What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Souffle

I'm going to try my hand at a Chive Cheddar souffle today. It's my birthday and I treated myself to a whole Dungeness crab from the farmer's market yesterday. Gonna have that, the souffle and a Caprese salad made with the fresh basil also from the market. My roommate, who doesn't cook, said "You don't want to have to cook on your birthday, do you?". Of course I told her that I love to cook and will be pleased as punch if my souffle turns out. :chef:People who don't cook just don't get what a pleasure it is, do they??

Yesterday - polka dot cheesecake bars. Today - the first tiers of a wedding cake, more cheesecake bars and some meringue kisses.

baked apple pie! tender flaky crust. yum..... Chef ordered a 5 gallon bucket of vanilla ice cream for us, too! :)

>>>>>and i don't like pie!!!!!

you shoulda seen jake when i mentioned we didn't have vanilla icee cream. my poor guy! :)

This morning I made tahini flat bread on the griddle pan. We had it for breakfast/ lunch and it was yummy!!

today I experimented with my white bread recipe which always comes out great. I made a sour starter about six days ago and used it in the process. The starter was just a cup of flour, a cup of warm water and 1/4 tsp of yeast. I mixed it up in a quart pyrex measure and let it sit uncovered on the counter, just stirring it everyday. Came out beautiful; mild but distinct sourdough flavor, light texture and a tender crust, which was what I was looking for. I was tired of the heavy textured, thick crusted "artisian" style and didn't want the fairly heavy, chewy restaurant style either. I'll try it a few more times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and then if anyone is interested I'll put up the recipe.

I am making no kned bread today. I prepared the dough yesterday and it will be ready to bake later this morning.

There will be some sort of bread made here tomorrow, haven't decided what just yet. I started a poolish tonight, will figure out what to make from it when I get up. The simple practical route would be a sandwich loaf, but focaccia is always tempting.

Sunday and Monday I took off from baking. I needed a rest. Tuesday I am back at it. The target - to get at least half of the next cake baked - 2 x 2" layers each of 6, 9, 12 and 15 inch rounds in a luscious lemon cake from the very talented Warren Brown.

I would also love to get a batch of monogrammed shortbread done. It wasn't on this menu but was such a hit at the last one that I thought I would throw it in as a bonus!

Oh, and I will give Goodweed's cheesecake a try as time permits!

I'm going to be baking lots of bread today for VBS next week(we're doing a variation of Marketplace 29AD)..I have three different kinds of dough made up and ready to go..Olive Oil, Basic Boule, and European Peasant..all from Artisan Bread in Five Mintues a Day by Jeff Hertzberg. Chef Munky wisely suggested I try the Pain d'Epi, so I'll give that a whirl first. Looks cool..hope I don't muck it up:chef:

I'm going to be baking lots of bread today for VBS next week(we're doing a variation of Marketplace 29AD)..I have three different kinds of dough made up and ready to go..Olive Oil, Basic Boule, and European Peasant..all from Artisan Bread in Five Mintues a Day by Jeff Hertzberg. Chef Munky wisely suggested I try the Pain d'Epi, so I'll give that a whirl first. Looks cool..hope I don't muck it up:chef:

I am sure you will do great - pictures of all please when you are done! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom