What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was experimenting with an original recipe and had a big flop (nothing new). It was a papaya, pineapple and macadamia bread. Did two things wrong - should've let it cool in the pan (fell apart) and I used dried, diced papaya that I tried to reconstitute in boiling water. The next try will be with fresh Mango, pineapple and cashews, and a trinity of spices. How does that sound??? If it works, I'll publish it here.

I was experimenting with an original recipe and had a big flop (nothing new). It was a papaya, pineapple and macadamia bread. Did two things wrong - should've let it cool in the pan (fell apart) and I used dried, diced papaya that I tried to reconstitute in boiling water. The next try will be with fresh Mango, pineapple and cashews, and a trinity of spices. How does that sound??? If it works, I'll publish it here.

Dave, I have been playing with Mexico Karen's Peach Pound Cake (which she herself has only made with mangos :LOL:) and I found that if the fruit was too ripe the cake was gooey and if it was not ripe enough it was dry. So, this last time I used a just ripe juicy peach and a just on the edge almost ripe one. Then I added just a slash of fresh orange juice and it came out the best of my three previous versions.

Since mango is quite a soft juicy fruit, you might want to make sure your pineapple isn't too juicy or blot it a bit with a paper towel. However, the nuts will definitely help so you may not have to. You aren't using salted cashews are you? Finally, what is your trinity? Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice? The peach cake actually only has vanilla in it and no spices. It really brings out the flavour of the fruit.

Just my two cents and as we always do with each other, you can take it or leave it ;)

I will be really interested to find out how it turns out.

Well...yesterday I baked the cake for Ken's chocolate raspberry torte, but it totally sank in the middle and was unusable. So we ate it with blueberries and raspberries. Once I get some more sugar I'll give it another go today.

Laurie:

Your two cents is always worth a dollar to me. No, no salted nuts. I'll watch the moisture by judging the density of the batter; I can usually tell if it's too thin or too thick, but thanks for reminding me of that. My trinity, in this case, is fresh groung nutmeg, fresh ground allspice and ground ginger. Obviously, I'm a nut for fresh spices whenever possible. I didn't want to experiment with fresh ginger as I'm not sure just how far it goes, intensity wise. Perhaps you've had some experience with it??? I was going to bake it today, but I forgot to get eggs and I'm darned if I'm going out again... Tomorrow is soon enough.

Alix: Perhaps the torte was telling you something - "see the hole in my middle - please fill it up with goodies". (just a guess. LOL)

made blueberry danish. used crescent dough (creative dough) can use crescent rolls but roll of dough works better. the dough is spread with a cream cheese mixture and jam in an indention on the top of each roll. have used other jams , so pretty much you like. then has a pwd sugar glaze. very yummy.

I did my baking yesterday, as is seen in my frosting thread.
Thank you, Alix!

All in all, not a bad effort.
It's too hot to bake here right now.
Most homes here don't have AC, so no oven activity unless it's a fairly cool day, like yesterday. (woo hoo)
I made a dark chocolate devil's food cake, and a GF chocolate pie.

The only reason it was dark chocolate is b/c I haven't figured out who I have to beat up to find a box of plain dutched cocoa powder. I went to darn near every store in town, to no avail. The dark chocolate was a nice foil for the sweet frosting. I got lots of compliments on it at our church luncheon today. :)

Cherry sherry muffins

I'm currently making Cherry sherry muffins. They're no big surprise just a standard muffin recipe with a 1/8th C Sherry and quartered cherries as the feature.

made a banana cake yesterday. Was really moist and good when hot from the oevn. Had some for breakfast this morning.

Today I am baking a Lemon cheese pie. It is a recipe that my husband loves that his mom makes. So she gave me the recipe and I am making it for the first time today. *fingers crossed*

Today I made Apple and cherry pocket pies. Bought this cute cut outs from Williams Sonoma so I thought I would try it out. The cherry was too mess so that is why they are not in the pic. Also the cutouts recommend a different recipe for the crust which will probably work better. Will do that next time.

Attachments

• 100_4703.jpg
    100_4703.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 182
I am going to give the apple and cherry pocket pies another try. I hope they turn out better. I might also bake some cinnamon raisin bread.

Gotta' get some Splenda, then I'm working on my new quick bread recipe - again. . . .

Dave, the Splenda site (both Canadian and US) has the best chocolate cake recipe there. My Dad has type II diabetes and he is allowed that cake. He loves it! It calls for both regular Splenda and the brown sugar blend. When I made it the first time I didn't have the blend but found out I could use half the amount of plain brown sugar and it worked. Since then I have used the blend and it is great.

Keep us posted on that quick bread okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom