"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #1261
Senior Cook

Chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies and a loaf of NYT bread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #1262
Sous Chef

Have you priced nuts lately????? Henry's Farmer's market (left coast chain) had pecan PIECES for $8.79 lb in bulk. But Costco has 2 lbs of HALVES for $8.89. Walnuts seem a little cheaper, but wow everything has gone up so much!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #1263
Master Chef

I can just imagine........the last time I was in Houston (June) I was shocked at the prices.......I can just imagine what they must be like now...........if you own your property and know that you're going to be there a few years try planting some pecan trees..........not only will they provide shade but they'll give you nuts as well......of course you'll have to make a deal with the squirrels......:)
Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #1264
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I can just imagine........the last time I was in Houston (June) I was shocked at the prices.......I can just imagine what they must be like now...........if you own your property and know that you're going to be there a few years try planting some pecan trees..........not only will they provide shade but they'll give you nuts as well......of course you'll have to make a deal with the squirrels......:)
I have a good recipe for squirrel....also have one for rabbits that fancy my garden and deer that nibble my shrubbery and Mama's flowers. I have a problem with sharing my harvest with critters.

JoeV
Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #1265
Cook

I baked a batch of blueberry muffins this morning and plan to bake some chocolate-chocolate chip cupcakes for dessert this evening. We've got chocolate and vanilla icing, crushed Oreos and rainbow sprinkles to decorate with.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #1266
Everymom

Well I'm contemplating cinnamon buns with cream cheese icing. I'll likely do those and then do some kind of pie thingy for dessert. Maybe my twist on Crewsk's chocolate peanut butter pie.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #1267
Sous Chef

Nothing today; going to do the street fair scene in Carlsbad instead. Thinking of trying the NYT bread tomorrow. I've got a medium sized Romer Topf just waiting for some action. Hey, JoeV: do you have to grease it or just leave it as is?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #1268
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Nothing today; going to do the street fair scene in Carlsbad instead. Thinking of trying the NYT bread tomorrow. I've got a medium sized Romer Topf just waiting for some action. Hey, JoeV: do you have to grease it or just leave it as is?
Dave,

You do not have to grease your clay baker. I spray my parchment paper with cooking spray, and the finished loaf drops right out. I had one loaf stick to the parchment paper, so I've sprayed ever since. Have you checked out the parchment paper tutorial?

JoeV
Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #1269
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'll be serving as an election official on Tuesday and everyone brings all kinds of homemade goodies to enjoy during the long day.

I just finished making two different batches of cake mix cookies. One of butter cake mix that I added chopped nuts and flaked coconut to and another of devils food cake mix with semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips and chopped nuts.

Each recipe made 4 dozen so I'm set. The house smells yummy, too.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #1270
Master Chef

Yummo, Katie..................

Tags
rye bread