What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, here I go again on the Smarties. A friend of mine actually tried to tell us that she could taste the difference between the orange ones and the others. We blindfolded her and, alas....she couldn't :LOL:

No wonder I don't get anything baked, I am on the computer too much! Well tomorrow I have been a good girl and rested my leg almost all day so I am hoping tomorrow I can get some stuff done.

I actually just looked up Smarties on wikipedia. In the UK the orange ones taste like orange. Before 1958 the dark brown ones were plain chocolate and the light brown ones taste like coffee.
I grew up eating the British smarties so I remember the orange. They were my favorite and still are. At Halloween they do a whole tube of the orange ones. They sure are tasty!

Get out! Smarties used to have FLAVORS? YUM!!! Orange and chocolate....to die for! And yes jkath, I have the mini M&M's. I have used them a few times, and we like to buy them in those cute little tubes for the kids to munch on. I still prefer Smarties though.

I had one of those days yesterday where I didn't get ANYTHING done. So today for SURE I am going to get those bars made. LOL.

Get out! Smarties used to have FLAVORS? YUM!!! Orange and chocolate....to die for! And yes jkath, I have the mini M&M's. I have used them a few times, and we like to buy them in those cute little tubes for the kids to munch on. I still prefer Smarties though.

I had one of those days yesterday where I didn't get ANYTHING done. So today for SURE I am going to get those bars made. LOL.

Actually, Alix, last year we got Smarties from DH's work, I think they were clearing them out. One box was all white (vanilla) another was orange, another was mixed pastel colours with "Sundae Flavours". They were good, though I have never seen them since or anywhere else.

A wonderful load of brioche for breakfast-- spread with butter and orange marmalade for me, and covered in havarti for DH. The havarti was better. :)

bagels bagels bagels bagels bagels
oh, and a few muffins
TGIM!!!!

good ole choc chippers ... DH took the easy way out and spread the dough in a stoneware bar pan and made squares. They are FABULOUS!

My double decker brownies were sooooo good! I am so sad they are all gone. They were chewy and got better the next day. I'm gonna have to make more very soon.

Today it is peach raspberry cake. The fruit is added after 15 minutes of baking so it stays on the top. It goes very fast, so I think I will make two.

Ever happened to you?

So I just made my peach raspberry cake.

I've made this cake many times. I don't know where my brain was today when I was making it. I doubled the recipe and I noticed two things when I started pouring them in the pans. First, that there wasn't much batter and second, that it seemed drier and thicker than usual. I realized I forgot to put in a whole cup of flour! After I scooped the batter back into the bowl and added the flour then poured it back in the pan, I rechecked the ingredients to find I forgot the baking powder. Back in the bowl. Then I rechecked the recipe after I had added the powder to realize I misread the 1/4 tsp baking soda (I thought it said 1 1/4 tsp). Now there is 2 tsp too many of baking powder. It still looks dry when I put it in the pans. It dawns on me that I forgot the yogurt! Yikes! Back onto the bowl. Finally all the ingredients are in (and way too much baking soda).

I put it in the oven and wait 15 minutes until the top of the cake is somewhat set. The fruit gets put on top where it is supposed to stay. I think because of the added soda, there was too much air in the batter. My peaches sunk but the crushed raspberries were able to stay on top.

What a space case I am! I'm not usually that airheaded! I don't know what happened to me today. :wacko:

Cakes are in the oven now. We have yet to see how they taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom