What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a late start but I've just put one of my Black Devil's Food cakes in the oven.

It's a bit weird living at two places at the moment. Glenn will be here (at my house) for dinner tomorrow night and I've been so busy closing the shop and getting things packed to move to his house that I have to live in two places at once.

The cake is beginning to smell really, really gooooood!:)

do you have a recipe posted? it sounds good. btw can the rum be omitted in the glaze? we love butter-pecan but the hub doesn't like "uncooked" liquor.

I don't have a recipe as such, I just use a butter-pecan cake mix and add vanilla pudding, sour cream and rum. There's more to it than that but I can't remember at the moment and my notes are at Glenns's house. As for the glaze, you can use rum extract instead. It'll achieve pretty much the same end taste.

I don't have a recipe as such, I just use a butter-pecan cake mix and add vanilla pudding, sour cream and rum. There's more to it than that but I can't remember at the moment and my notes are at Glenns's house. As for the glaze, you can use rum extract instead. It'll achieve pretty much the same end taste.
thank you katie!!

and now i want your devils food cake!!

img_862145_0_97c0d627d1f3975d8133553dd40e8bcf.jpg

I know what you mean. I'm going to have to exercise every bit of self-control I have to keep from cutting into it tonight. Glenn loves it, too, and will eat a big slab of it for dessert tomorrow night. I'm even going to slather on some creamy cocoa frosting. Gilding the lily, I know, but the "devil" made me do it.:angel:

thank you katie!!

and now i want your devils food cake!!

img_862146_0_97c0d627d1f3975d8133553dd40e8bcf.jpg

I know what you mean. I'm going to have to exercise every bit of self-control I have to keep from cutting into it tonight. Glenn loves it, too, and will eat a big slab of it for dessert tomorrow night. I'm even going to slather on some creamy cocoa frosting. Gilding the lily, I know, but the "devil" made me do it.:angel:
well look at that pic i gilded the daylights outta it!! LOL :chef: :LOL:

Baked up some ultimate brownies...will never be able to duplicate as I will not be buying semi-sweet chocolate again, only bittersweet. I find as I get older the less sugar I want and the darker my chocolate gets.

I took a fennel bulb and chopped off the fronds, set them aside to dry out. I then sliced the bulb very thin and sauteed it in butter with pecans, sliced granny smiths, cinnamon and honey. Allowed it to cool. Rolled out some pizza dough I had and covered it with the saute and rolled it up and cut into 8 buns. In a 9x9 bake dish I spooned some of the leftover saute into the bottom and topped it with the buns. Allowed to rise for about an hour. Baked for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees, allowed to cool. Served topped with whipped cream. It was very yummy for dessert and not too sweet. I'm not sure what I will call it, but DH was very wary of it because of the fennel...it added a different texture than the mushy apples. He loved it!

Last edited:
just baked a batch of chewy brownies...the house smells heavenly...yumm

I baked chocolate chip cake yesterday. Today will be something cookie, and tomorrow something chocolate to take to a meeting. Probably brownies as we need to serve lots of folks.

Did gingerbread cookies yesterday and today will be something chocolate and yummy. I need to take something to a ball meeting so I thought I'd sweeten them all up!

I'm baking artisian bread ala Artisian Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The recipe I'm using is a variation I found at recipezaar:The Master Recipe:Boule-Artisian Bread. This recipe rocks!

Then I plan to make Banana Nut Bread. I have two recipes I want to try, one adds blackberry jam to the batter, which sounds interesting.:chef:

Diabetic Chocolate Cherry Brownies for my Dad. I know that probably sounds like an oxymoron, but that is what the recipe is called! He keeps asking if I need help so I think that is a hint he wants me to get started on them LOL!

making a pumpkin roll cake and gingerbread with golden raisins soaked in dark rum.and chopped toasted pecans... I think I've lost my mind trying this:LOL:
kades

I just baked my favorite Chinese restaurant dish for the first time: Whole Chicken Stuffed with Sticky Rice. I had to debone the bird intact, then stuff it with sticky rice mixed with good things like bits of dried mushrooms, dried shrimps, and chinese sausages. I couldn't wait for the moment of truth -- but when I finally unwrapped the cooked chicken from the foil, I was crest-fallen: The chicken had split wide open at the tummy area. I had put too much stuffing and the rice had expanded and my chicken kinda 'exploded'. All the wonderful juices had oozed out of the cavity instead of combining with the rice to produce moistness and great flavour. It was still good to eat though. But it could have been much better.

Now I know what not to do next time!

The diabetic brownies turned out just okay, I was surprised there was so much baking POWDER in them so they were cakey and dry. Next time I will cut it a bit and also lessen the baking time. But Dad is happy and that is all that counts.

Today is a test run on a gingerbread cake for a an event coming up. It will be carved into a gingerbread house, iced with chocolate frosting and decorated with gingerbread cookie roof, etc.

I am also hoping to make a batch of cookies, not sure what kind.

I am baking my pumpkin pie for tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me...I am going to try it in the roaster I just had to buy! The manual says it can bake fruit pies so I am gonna try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom