What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cupcakes! 4 kinds. we're icing them tomorrrow. also prepared cheesecake batter & ganache. oh, cheesecake! yeah, baby!

I saw some low sugar cake mix at the store so I'm thinking about trying that today. we have lots of different fruits to go with it so maybe it will see much the same as usual cake. We'll See! I haven't heard from anyone on how it is.

we baked mini cheesecakes, & decorated yesterday's cupcakes. & each baked a chocolate spongecake.

I read somewhere that the internal temps on the crock pot I have Rival 6 qt,reaches approximately 200 degrees on high setting.I don't recall any of the recipes mentioning temp requirements.I could have missed it.Most just said cook @ high,so I did..

It was interesting,the loaf did rise,had a crispy side and bottom crust,the top was soft..Edible...Not a chance! LOL!! I'm faulting myself on that.I used artisan bread,not prepackaged,or home made bread dough.As some suggested.

I read several recipes/instructions,and worked with what I had.A 6qt Rival crock pot.Already prepared boule dough.
Most instructions call for the use of the newer oval shaped models.Older models like mine work to.It just wouldn't be the traditional looking loaf of bread.The loaf pans won't fit in mine.But they should in the oval's.

Here's what I did
preheat the crock,heat setting on high,put the lid on
Balled up several foil pieces,7 total,placed them inside the crock pot
Added 1/4 or so of water to a lid,and placed that inside the crock,dead center.
prepped a medium sized pyrex bowl,cooking spray,cornmeal
Weighed a ball of dough to 1 pound.shaped the loaf.Added that to the prepared bowl.
Set the bowl inside the crock,kept it up and off the bottom.I tried the foil sheet to cover the top to protect it from moisture getting in.That didn't work.the dough stuck to it.
Put the lid on,and cook,around 3 to 5 hours..It was 4 hours for me before the crust started to brown. The inside was very soft and moist,not dry at all.
Keep in mind most recipes call for the use of another bread type then the one I used.
It didn't work out for me.I'll take the wrap for that.Use that standard white bread dough.It's defiantly worth it to give it another try.It can be done.And it won't heat up your kitchen,like the oven would.It reminded me of using a bread machine,fresh baked,just not cooked in the oven,ahh the smell,well ya just can't beat that. :)
Just don't at anytime open that lid.The condensation from the water could drip on the bread and make it soggy.

Here's a few links, I'd be very interested in knowing how I could improve the results,with the dough I used.

Couldn't Be Easier Slow Cooker Bread Recipe : Recipezaar

How to Bake Yeast Bread in a Crockpot | eHow.com

Recipenet "The crock pot: an alternative bread machine"

Munky.

Wow! I've made bread, etc. in an electric skillet (covered), but a crockpot only goes up to 190F. Did it come out? How long did it take???
i have a crockpot that has a temp dial i can set to 350 for deep frying. it is a multi-purpose cooker from slow cooker to rice cooker to deep fryer.

wow who makes it and where can i buy it?:chef:
i got it years ago. it is all the way in the back of the top shelf of my closet as i am only 5' 2 1/2" (i am very sensitive about that 1/2") i will check out the name as soon as i can find a ladder. i haven't used it in awhile i have switched to frying in my deep SS pot lately.

i think the pot said eastern electric deep fryer/steamer (or something like that) on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom