know it used beer...

Last edited:
My dough for the cream cheese thumb print cookies is in the fridge waiting to be baked tomorrow.

...Baked a batch of Alice cookies...
What are "Alice cookies", CW? I did a Google search, but nothing looked like a recipe.

...Today was a good day. It is tough having a parent with dementia--you never know if the day will be a so-so day, a bad day, a really rough day, or a good today. Today was good...
I'm happy for you that you had a good day. :flowers: My Mom was stricken with short-term memory loss following surgery complications. It took her about six months to remember that she had memory problems. I can't imagine how tough it is to deal with someone with your Mom's level of dementia. I hope you have many more days like today.

What are "Alice cookies", CW? I did a Google search, but nothing looked like a recipe.

I'm happy for you that you had a good day. :flowers: My Mom was stricken with short-term memory loss following surgery complications. It took her about six months to remember that she had memory problems. I can't imagine how tough it is to deal with someone with your Mom's level of dementia. I hope you have many more days like today.
Alice Cookies are a sugar cookie. The recipe has been in the family for forever--none of us know who Alice was. My Dad thinks she might have been one of his grandma's servants, but he is not sure. He remembers eating the cookies as a child...

I have the dough made for cake doughnuts. But first I have to use up some croissants I received as a gift. Twenty five of them! Fortunately, they arrived frozen. But I need the freezer room. I also have orders to make PB cookies again since the last batch disappeared. I will make the dough for them, but it is going into the freezer until the morning of the 24th.

Made one batch of krumkake this morning with a friend. She wanted to learn how to make it, so make it we did. We split the batch. A neighbor dropped by with some cookies, so I traded a plate of krumkake for some salted nut roll cookies.

Enough kitchen dancing for today. I knew I overdid it yesterday. My cold is biting me in the butt today, so with supper in the crockpot, Mom napping, Dad in town--time for a much needed nap. I have 10 different kinds of cookies made. Still have three more to go (rosettes, sandbakelse/Sandkaker, and some rolled sugar cookies to decorate). Might make some hard anise candy, too.

Last edited:
A large cast iron skillet of corn bread. Tomorrow my new next door neighbors are moving in and we are fixing chili and corn bread for the slepping crew.

I made one batch of krumkake this a.m. and have a 2nd bowl of cookie dough chilling in the frig and will bake those up after lunch time. Lunch, my eye, taste tested quite a few cookies for quality control purposes already.

I finally dipped the ATK Gingerbread sticks. I used dark and white chocolate, coconut, a variety of different chopped nuts, crushed candy canes, and chocolate "sprinkles." I decided if I ever make these again, I will definitely not make them any longer than 6". The 8" ones (of which I only had a few, they were test cookies) would break if I put the nuts or crushed candy canes on--I guess they got top heavy. Once I do the cookie tray with all the different cookies on it, I will get a picture. My favs are the ones I call Jackson Pollock's--either white or dark chocolate base with the other chocolate "thrown" at the base.

Not sure if I will bake anything today--I'm doing a catch up on stuff--finished the Gingerbread cookies, made the sandbakelse dough (chilling in the fridge overnight), dug out the rosette irons and fryer, cleaned the fridge to make room for stuff next week, planned the menus. I might make cream puffs...those will be filled with shrimp salad for appetizers on Christmas Eve and Day. (Shrimp salad, chicken salad, artichoke tapenade, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom