"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1141
Sous Chef
made color for pumpernickel - ready to try again, duplicating the Black Angus Steakhouse bread.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #1142
Executive Chef
I have been trying to resist this, but I lost. Am making an apple pie, crust dough is chilling in the frig. I have been picking some lovely apples lately, working on a tree right now that stongly resembles a winesap.

and some oven roasted sweet potatoes

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #1143
Head Chef
Yes, it is too darn hot here to bake, but I did it anyway. My DH (aka Cookie Man) was out of cookies, which takes some of the sparkle out of his life. And a dear friend has had a death in the family, so needs some comfort. Made chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips and toasted walnuts. They are good, but need some special handling here. I let them cool on a rack, but if I leave them too long, they begin to absorb the humidity and turn back into globs of cookie dough. So I cook them a little crisp, then pack them away airtight as quickly as I can.
Saludos, Karen
Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #1144
Sous Chef
Pumpernickel color agent come out very well, so I gave in to temptation and have a new batch of dark rye working. Just starting it's first rise. We'll see how it comes out. Should be ready when #1 Judge (DW) gets home from work. Anxious to see how many "thumbs up" I get.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #1145
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have a pizza base left from last Saturday's demo, so tonight I'll roast off some veggies, smear the base with pesto, top with the roasted veggies and fresh mozzarella.
too easy, and yummy in the tummy.

I'm also thinking about Coconut Pie for breaking the fast on Thursday, so if I can get one made before the debate, I might just do that, too.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #1146
Sous Chef
Bread came out beautifully; I made mini-loaves. I do detect a slight, bitter aftertaste - -Any ideas, suggestions?????????????? All will be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #1147
Master Chef
I have rolls rising. I may bake something else later, not sure what.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #1148
Chef Extraordinaire
making "outback" bread and a snickerdoodle pie. both for guests.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
Old 10-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #1149
Head Chef
Made 2 loaves of NYT whole wheat (25% whole wheat flour) in my newly acquired Thrift Store bakers.

And 2 loaves of seeded Italian. I made one braided for a dinner we're hosting tonight. Should have made it shorter so it would have risen more, but it will be fine as it is. I just won't show them the regular loaf.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #1150
Pie, pie and more pie.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Closed Thread

rye bread